Real Media DC player

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
ysselc
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Real Media DC player

Post by ysselc »

Is anyone working on one?
Bero's player doesnt play rm like it claims.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Hi, try the search function there Clessy. Serious, this isn't the first time this has been answered. It DOES play Real Media. OLD Real Media. I don't even know if there are any legal solutions to play the newer RM with anything but Real's software.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Alexvrb wrote:Hi, try the search function there Clessy. Serious, this isn't the first time this has been answered. It DOES play Real Media. OLD Real Media. I don't even know if there are any legal solutions to play the newer RM with anything but Real's software.
I'm pretty sure there isn't. If there was, I would be almost certain that Winamp (for your PC) would support playing rm files. AFAIK, RealPlayer has its own format of files that cannot be played on any other players without explicit permission from the company that makes the RealPlayer.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

I don't even know if there are any legal solutions to play the newer RM with anything but Real's software.
Media Player Classic can play rm files.. but you need to install Real One Player or an illegal real codec pack
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

How much of RM is open-source?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
karsh
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by karsh »

umm sorry to bring back an old topic back to life (hey atleast i didnt open a new topic and waste a few kb right? lol). anyway, i have a lot of anime on cd that happen to be encoded in realplayer with ".rm" and the occasional ".rmvb" extensions. I cant find anything on Beros player (forgive me, im a noob), and i was wondering if it would play those type of files. If you cant give me an answer, can i find out how i would know?

also, would it be possible to see some real player in newer players like DCplaya. I mean, it could use the stripped down real alternative code which uses media player classic instead of the memoryhog realone, but what do i know about coding :roll:
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

No, Beros player doesn't play .rm files, at least the newer ones. What I do is just convert the .rm into .avi so dcdivx or beros player could play it. I dunno why anyone hasn't ported media player classic to the dc, I don't think it would be too much of a memory hog nor do I think its open source. But I could be wrong.
cristfc
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by cristfc »

Real Media player for Dreamcast sounds great, i think none dc media players play RM files.... ?:(
Again, Legendary Levels return!!
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

cristfc wrote:Real Media player for Dreamcast sounds great, i think none dc media players play RM files.... :(
AFAIK, nothing has changed since we made our initial responses 8 months ago.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.