Commodore 64

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
jin16
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Commodore 64

Post by jin16 »

Is this emulator the nintendo emu?
Or what is it?
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

The commodore 64 is an 8 bit personal computer from the mid-80's.

It has nothing to do with the NES.
prymetyme2
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by prymetyme2 »

Tear.
You gotta eat lightning and crap thunder.
Dr.Kno
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Dr.Kno »

Tear? What? Anyway, yeah. Its a totally different video game system. Same bits as nes but in my opinion no where near as good for one reason; MARIO. But it does have a huge cult following. Its worth a try. |/|
Herby
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Herby »

Holy smoke do I feel old reading this.

The Commodore 64 actually was not a video game system. It was a computer. It had pretty much NES quality games, some better/some worse like any system I suppose. It also had the typical applications that a personal computer at the time would have.

Dreamfrodo is the current emu of choice for it.

I'm not sure about it's "cult" status, just that a ton of people had them and remember the system very fondly.
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by molotovwars »

doesn't that somewhat "define a cult"
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Herby wrote:The Commodore 64 actually was not a video game system. It was a computer.
Well, if you count the Commodore GS which was released in Europe, which is a Commodore 64 with no expansion slot that only took cartridges, then yes - it was a video game system. :P

The Commodore 64 itself also had a cartridge reader add-on and hooked up to the television to try to become more of a console, and try to take on the NES head-on.

It's sort of a hybrid computer/console. But, it's a computer first and foremost. :)
Spector
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Spector »

Commodore 64 a cult following? It's the biggest selling computer of all time, and certainly contributed a lot more to videogaming than Nintendo did.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Ah the old C64GS, I remember it well though mine is put away these days, always wanted to mod it with a kb as I didnt have a 64 back then, never got round to it though. As for biggest selling I raise the Spectrum flag
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Spector wrote:Commodore 64 a cult following? It's the biggest selling computer of all time, and certainly contributed a lot more to videogaming than Nintendo did.
I think you'll find you're wrong on both of those counts...
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

Dr Wily wrote:
Spector wrote:Commodore 64 a cult following? It's the biggest selling computer of all time, and certainly contributed a lot more to videogaming than Nintendo did.
Is he? Which computer sold more than the C64? Spectrum maybe? I googled for numbers but couldn't find anything conclusive.
Spector
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Spector »

Dr Wily wrote:
I don't think I will, Willy :lol:
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Well, according to the Guiness Book of Records the C64 is indeed the worlds best selling computer - which surprised me as I assumed the x86 based PC would be. Perhaps the diversity of manufacturers excludes that from such lists though.

As for the C64s contribution to gaming - no, clearly not. With the exception of Rob Hubbards musical compositions I can't think of any gaming legacys it has left us.
Did it have a lot of good games? Yup.
Were most of the classics arcade conversions? Yup.

Compared to Nintendo whose legacy includes the cartridge format, light guns, 'multitaps' as standard (damn you Sony and your wilful ignorance of this), portable gaming both with unchangeable games (Game & Watch) and changeable (Gameboy), analogue controls as standard (arguably the PC did this first, but I would suggest that was more games adapting to the controls available than deciding to implement a control scheme to suit the games) as well as games that spawned entire genres (Mario 64, Mario Kart, Duck Hunt, Mach Racer, Metroid etc) - and all thats just off the top of my head.

Ahhhhh.... its debates like this that make me almost wish we still had our classic gaming forum...
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Dr, please explain how the nintendos legacy includes the cart format. did't they have games in cart format before NES? Also How Light Guns fit in (the Oddosy had one if I am thinking of the right system) Also with the game watch, didn't they have portables that were just a little bit larger. (IE Football, with the single red lights and what not?) Just curious on if you mean made them popular, or introduced them?

You know what is interesting, Sega giving consoles the pause button. (the Master system with the pause button directly on the console was the first unless i am mistaken.)
prymetyme2
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by prymetyme2 »

Dr.Kno wrote:Tear? What? Anyway, yeah. Its a totally different video game system. Same bits as nes but in my opinion no where near as good for one reason; MARIO. But it does have a huge cult following. Its worth a try. |/|
Sorry I thought it was an obvious joke, but I'll spell it out for you. Tear was implying it's sad that now no one knows what a commodore 64 is anymore.

And yes. It's a computer not a video game system.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Dr Wily wrote:Compared to Nintendo whose legacy includes the cartridge format
That would be attributed to the Magnavox Oddysey - which was the first video game console with interchangable cartridges
Dr Wily wrote:lightguns
There were discrete circuitry arcade games which used light guns in the 1970s. The Oddysey also beat the NES in the home market for this, as you could buy a light rifle for the unit.
Dr Wily wrote:'multitaps' as standard (damn you Sony and your wilful ignorance of this)
The Colecovision had multiple controller extensions for multi-player gaming, so you could hook up to four controllers at once
Dr Wily wrote:portable gaming both with unchangeable games (Game & Watch)
I believe Tomy had the first portable gaming system using discrete circuitry. There were a lot of portable games before the Game and Watch
Dr Wily wrote:and changeable (Gameboy)
The Mattel Microvision was the first portable gaming system to have interchangeable cartridges.
Dr Wily wrote:analogue controls as standard (arguably the PC did this first, but I would suggest that was more games adapting to the controls available than deciding to implement a control scheme to suit the games)
Considering you are comparing a computer's legacy to a console's legacy, I think it's only fair to give this to the PC as it was the first as far as I know.
as well as games that spawned entire genres (Mario 64, Mario Kart, Duck Hunt, Mach Racer, Metroid etc) - and all thats just off the top of my head.
We are comparing the Commodore 64 to the NES not Nintendo as a whole. Out of that list only Mario 64 and Mario Kart were really innovations from what was available before - and they were first on the Nintendo 64 and SNES respectively. Metroid was a good game, but it wasn't the first side scrolling walk, jump, and shoot game. (there were many games of this genre on Commodore 64 and other computer systems before Metroid even came out) Also, Duck Hunt wasn't the first lightgun game, and Mach Racer wasn't the first racing game of it's kind.
Spector
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Spector »

I guess MetaFox nailed that one for me quite hard, saved me a lot of work, thanks. )()(
Yes, Duck Hunt was not the first light gun game, and tragically it wasn't the last. :D
Kim Lemon
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Kim Lemon »

Looks like some people are in need of consumer guidance; http://www.lemon64.com :lol:
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

analogue controls as standard (arguably the PC did this first, but I would suggest that was more games adapting to the controls available than deciding to implement a control scheme to suit the games)
The BBC computers also had this - they joysticks were all analog, using pretty much the same interface that PCs used. I don't know which came first though.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

I would say the demo scene on the c64 really was a lot better then even the pc side for many years but also the warez side i think created the idiots today. Turrcan I think is better then metroid on the c64, whole game genre were created for the c64. I see a lot of knock off copy games from the c64 claimed as new on other systems. Sound is a lot better then the nes grafix can look as good but Nes has a slight advantage Mario could be done with out to much problem check out gina sisters . C64 has Far more really bad titles that you will be playing a lot of duff duff before you get to the games as good or better then nes titles. Lot of arcade ports as well.

for a new person looking throu 4000 games you will find many are quiet poor. When you do find a jem it will be high class.Over all the nes is better due to not allowing so many subpoor games.But some games were homebrew developers in there bed-room and sold the games throu major software houses of the time. I doubt that happen for nintendo. So there are more Original games on commodore by a long way.
Dreamcast forever!!!