You know what would really help?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

You know what would really help?

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

A broadband adapter. F**CKING serial's transfer rate sucks. The most I really would allow myself to spend on one right now is $100. The auctions for them on ebay are always over that. Who here actually has one anyways? I hope I don't sound like I'm whining but I feel like I have to test after almost ever little bit of code I write when coding for a system where step by step debugging is impossible. And every test run take over a minute to upload to the DC. I'd better double check that I have dc-tool running at the fastest baud rate.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice
Been thanked: 0

Post by toastman »

Heh heh.
You and me both. You and me both.
No signature.
cube323
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cube323 »

If SuperFamicast is as promising as it sounds, I'd be willing to donate a few bucks.

Maybe we should have a fund raiser? Or even, a raffle. I have a GBA Game Shark in the package that I'd be willing to donate. Anyone else out there have any ideas. I'm serious about the fund raiser. People who attempt to make quality emu's, and there are many, deserve some support from the fan community.
law
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by law »

hehe we have several coders who deserve a bba...

the dcplaya team needs one
scherzo needs one
the list goes on :)
ImageImage
cube323
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cube323 »

Im serious about the fund raiser idea. You never know, if we got a few items we could put them on ebay. Or we could hold a raffle. I really want to help give the DC emu community a shot in the arm. It seems like its really starting to pick up speed.
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

Hell, I bought mine for $125 almost 2 years ago.
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

Why don't you set up a PayPal account? For people it is the easiest way to donate to a coder. I'm for once are to lazy to get behind my desk for sending a BBA to someone. Put typing my credit card numbers into a site doesn't cost me energy :mrgreen:.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Someone mentioned that the serial port in the DC is capable of much better speeds than a standard PC serial port (in relative terms, still much slower than a BBA). Could we create an adapter that connects to a faster port on our PC, like USB or parallel? Would that be expensive or difficult?
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Captain Skyhawk wrote:Why don't you set up a PayPal account? For people it is the easiest way to donate to a coder. I'm for once are to lazy to get behind my desk for sending a BBA to someone. Put typing my credit card numbers into a site doesn't cost me energy :mrgreen:.
It's an idea that crossed my mind. It would really speed up development, but I would almost feel like a beggar. If you guys are cool with it, I'll do it though. And nothing more than the BBA. This isn't a business for me. It's a passion!
Lavalord
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Lavalord »

Open the account. I'll donate. :D
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

OK, if anyone would like to help me to acquire a BBA, you can make a donation to my paypal account here:

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business= ... y_code=USD

The best I can do is give you my promise that any money donated will go solely towards the purchase of a Dreamcast Broadband Adapter, probably through an ebay auction. Any money left over will be distributed back to all that donated based on the amount of their donation. So, if too many people donate too much money (yeah right) they will get a good portion of it back.

I just want to say that if not enough, or absolutely no people donate and I am unable to buy a BBA, it will NOT affect my desire to work on Super Famicast. Things will just be slower than if I did have one and I will just make due until I have some extra cash of my own.

Here's a URL that searches Ebay for "Dreamcast Broadband" so you can maybe get a rough idea about how much I'll to get one.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... +broadband

Thanks in advance to everyone, donate or not...
Back to work.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

good luck! :wink:
burnerO
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by burnerO »

If money is tight, I'd suggest trying to get a LAN adapter.

It should be significantly cheaper and serves the same purpose development wise.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

I'd take either, but I never see the LAN adapter on ebay.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

I don't get it. I don't mean to sound negative or anything, but people had problems giving away money as part of that contest we were talking about in another thread and that was frowned upon bcause it was too close to paying for an emu, but its ok to give this guy money?
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

Because, Lunchbox, this goes back to my suggestion for the contest: why not donate things authors need for development? This is a backwards situation, but it would still be used for development: buying a LAN adapter.

If you read my 2nd or 3rd post in that thread, you will see exactly what I'm talking about. I believe Ender had the same idea ;)

Btw, scherzo, I will try to donate if my funds are looking right ;)
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

ok ok, thanks for clearing that up :mrgreen:
CyberMick
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by CyberMick »

Where can you actualy buy a Lan adaptor other than e-bay?
Regards.

CyberMick.
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

lots of Hong Kong firms do em but it takes a bit of searching ;)
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

:mrgreen: ALRIGHTY! I just won an auction on ebay for a broadband adapter at a reasonable price of $107.50 including shipping. Thanks to impetus and lavalord who together donated a very appreciated $25 (actually $23.67 because of the fees paypal charged me for recieving these donations). So my part came to $83.83, much below what I considered to be my highest price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1073932576

Now I'll be able to work even faster. Someone in here once questioned how can I be coding if they see me posting and browsing this forum all the time. And the answer is that there's plenty of time for the message board when you have to wait about two minutes each time you upload a new test to your DC. Thanks again to those who donated and to everyone else who didn't flame me for asking for a little bit of help.