Way to get over depression?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Thomas
Thomas
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Way to get over depression?

Post by Thomas »

Well right now I'm, very depressed, and the main cause of the depression is a girl. A few weeks ago I told her how I felt about her, and she just said the generic how she likes being my friend and all. So normally I would get over her in a few days, but for some reason she was different and I couldnt stop thinking of her. So the other day she asks me if I still liked her, and I said yes, and she responded with I think I may like you too, but I'm not looking for a boyfriend or guy to get on now. So now after she said that, I just started to feel quite depressed. I havent been about to concentrate on anything, and I have lost interest in most things. I'm not sure what to do since I still like her and it won't go away despite my best efforts to avoid contact with her hoping to make it go away (though that's futile as I have a few classes were I sit with her). So now my question, what the hell should I do to get over being depressed over such a minor issue, and why the hell is this girl different why can't I just let go of something that will never be? Any advice is welcome, as long as it's good :).

I also forgot to mention, that there are a few other factors causing this depression like state, School, my parents, College Applications and such.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Re: Way to get over depression?

Post by Roofus »

Inu_Sess__ wrote:Well right now I'm, very depressed, and the main cause of the depression is a girl. A few weeks ago I told her how I felt about her, and she just said the generic how she likes being my friend and all. So normally I would get over her in a few days, but for some reason she was different and I couldnt stop thinking of her. So the other day she asks me if I still liked her, and I said yes, and she responded with I think I may like you too, but I'm not looking for a boyfriend or guy to get on now. So now after she said that, I just started to feel quite depressed. I havent been about to concentrate on anything, and I have lost interest in most things. I'm not sure what to do since I still like her and it won't go away despite my best efforts to avoid contact with her hoping to make it go away (though that's futile as I have a few classes were I sit with her). So now my question, what the hell should I do to get over being depressed over such a minor issue, and why the hell is this girl different why can't I just let go of something that will never be? Any advice is welcome, as long as it's good :).

I also forgot to mention, that there are a few other factors causing this depression like state, School, my parents, College Applications and such.
Heh. Thanks. You've filled me with confidence regarding the girl I've been stalking.

Anyway, to get over depression, your best bet is to just do something. Doesn't really matter what. Go for a walk, go out with friends. Working with your hands is a good one. As my mother says, "Depression hates light and movement."
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Roofus wrote:Heh. Thanks. You've filled me with confidence regarding the girl I've been stalking.
sorry Roofus.

And the thing is I have been doing stuff, I have been skateboarding again and doing other activites to take my mind off it but none have worked so far.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Inu_Sess__ wrote:Well right now I'm, very depressed, and the main cause of the depression is a girl. A few weeks ago I told her how I felt about her, and she just said the generic how she likes being my friend and all. So normally I would get over her in a few days, but for some reason she was different and I couldnt stop thinking of her. So the other day she asks me if I still liked her, and I said yes, and she responded with I think I may like you too, but I'm not looking for a boyfriend or guy to get on now. So now after she said that, I just started to feel quite depressed. I havent been about to concentrate on anything, and I have lost interest in most things. I'm not sure what to do since I still like her and it won't go away despite my best efforts to avoid contact with her hoping to make it go away (though that's futile as I have a few classes were I sit with her). So now my question, what the hell should I do to get over being depressed over such a minor issue, and why the hell is this girl different why can't I just let go of something that will never be? Any advice is welcome, as long as it's good :).
Get very drunk, it worked for me. Next step get used to it, it stops hurting then
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Taking your mind off things doesn't really work..

I've tried numerous things to get over a girl that used to ride my bus.. She was different, much like you say, and she went away to college.. I still don't know if she ever felt anything towards me, and I'm quite afraid to ever ask.

Depression is hard to cope with.. You have to take out the source.

I've tried writing, keeping myself occupied, alcohol (somewhat..), sitting in the dark trying to find out why im' depressed, and copious amounts of online gaming.

The only thing that's made me feel better is when I was able to gain self-confidence in some way.. I've just picked up little pieces of thought from people that painted me as a good person.

Just be 100% open about it. It takes balls to do, and is something I'm sure can help... If it can't then i've been running after a false idol of mutual truth for too long.
Narcissus
TAFKA Token99
TAFKA Token99

Post by Narcissus »

She know's how you feel. Now all you can do is give it time, and be prepared for whatever kind of decision she makes. Think of it this way, a girl that you know (and for whatever reason never looked at her as the type you'd like to get to know better) approaches you and tells you that she really likes you. You might do the same thing, give her the speech about how you just want to be her friend (never know what you might do when put on the spot). What would you want her to do now? Keep being your friend, and pretend like everythings cool? Get wierd about it, and not be able to even be around you anymore?

Your best bet is to just play it cool, hopefully she'll come around and see the light. But if not, you've been happy this far in life without her, and you'll make it the rest of the way without her too if need be.

I remember trippin on women in many occasions, and it's nothing but destructive behavior. It helps no one in the situation, especially you. I can say this now, because I've put myself in the situation so many times that I refuse to do it again, all you can do is live and learn. ;-)
The only limitations we have, are the ones we set for ourselves...
VB_User
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by VB_User »

man im in the same situation only the girl doesnt like me. My problem is im she considers me her bestfriend and nothing more. We basically are going out without the official commitment of it all cause we always are together and always do everything together. My advice would be just try to back off a bit and show intrest in someone else and she will probably realize what shes missing out on and come running to you. Give it a try
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Narcissus wrote:She know's how you feel. Now all you can do is give it time, and be prepared for whatever kind of decision she makes. Think of it this way, a girl that you know (and for whatever reason never looked at her as the type you'd like to get to know better) approaches you and tells you that she really likes you. You might do the same thing, give her the speech about how you just want to be her friend (never know what you might do when put on the spot). What would you want her to do now? Keep being your friend, and pretend like everythings cool? Get wierd about it, and not be able to even be around you anymore?

