DC on PS2 perhaps?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
artoflosing41
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DC on PS2 perhaps?

Post by artoflosing41 »

Noobie here! And I have been looking around here and let me get this straight, you can play Genesis games on DC and PS2? At least that is what I think this whole homebrewing stuff is about. Is a Saturn emulator for DC coming anytime soon? And I was wondering if it was possible to make an emulator for the PS2 that allows play of Dreamcast games on the PS2 because don't they have about the same graphics? (correct me if I'm wrong here cuz I may have no idea what I'm talking about)
Lord_Ball
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Re: DC on PS2 perhaps?

Post by Lord_Ball »

artoflosing41 wrote:Noobie here! And I have been looking around here and let me get this straight, you can play Genesis games on DC and PS2?
Yes, but homebrew is more than just emulation it also include homebrew apps and games.
artoflosing41 wrote:At least that is what I think this whole homebrewing stuff is about. Is a Saturn emulator for DC coming anytime soon?
nope and more than likely never will be.
artoflosing41 wrote: And I was wondering if it was possible to make an emulator for the PS2 that allows play of Dreamcast games on the PS2 because don't they have about the same graphics? (correct me if I'm wrong here cuz I may have no idea what I'm talking about)
I'll be nice.... the PS2 will never be able to emulate the DC.
artoflosing41
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by artoflosing41 »

ok, that about answers all my questions. So where do I get emulators for the Dreamcast and PS2 to play Genesis and SNES games on?
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Did you look at the front page?
Dreamcast forever!!!
artoflosing41
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by artoflosing41 »

Yes, but I'm an idiot and didn't know where to find them. I'll check again
artoflosing41
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by artoflosing41 »

ok, found em. But how about a GBA emulator or SEGA 32X emulator for DC or PS2? Any of those is the making?
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

artoflosing41 wrote:ok, found em. But how about a GBA emulator or SEGA 32X emulator for DC or PS2? Any of those is the making?
No, and probably never will be. Dreamcast isn't really powerful enough, and there isn't enough RAM to hold most GBA roms. This has been discussed many times, search the forums for a more detailed answer.
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

I don't know about emulators for PS2, but there aren't GBA nor 32X emulators for DC, and don't expect to see them, at least in the near future.
SoldierBlade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SoldierBlade »

Im not sure if its ok to say this here, but if you want GBA and 32x emus, check out the xbox scene. The problem is legality issues with just about everything homebrewed for xbox. Afaik, there has not yet been a independant dev kit made for the xbox, so they all pretty much illegaly use the official microsoft xdk. The good thing though is that most emus on the xbox are ports of their pc counterparts, and run great. Just keep in mind, 99% of that stuff aint legal. Geez...did i use the words xbox and illegal enough times?
Signatures are lame...
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Yeah you did. Xbox emulators run well and need little to no source changes. As the xbox has 700mhz plus cpu. There is no challenge coding emus for the xbox.

Plus who is going to host you site if you tryed to do it. Ive stayed away from the xbox scene. Even thou i could do a lot better in it then for the dreamcast.

Yeah most run perfect.
Dreamcast forever!!!
CyberMick
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by CyberMick »

Yeah like Ian has said from a programmers point of view its more fun and challenging to gets working on a DC then to just port from PC to X-Box which an X-Box to me is just a PC in a smaller box. :D
Regards.

CyberMick.
DC Cab
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DC Cab »

Also the nice thing about the Dreamcast, is that you don't need to install a mod chip for the emulators to work. I don't know of any other system that lets you do this.
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak »

DC Cab wrote:Also the nice thing about the Dreamcast, is that you don't need to install a mod chip for the emulators to work. I don't know of any other system that lets you do this.
That is one of the reasons the DC died: Ability to run backups in the DC with no modification.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

DC Cab wrote:Also the nice thing about the Dreamcast, is that you don't need to install a mod chip for the emulators to work. I don't know of any other system that lets you do this.
The Playstation, the PS2, the Xbox, the Saturn, the GBA, the Genesis, the SNES...
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

CyberMick wrote:Yeah like Ian has said from a programmers point of view its more fun and challenging to gets working on a DC then to just port from PC to xbox which an xbox to me is just a PC in a smaller box. :D
the major beef i have with the xbox is that it is not to much smaller of a box...
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

I think people dont understand why it failed. Did you know when they pulled the plug it was selling the best it ever did. And people were buying up to 4 games per Dreamcast. the 6 million plus that were sold proved in the short time it should of not been axed. Btw it still holds the recored for the most machines sold on debut.

It for about 6 months in to the game cub and xbox life had still sold more games per uint then both of those system. I doubt warez had a big effect liek thought. Sega wanted to move on from the hardware- side dreamcast saved them gave them the money they need to bring there shares up. Soon as it looked like a downtime thet cut it. Nothing more.

It still has the power to be there now. Not on specs but if programed for yes it could be battling it out with the ps2 very easly dreamcast has more texture memory for a start.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

as i am fond of pointing out, the only thing that died two years ago was the dreamcast hardware and the crappy US game side, the problem is that the general perception is that the whole scene is dead, so people dont bother.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

The dc in my mind could kick the ps2s ass. Another reason why dcemulation is so cool is it doesn't run on a big 733Mhz pc with windows 2000, usb controllers, and tv out. The dcemu scene is dead which is said(i used to visit the front page every day, now every 2 months), but there is some good homebrew being made. I'm dissapointed we never saw an online nester or even one with the dpad mapped to the analog stick, but its still a great emu.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I'm dissapointed we never saw an online nester
It might still happen. The NesterDC source code is still available. It's just that we didn't have decent support for networking under KOS until recently. We now have a working (but slow) TCP/IP stack, so we can communicate using the LAN adapter and BBA properly. We have a modem driver capable of dialling. All we need for the modem to be really usable is a little more work on the modem driver, and a PPP driver to get it to connect to the internet. After that, something interesting might start to happen. Then again, hardly anyone is working on emulators anymore, since we've more or less done everything possible, with just a few exceptions - some very, very old computers and consoles, the Genesis, and the SNES.
darkmaster
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by darkmaster »

for me dc kick ps2 ass and also xbox ass (graphic side) , the gamecube and dc has the best graphics