Sega Saturn

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DarkGambitX
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sega Saturn

Post by DarkGambitX »

Can DC emulate sega saturn? Is the emulater real and does it work??
sappel
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sappel »

NO it wil never happen! it is impossible for normal people to meulate it, even if SEGA would make a fine working emu, it would play the games with 1fps
Don't ever dream about it because it will never come
DarkGambitX
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DarkGambitX »

I thought it wasn't real. When i was donwloading....some stuff :wink: I seen something there about it. I thought it didn't exist.
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

...for old times sake...
Sega of Japan wrote:Offline - No confusion! No Boring! No Silence!
Online - No Loneliness! No Typing!
rbenchley
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by rbenchley »

When I was managing a FuncoLand video game store back in the summer of 1999, we used to get a magazine that was soley for video game retailers. The magazine had quite a bit of Dreamcast content at the time, due to the Dreamcast's launch date being a few months away. Anywho, there was an article in the magazine that mentioned that Sega was planning to sell a Saturn emulator for the Dreamcast in Japan, due to the Saturn's healthy sales in Japan. Unfortunately, it was never released. I believe that Sega's internal development team did in fact create a Saturn emulator. They were working on a similar architecture, and they had the time and resources to do a proper emulator. So while I think that it is technically possible to code a workable Saturn emulator for the Dreamcast, it would require an intimate knowledge of both the Saturn and Dreamcast, and the official development kits and documentation for both systems. In short, there's a snowball's chance in hell of there ever being a playable Saturn emulator for our beloved Dreamcast.
Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy.
-George Carlin
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

rbenchley wrote:So while I think that it is technically possible to code a workable Saturn emulator for the Dreamcast, it would require an intimate knowledge of both the Saturn and Dreamcast, and the official development kits and documentation for both systems.
I disagree. Similarities are minimal, and would not really help. A true emulator with decent speed would be impossible on DC.

Gambit: Next time do a quick search first, please.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

I shall Join you Hobbs :-)
DemoniusX
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by DemoniusX »

the problem is the dc would have to emulate all the micro processors and the two main processors. it is just too hard for the dc to emulate that sure you could emu a saturn, just would never be playable speed on the dc could not handle it, but it would be nice if some one proved me wrong
no other company in the gaming world will ever have the originality that sega and nintendo have to offer, PEROID. xbox and sony take a HIKE!!!!!
sbz -04-
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

imagine if someone got a RAM card like thing to work on a dreamcast.... that would be pretty sweet... emulation would be a lot easier to speed up

(Modem slot)
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Actually, it wouldn't affect the speed of emulation at all.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I doubt the modem slot has fast enough access speeds.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

the modem slot runs at (?) 24Mhz 16-bit so like 48Mbps max or something? unless i am doing the math wrong which is highly probable. This is slightly faster than PC-30 ram but is still hellah slow. The reason a RAM card would help is because it would allow you to have sloppy emulation sacraficing space for speed.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

methinks Hobbes is waiting for me to lock this...?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

might as well just let it die out, since it wasnt one of those newbie-ish 'GIMMIE SATURN EMU NOwZ!!!!!!!111', maybe a few people will say something and it will die. no need to lock :mrgreen:
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

quzar wrote:the modem slot runs at (?) 24Mhz 16-bit so like 48Mbps max or something? unless i am doing the math wrong which is highly probable. This is slightly faster than PC-30 ram but is still hellah slow. The reason a RAM card would help is because it would allow you to have sloppy emulation sacraficing space for speed.
Errm, but emus for don't have space problems except for storing the ROMs in memory. So that plan doesn't get off the ground. In fact, smaller programs will run better on the DC because of its limited memory/bus clock and its limited cache.

Now, I agree with you that it is too slow for use as regular memory by programs, but think of huge arcade games. The slot port might not be nearly as fast as internal memory, but might it be fast enough for storing some or all of a ROM. Or perhaps for holding stuff like background music, menus, etc so you don't have to take up main memory while playing a game.

Either way, it might be useful, but it sure isn't going to help emulation speed.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

hehe, on IMRtec there was someone saying they were gonna try to convert the GC GBA adapter to the DC, i dont think they even tried though.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Yeah, I doubt it. That sounds like a lot of work just to have Nintendo come to your house and kill you...
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

Alexvrb wrote:Yeah, I doubt it. That sounds like a lot of work just to have Nintendo come to your house and kill you...

:clap:

I had to go find a special smiley for that :lol:

As for getting this locked....?

HEy! Iam dissing all joo l00zers! DC is so lame! iT is teh sux0r!!!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

awww i likes the smily Hobbes. hehe yea that would be hilarious. Nintendo having some sort of raid on you for trying =P
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

"Wasn't there a house next door, where that smoldering crater is?"
"Yeah, but he got Nintendo really pissed at him. Something about GBA on Dreamcast"
"Wow, I'm surprised they didn't just virus bomb the whole street!!"