Your best bet is to just play it cool, hopefully she'll come around and see the light. But if not, you've been happy this far in life without her, and you'll make it the rest of the way without her too if need be.

I remember trippin on women in many occasions, and it's nothing but destructive behavior. It helps no one in the situation, especially you. I can say this now, because I've put myself in the situation so many times that I refuse to do it again, all you can do is live and learn. ;-)
thats pretty deep. I never really thought of it that way. Another thing thats kind of bothering me about this, is for some reason after I told her I felt really uncomfortable around her, I try to not make eye contact with her and I don't talk to her that much anymore offline. And it seems that she has just played it off like I never asked her, or that she never told me. So in that repect, I'm quite confused and thus causing me to think too much and thus causing depression. I guess all I can do it wait it out and she what happens like you said.
Narcissus
TAFKA Token99
TAFKA Token99

Post by Narcissus »

Inu_Sess__ wrote: thats pretty deep. I never really thought of it that way. Another thing thats kind of bothering me about this, is for some reason after I told her I felt really uncomfortable around her, I try to not make eye contact with her and I don't talk to her that much anymore offline. And it seems that she has just played it off like I never asked her, or that she never told me. So in that repect, I'm quite confused and thus causing me to think too much and thus causing depression. I guess all I can do it wait it out and she what happens like you said.
The thing that helps me the most...

A guy I work with, dated a girl when he was 19. They dated on and off for a few years, then each went their seperate ways. They both got married, and started lives with other people. Ten years later, they were both divorced and single again. Somehow met up with each other, started dating again and got married. They've been married for 15 years now, and are happier than they ever have been in their lives.

I guess I just feel that everything happens for a reason, and sometimes your best bet is to go with the flow and ride out the wave. Things have a way of working out one way or the other. The best thing to do is try to think rationally and realize that life is short, so you gotta make the best of it while you are here. Don't stress yourself out about things you have no control over...
The only limitations we have, are the ones we set for ourselves...
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

I agree with Narcissus 100%. He took the words out of my mouth.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. NEVER EVER get to the point where you are obsesed with a chick. Talk to her and ask her out on a date before you get to the point when you have a crush. If she says no before that, no big deal. I feel for ya man, but crap happens, you'll get over it. :|

Just got to go out and find another chick.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

i went through the same thing, i know its hard :cry:

one thing you could do is go after another girl. trust me, a fresh romance will help you forget the last one
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

If she's playing it off like nothing happened, you would be wise to do the same. Narcissus hit it on the head. If she was your friend before, she's your friend now, and if you try to avoid her, not only have you lost a friend, you've also shot down any chance of EVER getting with her. Some girls have a way of saying stuff, and then later down the road, they rethink things. She may have given you the "friends" speech, but that doesn't mean she can't change her mind. If you isolate her from you, she can't change her mind, because you haven't given her the chance.
Safety in Nimbus
Revenge Therapist
Revenge Therapist

Post by Safety in Nimbus »

Seconal and the Edward Scissorhands score will solve the spell of depression (-;
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

Down two Mickies 40s, and take a bong load of a 4 foot bong. Start playing some games with some friends and throw a little grill.
Safety in Nimbus
Revenge Therapist
Revenge Therapist

Post by Safety in Nimbus »

Hollywood Hasney wrote:
Tapew0rm wrote:Seconal and the Edward Scissorhands score will solve the spell of depression (-;
Or Reel Big Fish - Cheer Up!

:P
That album just makes me homicidal |= worst RBF record ever.
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

Last weekend i go to Las Vegas
(to the Comdex, but i expend all the time drinking and having fun)
but two weeks ago i was feeling like crap
(because i saw mi ex girlfriend of two years and a half whit another dude as a couple)
but thanxs to vegas i have a smile in my face again :D

so dude the answer is GO TO LAS VEGAS...............
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Alcohol
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

Well, if you can't find pleasure in other activities, this could be serious.

Sometimes, depression starts with anxiety or panic attacks.

Real depression feels more like anxiety, or the "jitters", than just "feeling down".

You'll get over her, trust me, but it's a long process...

Basically, she's the one with the problem, not you. Most women have serious self-esteem issues, so they really don't want intimacy, or being with a "nice guy", even if they claim so. What they really want is to be jerked around by a "macho man" asshole. It may not be pretty, but that's the truth.

That's why they use that "I love you as a friend" crap. They can't stand sincerity and intimacy.

Avoiding contact goes a long way in dealing with these situations. There's nothing wrong with it. If a dog in your neighborhood attacks you each time you walk by its home, would you keep doing it? If you allow her to emotionally abuse you, she'll just keep doing it, because she will get satisfaction out of it, despite her denying it. Basically, she'll boost her self-esteem at your expense. Not fair, in my opinion.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

When I am depressed I buy a big new yorker from pizzahut a case of natural light beer (yeah I know its crappy but 12 cans for 2.96) and I eat pizza and get drunk. it doesnt really help but you get wasted and you pass out so you have less time to be depressed
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Real depression is a problem i have it big time too the point of wanting to harm my self but you learn to live with it. Im also happy some times . I also get depressed that im depressed when i have a great wife and not a bad life now.

Women are hard to get over. Start coding thats what i did lol Its for the mentaly insane give it a try.

Best thing to do have a retro gaming night or Have sex with some gurl thats easy that will fix you up for a few hours.

Really best thing to do is rebound on some chick.
Dreamcast forever!!!