Crystal Xbox = fake?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Crystal Xbox = fake?

Post by Lunchbox »

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/476/476157p1.html
January 28, 2004 - Rumors circulating around the 'Net say that Microsoft Europe is set to release a new limited edition, "Crystal" Xbox. The new, clear unit is said to be identical to the current model, except that it has a 20GB hard drive, double the current capacity. The photos in the media page show a new box package, the console, and the transparent white controllers.

Is it real? We contacted Microsoft for an official comment, but did not receive one in time for publish. What do we think? We here at IGN think it's completely bogus. The box package and controllers look decent, but at the same time have a fake quality about them. This could be because the pictures are artist's rendition, but we doubt it.
As for the console itself, the image is, um, clearly a photo of a see-through Xbox. That means it must be real, right? Not exactly. See, development Xbox consoles are the very same color - clear white. The image could easily be a Photoshopped image of a development kit.

The other telling piece of information is the 20GB hard drive. Considering that Microsoft loses so much money on the console as is, and the fact that most of us have yet to fill the current hard drive to capacity, there's no point in having an upgraded hard drive. None at all.

Ultimately, we don't really know if it's fake or real until we hear back from the big M itself. Take a look at the photos yourself and tell us what you think. Cheers.
:(
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by MetalGearRay »

I don't care. I don't know why anybody would care. An Xbox is an Xbox. If it's real, it's just going to be a more expensive version of the Xbox. It plays games damnit, it's not going to a damn beauty contest!
Falcon4
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Falcon4 »

Xbox sucks. Get a Dreamcast ;)
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Falcon4 wrote: Xbox sucks. Get a Dreamcast :wink:
Uh, don't you think that the majority of people on this board, especially the regulars, already have a DC?

Anyway, I am only considerring an Xbox for the exploits that can be done with it and possibly a few games that were headed for other consoles, but may appear on the Xbox. Such as PDark0, Shenmue 3 (if ever released) and maybe some other games. As it stands, there isn't much on the Xbox that would keep me interested except for the exploits, linux, emulators and all the other things that MS wouldn't condone. :rumpshaker:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Falcon4
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Falcon4 »

They already got Linux running on an Xbox :P

Who cares anyway, we have PCs for that. And you can already hook your PC up to a TV and emulate anything. But a DC just makes that so much more convenient.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Falcon4 wrote: They already got Linux running on an Xbox :P
[sarcasm]Really? No foolin'?[/sarcasm]

I said that's the only things I would use it for, also the emulators.
EDIT: Implying that if I were to get an Xbox, it would be for the linux and emulators, etc. that are already released.

What I said isn't released is PD0 and Shenmue3. The only real things I am looking forward to about the Xbox. That is, IF they happen. Which they probably won't.

perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Falcon4 wrote:They already got Linux running on an Xbox :P

Who cares anyway, we have PCs for that. And you can already hook your PC up to a TV and emulate anything. But a DC just makes that so much more convenient.
Really ?

/Me wanders off to google to find a Gamecube emulator..
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

perry2175 wrote:
Falcon4 wrote:They already got Linux running on an Xbox :P

Really ?

/Me wanders off to google to find a Gamecube emulator..
I'll save you the trouble: http://www.dolphin-emu.com/ :wink:
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Neopunk
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by Neopunk »

xbox rulez
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Re: Crystal Xbox = fake?

Post by Alexvrb »

Lunchbox wrote:http://xbox.ign.com/articles/476/476157p1.html

[insert crap here]

You my friend just quoted IGN speculation. Read it more carefully. They might be right, they might be wrong, but they really suck at researching. There are ALREADY Xboxes shipping with >8GB capacity. They are all just formatted + partitioned so that the 10GB (and even some 20GB) drives have the same partitions as the original 8GB drives, for compatibility or whatever. You can mod it and get access to that extra space.

If you think that is stupid because its more expensive, capacity doesn't always determine cost when it comes to HDs, since it doesn't really cost extra anymore with the lower-capacity drive. Plus there's supply and demand, and availability. Also, the fact that they said that having more HD space is useless shows how stupid they are. If you can have linux, emulators, media players, etc, why WOULDN'T more HD space be good.

I'd also like to note that yes, a PC can do these things, but it usually can't do them for the same price ;). Also it can't play Xbox games yet, especially Live! games.
Falcon4
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Falcon4 »

[sarcasm]A PC can't emulate an Xbox yet?! How many years has the Xbox been out - and it can't be emulated?[/sarcasm]

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/xbox/xeon.html

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/xbox/cxbx.html
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Hey, smartass, they are not emulators :P
HA! He got you on that one, Falcon!

Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Re: Crystal Xbox = fake?

Post by Lunchbox »

Alexvrb wrote:
Lunchbox wrote:http://xbox.ign.com/articles/476/476157p1.html

[insert crap here]

You my friend just quoted IGN speculation. Read it more carefully. They might be right, they might be wrong, but they really suck at researching. There are ALREADY Xboxes shipping with >8GB capacity. They are all just formatted + partitioned so that the 10GB (and even some 20GB) drives have the same partitions as the original 8GB drives, for compatibility or whatever. You can mod it and get access to that extra space.

If you think that is stupid because its more expensive, capacity doesn't always determine cost when it comes to HDs, since it doesn't really cost extra anymore with the lower-capacity drive. Plus there's supply and demand, and availability. Also, the fact that they said that having more HD space is useless shows how stupid they are. If you can have linux, emulators, media players, etc, why WOULDN'T more HD space be good.

I'd also like to note that yes, a PC can do these things, but it usually can't do them for the same price ;). Also it can't play Xbox games yet, especially Live! games.
meh, i trust IGN and their "speculations" :wink: I posted it cuz i thought it was interesting
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

Roofus wrote:Crystal Xbox = real
that's cool, i'm liking that new XBL starter kit :D
Neopunk
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by Neopunk »

i wanna get a crystal xbox, even if it is fake i would pay 50000$ for one. that y im living in a trash can
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Lunchbox wrote: that's cool, i'm liking that new XBL starter kit :D
You couldnt just get the game and kit seperately for the $90 it costs?
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

Dr Wily wrote:
Lunchbox wrote: that's cool, i'm liking that new XBL starter kit :D
You couldnt just get the game and kit seperately for the $90 it costs?
it'll cost less to buy the Starter Kit than the game, Year of XBL, and Headset seperately
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

You don't get a headset and year of Live with the starter kit now? :?
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

wtf? let me rephrase:

The Starter kit costs less than purchasing the game seperately, the year of xbl seperately, and the headset seperately. better?