Action Replay CDX Demo Version - DiscJugggler Image download

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Action Replay CDX Demo Version - DiscJugggler Image download

Post by az_bont »

Action Replay CDX Demo Version - DiscJuggler Image

I've made a confirmed-working DiscJuggler image of the Action Replay CDX Demo, for which the plain files are offered as a free legal download at boob!.

cdi2nero is also included for making a working Nero image file (not for Nero 6).

Download cdx_demo.zip (975KB)

EDIT: Link updated to reflect new download location.
Last edited by az_bont on Mon May 31, 2004 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
ps2emufordc
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by ps2emufordc »

Would you tell us some of the codes on it before I burn the disk?

Thanks.
Progress on Blame!
the Playstation 2 emulator
for the Dreamcast:

ver 0.001
-Disk now spins the correct direction
-Sliding tray emulated (use the OPEN button)
-That's about it.

UPDATE!!!: Now delivering nearly .75% promised features!
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Crazy Taxi
Finish Game with 99999 cash
Infinite Game Time
Infinite Passenger Time

House of the Dead 2
Ammo. no reloads Plr 1
Infinite Health Player 1
Infinite Continues
Amy Costume in Boot (orig)
Bass Lure in Boot (orig)
Brune Costume in Boot (orig)
Bullet Blow in Boot (orig)
Inf chamber in Boot (orig)
Inf Credit in Boot (original)

Rayman 2
Infinite Energy
No Textures on map

Sonic Adventure
Always have 999 gold rings
Infinite Lives
Timer always set to 00:00:01
Turn on Debug mode

Soul Reaver
Have all abilities
Have all Emblems
Have all Glyphs
Have Maximum Power Bar
Infinite Magic

Tomb Raider 4
Infinite Small Medkits
Infinite Large Medkits
Infinite Flares
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Eugh, if its anything like the full version it sucks, skippy menus and all.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

It's actually a totally different program from the full Action Replay/Gameshark CDX that was eventually released. It looks more or less the same on the surface, but they share very little underlying code.

Anyway, the real reason to burn this is not for the handful of sample codes it contains (though the unlimited time in Crazy Taxi one is pretty nice for when you just want to play around and explore), it's better use is as an import bootdisc. This PAR demo has much much better compatibility than the Utopia disc that so many people still insist on using and even better than the actual released Action Replay and Gameshark versions in fact, which is why it was eventually repackaged and sold as the DC Import Enabler with a simplified menu and no sample PAR codes. In fact, I have about about 30 PAL or Japanese imports and it boots every single one perfectly unlike the Utopia disc which caused problems with or simply didn't boot many of them, though some people have still reported problems with the PAR demo and some games.

...word is bondage...
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Will it boot the Japanese version of Sonic Adventure 2?
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

I don't know for sure since i only have the US version of Sonic Adventure 2. But isn't SA2 one of the games that will boot with Utopia but which has some kind of copy protection that kicks in even when you load a legit GD copy with Utopia? It doesn't let you play through one of the boss fights so the game essentially becomes a demo or something like that, right? If so, then I think it should work with this PAR demo. Rent-a-Hero no. 1 which I do have has a similar kind of copy protection, if you boot it with Utopia you can't walk up the stairs in your house, once again making the game unplayable past a certain point, but if you boot it with the PAR demo everything works fine and is fully playable. Seems like it'd be the same with SA2, but I can't say for sure.

By the way, don't you think this copy protection scheme was a pretty neat little trick on Sega's part (assuming it was intentional and not just like an accidental side effect), allowing pirate copies of the game to be played up to a point but not beyond so that people who pirate the game essentially only get a demo version. It's a hilarious shut down and also maybe a bit of advertising, too. It's too bad it couldn't have been implemented sooner and in more of their games and third party games and all that, it might have really stemmed the tide of piracy. Though, I suppose the pirates would have just found a way around it eventually.

...word is bondage...
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

They did. A few releases were made that wouldn't allow you to complete the game because of copy protection, Sonic Adventure 2 being one, but patches were released ssoon enough to fix these flaws.