128k-spectrum emulator Improved

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

128k-spectrum emulator Improved

Post by Ian Micheal »

It was requested to have a 128k spectrum emulator, So I looked at mess which ICE88 Ported and i used parts of the new mess077s pc version. And built this for you its only a test version so please report what games that do work, in this thread. So i can try to fix this driver . As i can see its due to timing problems and, I think i might of fixed a few games now. You must have a keyboard but it does support the dc controller if you press scroll lock. "Robocop" works really well and so does "towdie" both are 128k games. Speed i really dont know ive never owned a spectrum its fully playable and the music seems fast. it is using pvrdma mode so the copyright screens will be messed just press left and right untill the game loads Note this is before a game loads. Ingame is fine and has nothing to do with the emulation of the games they look really nice. Make sure to read the instructions file. Ive made a small change to the sound driver it seems to sound really good. Try Rengade2 to hear really good sound its set at 44050kh sound. Robocop1 is the best for sound. Also after playing some games some times the sound driver does not free the sound of a past game dirtying it so if you want reboot and try that game first.Of course this will play 48k games but the sound on them is not as good as the 128k games. There was a 100 game pack put out by wraggster that can be used with this. Ive updated it if you have tested it redownload it as ive spent a few hours optimzing parts of the pc side of the mess source. Sound now is a lot better. Buffering is much nicer less static if any now. Speed is up 3 fps.

Importain for fullscreen just use display mode 2

But there are easyer to use emulators for that even thou this is easy to use now

Request was here http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=41747

http://imrtechnology.ngemu.com/ emulator can be found here.

As allways to get back to the main menu after loading a game hold (start)&(A) on the dreamcast controller.

From the readme file
-=[INFO]=-
This is a test version. So it is "not-finshed" . It supports 128k spectrum games, And loads, SNA/Z80 images only from the GUI menu. You must have, a keyboard to use this, As this starts in full Keyboard emulation-mode,Pressing "SCROLL LOCK" on your dreamcast-keyboard lets you use the Dc controller. But keys must be remapped , Some games support this built in which helps. Not all 128k games work there are timing problems i think i might be able to improve this past the mess driver. PVRDMA is used to boost speed but this may break some games. So turn it off if you like Via the menu.Remember this is not 100% stable.If a game does not work reboot and try it first.

1ST_READ.BIN is scrambled

-=[How to load games]=-
This is easy When it first boots use the Dreamcast (d-pad) to select (CD)
Press (B) Now you have a list of what's on the CD, Place your Spectrum 128k GAMES in a directory, So 128k directory If you want name it any thing highlight the 128k Directory Press (b). Now select a game in that directory Press (start) to start the game. When you see the Copyright screen just press (left & right) 3 times the txt will be messed up due to me using pvrdma video mode. Turn it off for that to be fixed.

-=[Directory structure]=-

Should look like this

1ST_READ.BIN
IP.BIN ( get an IP BIN from NESTERDC the best emulator for nes)
/bios ive included that file as i was told it was freeware.

-=[ Games ive tested that work ]=-
towdie 128k This must be loaded first or it does not work some times
reaper 128k fine works the same as on my pc emulator speed wize
RENGADE2 128k fine
ROBOCOP1 128k fine
ROBOCOP2 128k fine
ROBZONE 128k fine

Please test only SNA images you have made from fully loaded tap files. for example you can use the windows "spectaculator" emulator to load .tap files then dump them as SNA.
Report what games work or crash it. Looking at the source i think, I can improve this emulation of the Mess driver.

-=[ Fellow DC dev people that help me out]=-
Greets hiya to ICE88 with out him none of this could be done. Thanks Man!. Also G'day Black aura .

All Credit to the people that created mess and ported it so i could compile builds for the public.

Reaper_angel@hotmail.com drop me a line .

