++ Dreamcast Modding ++ LED FANS ++ HELP ++

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
+Atreyu+
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

++ Dreamcast Modding ++ LED FANS ++ HELP ++

Post by +Atreyu+ »

hi evryone :D :D :D , i am new to this forum, but i have had a dc for about 3years, i have just replaced the casing with a see through one and now the red power led lights up the whole console (so sweet, will have pictures soon), but whilest empying case (pcd+gdrom) i noticed a little 2 or 3cm fan, which is pretty perthetic in terms of performance, and i was wondering if there are any newer faster versions of these mini fans?? even one with a red led on it like pc case fans, which would strobe light out the side plus increase the cooling of the consol.

PS: i recomend you buy and replace the old grey casing of your dc, with and transparent one, as this halfs the weight !! now i can carry my dc to my mates house with out dying, thanx, plz post any mod cons and led fan links here, thankyou :wink:
Flawless Victory ...
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

To Hardware Modification + Repair you go :wink:
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Indeed it does, now anyway
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

First, I'd leave that dinky little fan in place. Most DCs have a sensor to tell how fast it's running and require it to be present.
There's nothing stopping you adding an additional fan to your DC. Practically any PC fan will work (as long as it fits) so if you find a PC LED fan that'll fit in the DC you could use it.
TheGreatCraig
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: ++ Dreamcast Modding ++ LED FANS ++ HELP ++

Post by TheGreatCraig »

+Atreyu+ wrote:PS: i recomend you buy and replace the old grey casing of your dc, with and transparent one, as this halfs the weight !! now i can carry my dc to my mates house with out dying, thanx, plz post any mod cons and led fan links here, thankyou :wink:
The DC is light as it is. It's about as heavy as an XBox controller. :lol:
"Die Turtles!!!!!!!!!"
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

hehe xbox hehe

actually, the heatpipe DCs feel almost 2x as heavy as the new types. as far as i know Atreyu, there is no pc fan as small as that. if anything, maybe you could put a 4cm or so pc fan into the back of the DC.

The Dream Lives On.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

I have a samll 4cm fan and heatsink and was hopeing to put it on the cpu but everything is so close and its cooled by a bit of aluminium. Who knows if i'm brave enough I could try to make a replacement copper one, =more heat dissapation hopefully :lol:
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

probably not...aluminium can get really good heat transfer, and this isnt normal, i believe it is either hollow or filled with another substance. in that case, if it is aluminum with a copper core it may be better than soild Aluminium
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
+Atreyu+
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by +Atreyu+ »

well, when i took it apart to change the casing, i dismantled the metal plates which snadwhich the mobo, and theres is absoultly no cooling !!!, just the cpu touching metal, which kinda worried me as i raely turn this of, as it powers my liquid neons,has any1 ever tested a cpu cooler? on mini-itx.com they basically took the dc parts out and put a pc in there with a fan so it would fit, but its very tight, have a look at my pictures, and leave your comments on my GB#, iwill eventually get rid of that 15"moniter and hook my pc+dc up to a plasma screen on the wall.
#
http://slipknot75.50megs.com/_desktop.htm

l8erz.
Flawless Victory ...
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

ummm, the cooling IS the giant metal plate.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

If I ever did a totally new case it would be first on the list!