who thinks i should email sega for there server softwere

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.

do u think i should e-mail sega for there server softwere

yea
82%
no
18%
mybe
No votes

Total votes: 28
vashSG
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

who thinks i should email sega for there server softwere

Post by vashSG »

yea i guess i could send an e-mail to the guys there and ask them or it or for them to make it a public relese
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Who thinks Sega is either going to ignore you completly, or say no to your request? Me!

Sorry man, but its just not going to happen. Even if you had the software, you'd still need a way to change the IP that the game connects to, in the software. Have fun doing that. AFAIK, the IP is hardcoded into the game, meaning its not user configurable.
guitsaru
the guitar monkey
the guitar monkey

Post by guitsaru »

You can try if you want, but like xylene said your probably not gonna get an answer and it would be a lot of work.
nymus
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by nymus »

If you know what you're doing, I say GO FOR IT! ;) Keep the Dream alive !!!
behold the mind
inspired by Dreamcast
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

nymus wrote:If you know what you're doing, I say GO FOR IT! ;) Keep the Dream alive !!!
<rant>
Keep the dream alive.. I agree with that to a certain extent. Emailing Sega for their software when you know deep down inside, they probably won't even take you seriously, and even if they bother to respond to you, with a real message, no automated, 'thank you for your concern,' you aren't going to get anywhere. They are going to tell you that you can't change the IP in the game, becuase they don't really want you even messing with it. They don't want you hacking around with a game to change things in it, which would be needed to run some server, becuase the IP the game is programmed to connect with. I am all for keeping Dreamcast 'alive' as much as its possible, but personally, I feel things like this are quite foolish, becuase Sega doesn't care. They aren't making money on Dreamcast. If I was Sega, I sure as hell wouldn't care. Companies are there to make money. If they aren't making anything on it, I doubt they will care what we want. Thats not even really the point, though. My point is, Sega isn't going to take some kid seriously when he askes for their dedicated server software. </rant>
nymus
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by nymus »

any serious company will take a serious idea seriously.

Obviously if you go to sega like "yo dude, like I wanna steal you8're ip and like let people hack games and play online for free, gimme, gimme, gimme" they're not going to listen to you.

I KNOW that if someone went up to Sega with legitimate, serious plans to reestablish Dreamcast online gaming, even for a fee, they'd listen. They're releasing Puyo Puyo aren't they? That's because gamers in Japan have shown interest. They licensed Dreamcast to Pace when they were about to discontinue DC didn't they? Such a person would have to be willing to sign non-disclosure agreements, sure, but that's not something a reasonable person should consider difficult.

Sega wants Dreamcast to succeed. Sega cares. The only people who don't care are those who want to prevent/demean activities that could spark interest in Dreamcast.

Trust me, it doesn't matter that Dreamcast has been discontinued. If interest builds up, it won't be hard to restart manufacturing Dreamcast. Dreamcast was built with parts from companies that are STILL making them. (Hitachi, Yamaha, PowerVR). Sega aren't stupid. All they're waiting for is a small sign. If we gave it to them, we could see Dreamcast back on shelves in weeks!!

Dreamcast technology is still powerful today and could compete even with XBox 2 and PS3 or whatever other garbage comes along. Yes, I'm a DC fanboy, but yes, too, Dreamcast was not exploited and yes, again, Dreamcast's design is very relevant to and applicable to gaming now and in the future. XBox is the only system currently with online gaming that matches what Dreamcast offered. Gamecube has nuythin' PS2 is only just finding its lungs...

Dreamcast could enter the market like THAT with broadband online gaming ready to go, Virtua fighter 4, SegaGT online with vs XBox play, Outrun 2, tryptomite, all those new jap games...

Surely I'm not the only one who sees this...

Trust me, Xylene, Sega isn't blind. All they need is a sign. A small sign....
behold the mind
inspired by Dreamcast
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

I am sorry nymus, but I seriously think you are out of your mind.

Just becuase Sega is releasing a game in Japan, doesn't mean 'OMG SEGA WANTS TO PRODUCE DREAMCAST STUFF STILL OMG LETS ALL BEG FOR ONLINE PLAY!!'

