I keep getting a rundll32.exe error when logging off...

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Bolgan
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I keep getting a rundll32.exe error when logging off...

Post by Bolgan »

It doesn't do it everytime, but a lot of time I get an error when logging off (start menu/turn off computer) the says something like:

Rundll32.exe
The application failed to inilize because the system is shutting down.

The error only pops up for a few seconds, and doesn't seem to be doing any harm.But a couple of days ago I got the same error when logging off, but it wasn't a rundll32.exe error (not sure what file it was).
Anyway, while it was logging off, the hdd made some unhealthy sounds for 10 - 15 seconds.
(the same noise the hdd makes for a second or two when logging off.

I did a system restore to January 1st earlier today and it seemed to fix the problem.Then I used Ad-aware6.0 to scan for adware,then I quarantined the adware it found(all of it)

After I quarantined the adware it cause a problem:

-Every once and awhile the computer would shut-off and reboot.
It seemed like the RAM wasn't cleaning itself out, and when the RAM got full the computer would shut-off.(it did it 4 or 5 times in an hour)

I then restored the adware that was quarantined, and it seems to have fixed the problem(so far)

But now the rundll32 error is back :x

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Any help would be great.
RayQuaza
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by RayQuaza »

From what you said you mite have a virus or there is some installed program that has adware that ad aware can't remove correctly it's also possible that there is a program that is constantly writing to the drive that could be making that happen to you.

To find out if that is happening go to my computer\C:\windows\temp and look in there, If this is happening to you then you will see a bunch of files that all look the same and another file just like it appear after a few minutes go by, This is called constant write adware I used to get rundll32 errors becuase of that, What you have to do if it is that is go to the ad/remove programs in the control panel and see what programs are installed that you didn't install, That's how I stopped my rundll32 error.

Also run your scandisk if your on win98, If scandisk keeps starting over and it pops up the message that it can't complete the scanning then you know something is running in the background when it shouldn't.
I am the sleeping dragon god of the skies.
I am the only true master of the pokemon.
I AM Lord WARQUAZA!
Bolgan
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Bolgan »

I fixed the problem (I think)

It was adware causing the problem.

Thanks for the help.