Serious crash in OSX

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Serious crash in OSX

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

I was working on a simple paragraph for french class when the screen just darkened and a box popped up saying:
OSX wrote:You need to restart you computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Reset button.

Veuillez red?marrer votre ordinateur. Maintenez la touche de d?marrage enfonc?e pendant plusieurs secondes ou bien appuyez sur le bouton de r?initialisation.

Sie m?ssen Ihren Computer neu starten. Halten Sie dazu die Einschalttaste einige Sekunden gedr?ckt oder dr?cken Sie die Neustart-Taste

<it said it again in Japanese>

FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
anyone know why it may have done this? it didn't even leave a crash log...
all I had open was iTunes, Word v.X, Internet Explorer, and I was getting online....
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

you must be using a g3 with a old video card mine old g3 did that all the time because it didnt support opengl so everything i ran put a extra load on the cpu and it crashed buy a new video card and do the quartz hack and you will be a ok
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

I used to get that error from playing Medal of Honor,sometimes i would crash like that. I think it is a graphical thing.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

I have a graphite G4 (with vertical sound) and an ati rage pro in the agp slot
this is my signature
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

i've gotten it once before, but after a restart, it hasnt popped up since
erise
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by erise »

Sometimes my G4 400 crashes if a CD is left in the drive when not in use after installing a Pioneer 105 DVD burner.
Thargok
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Thargok »

Kernel Panics are FUN!
Yvan Zivkovic
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Yvan Zivkovic »

I got these a few years ago and I had NO IDEA what they were. They are basically Kernel Panics with a graphical interface. For anyone who's used OS 9 and below, its like getting a Bomb Error.

Kernel Panics usually happen when OS X is doing something its not meant to, or you've done something to mess things up.

Kernel Panics can be shown in 2 ways, either in a little bow in the middle of the screen, telling you to restart your computer in multiple languages, or a Unix like terminal writing appearing on your screen, over the tasks you were doing. Which ever one you may get, you'll need to restart.
KeithIrwin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by KeithIrwin »

Since Yvan has brought this back up to the top again, I'll throw my 2 cents in.

I used to get kernel panics frequently with 10.0.x, but they got rid of most of them when they went to 10.1. Kernel panics occur only when there are serious bugs in code being run as part of the kernel or when there are significant hardware faults. So, since serious hardware faults are rare, mostly this means bugs in the kernel and certain low-level drivers, such as disc, graphics, I/O, and network drivers. There probably are still some flaws in the main kernel, but not much. It has been fairly extensively tested on most computer models and I think that about all of them have been found. It's most likely to be a flaw in one of your low-level drivers. If you have any drivers which you have installed for low-level hardware components (you probably don't have to worry about drivers for printers, scanners, monitors, or input devices like keyboards, mice, or joysticks), then check to see if there is a newer version of them available. If they happen quite frequently, you probably need to try uninstalling drivers and/or hardware to see what the problem is. If it happens very infrequently, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It will likely be fixed by some future update to the driver software.

That's the general information. Here's my specific guess: you said that you were getting on-line. This invokes kernel code to create a new network interface. This is most likely to be the problem. I have no idea how you get on-line, whether it's through modem or wired broadband or WiFi or what, but that's most likely where your driver problem is. If you're not using any third-party or non-standard drivers, then you probably can't do a thing about it. If you are, you can try reinstalling them, although that may or may not improve things. They may just be buggy. I know mine is. I use the freeware wireless driver (http://wirelessdriver.sourceforge.net/), and although it's better than nothing, using it is fraught with peril of kernel panic. I get about one a week. It's always when putting in or taking out the PC-card or if I leave it in when I put the computer to sleep and then wake it again. I know how to reproduce it pretty well, though, so I might try to fix it when I have some time this summer.

Keith
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

since that day, I have gotten that same error twice, once in 10.2 and once in 10.3 and ever since I reformatted, partitioned and completely reinstalled OS9 and 10.3 I've been getting a lot more crashes, errors, and programs spontaneously quitting, and its been going really slow (like typing this, it waits a little less than a second before showing the letter on screen after I hit the key)
this is my signature
Yvan Zivkovic
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Yvan Zivkovic »

I had a similar problem, thought it was my Bluetooth keyboard.

All I can recommend is a repair permissions from Disk Utility and see if it helps.
Thargok
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Thargok »

USB is usually the culprit. Some devices have pesky firmwares, Apple trys to incorporate them in nearly every update, and usually breaks compatibility at the same time. Needless to say the system interprets each problem differently.