I am sorry, man. Its just not going to happen.
nymus wrote:If we gave it to them, we could see Dreamcast back on shelves in weeks!!
Wow, man.. you're seriously off your rocker.

Anyway.. Just becuase this 'scene', well some of it, is dieing to get Dreamcast back online, or back into production, doesn't mean its going to happen. There just isn't interest in the USA, or UK, no matter what you say. Maybe Japan, but besides that, don't count on it. Just becuase the 'hardcore' gamer wants something, doesn't mean they'll get it. Most gamers want their Xbox, PS2, GameCube, ect.. and don't give a crap about Dreamcast anymore. I don't mean that in a rude way, but its the damn truth.
nymus wrote: Dreamcast could enter the market like THAT with broadband online gaming ready to go, Virtua fighter 4, SegaGT online with vs XBox play, Outrun 2, tryptomite, all those new jap games...
Again, not enough interest to do it. Just becuase half of the folks at DCemu want it, and a few other places, doesn't mean its going to happen.
nymus wrote:Sega wants Dreamcast to succeed. Sega cares.
I think you're stuck in 1999.
nymus wrote:Trust me, Xylene, Sega isn't blind. All they need is a sign. A small sign....
You need a sign too, and that sign is one big one saying you've completly lost it.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

BTW, in now way was that meant to be some huge flame, just trying to express my opinion on the subject, in a some what civilized manner.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

i could write an essay on the fact that nymus is totally wrong
But I couldnt be bothered, so did this instead.
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

I suppose it's never going to happen, but I think it would be great if sega would sell the software for a reasonable price. Everybody would be happy, we would play PSO again and sega could earn some cash.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

*APE agrees with xylene

Noone who has emailed SEGA has ever heard back from them, at least to my knowledge. Your better off learning how to code and reverse engineer the games to create a tunnel like software than asking for the server software. And even if you did get it, most of the games have the ips hardcoded, so you wouldn't be able to play them anyway.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
The OK Pope
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by The OK Pope »

I say go for it, there's nothing to lose.
aflyingcow
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by aflyingcow »

If sega rereleased the DC, but with a cheap price tag, im sure that would attract gamers.
vashSG
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by vashSG »

hmmmm.... ok i don't think sega would listen to just me i say we all take a stand and we all send them an email twice a week they would be shore to listen be cause we would be filling there email box so all they would have to read is our request and in each eamil we would submit an idear

also if sega really wanted to make some cash they would ship out some batches of broad band adapters

cause i know at least 50% of the usa owns a dc cause its the cheapes 128-bit system around and its cpu can take down a ps2's cpu so i say we all send at least 1 email and they will have to release something
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

vashSG wrote:hmmmm.... ok i don't think sega would listen to just me i say we all take a stand and we all send them an email twice a week they would be shore to listen be cause we would be filling there email box so all they would have to read is our request and in each eamil we would submit an idear
No, that will just have them ignore everyone completely, and probably add your email address to ignore.
vashSG wrote:cause i know at least 50% of the usa owns a dc cause its the cheapes 128-bit system around and its cpu can take down a ps2's cpu so i say we all send at least 1 email and they will have to release something
Over 50% of the United States popular never even owned a Dreamcast.
vashSG
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by vashSG »

hey half of the guys at this fourm want the dc bvack online but that same half doesn't think its going to happen

i say dc will go back online god damnit i love my dc i will do everything in my power to bring it back online

btw:anyone know exactly how xbox tunnel works i have a pretty good idear but i mybe wrong

brb gotta go get that sega email address
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Xbox tunnel works by 'emulating' a system link connection on games that have system link. No that will not work for Dreamcast.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Xbox tunnel works by 'emulating' a system link connection on games that have system link. No that will not work for Dreamcast.
vashSG
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by vashSG »

yea i figued that much out so hmmm

ahhh heh anyone got that email address on them
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

Xylene pretty much put the whole thing in a nutshell(glad you're back). It's not going to happen, so dont waste your breath. I'd add more, but I have to be at the courts in 5 minutes.