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Thanks ("no one can survive in a vacuum NOt EVEN ME")
===================================

* SDL by Sam Latinga and the SDL opensource team.
* Black aura ' kos raw image loading routine
* Warmtoe ' maim source and support
* Blue crab ' SDL help and support
* Bero ' Porter of SDL to dreamcast
* Dan potter ' kos free tools an /os for dreamcast
===================================

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
http://www.imrtech.mirrorz.com/ main site and can be translated use the translater tool
on the menu. also were all downloads are note refresh a lot due to updating

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Dreamcast forever!!!
CyberMick
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by CyberMick »

Thanx Ian Micheal for your work on making an ZX 128K emu i cant wait to test it out i would love to play my speccy games on the DC.

You are a God in my eyes. :)

Thanx
Regards.

CyberMick.
ElPed2000
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ElPed2000 »

In my eyes he's a code ripping whore, but no one asked me... right?
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Elped2000 Really theres nothing wrong with being a code ripping whore I dont see your point or who asked you. But Thanks for your remarkes they made me want to improve more stuff!. Hmm what next. All people get proper credit and greets int he readme. I improve stuff i compile stuff whats it matter people enjoy it. Thats what its all about. I would were that as a badge code ripping whore. LOL

CyberMick wrote:Thanx Ian Micheal for your work on making an ZX 128K emu i cant wait to test it out i would love to play my speccy games on the DC.

You are a God in my eyes. :)

Thanx
my wife did the GUI. I improved the speed and sound of this driver and fixed a few timinig issues. Glad you like it you will need a keyboard. But i really glad you like it

I do programing only to see people enjoy the dreamcast again.
Dreamcast forever!!!
CyberMick
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by CyberMick »

Yeah i appreciate your tweaking of the mess compile ive played the other emu's that reaper released for the DC and they work well thank you for time in using the latest mess code to make this port.

I have a DC Keyboard so im in luck Yipee! :)
ElPed2000 wrote:In my eyes he's a code ripping whore, but no one asked me... right?
Thats not very nice Ian has only been trying to fulfill us 'old gits' requests in bringing back our childhood and providing us with a Speccy emu. He never claimed to have writen mess just tweaked and made some changes to get this emu working.
Regards.

CyberMick.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Yup was a request made. I filled it. I spent about 24 hours testing and optimzing it so to try avoid cache misses. Thats what you have to do. Many sold dreamcast games were programed in c people just assume they were asm. If we optimize and write the code with the cache and FPU in mind we can get better speed. I know the mame source ive been working with it 2 years. I know how to get the best speed out of it.

Enjoy complain what ever just enjoy the dreamcast and memorys of the past days. I really do miss my c64 days. When some one talked about the spectrum like i do the c64 . I had to help them.
Dreamcast forever!!!
CyberMick
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by CyberMick »

Out of interest Ian what iyo is the best c64 emu on the DC? I would love to play some c64 games on my DC also is there an emu that has full sound/speed?

Thanx in advance.
Regards.

CyberMick.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Yeah Dreamfrodo port of frodo pc is very good speed and saving and even save states. Speed is very good .

http://frodo.boob.co.uk/ you can find it there.

there some problems with it but its pretty classy port. The other port has no sound so i would not bother with it. Sound is the most importain thing on the c64 .

Im doing the same ive got a c64 and spectrum disk and nes disk and tis dam fun living in the 80's again
Dreamcast forever!!!
Spector
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Spector »

Living in the 80's? I've been doing that since I discovered my first retrogaming site 3 years ago! :mrgreen:
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

Nice port, its good to see some movement in the Dreamcast emulation scene, hows about using the mess code for some of the unemulated systems :)
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

YO Wraggster. Glad you like it . Yeah what do you think would be best next im open to requests this one was after all. Thanks for all the rom packs you uploaded . I find it use-full for testing .
Dreamcast forever!!!
CyberMick
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by CyberMick »

Ian Micheal wrote:Yeah Dreamfrodo port of frodo pc is very good speed and saving and even save states. Speed is very good .

http://frodo.boob.co.uk/ you can find it there.

there some problems with it but its pretty classy port. The other port has no sound so i would not bother with it. Sound is the most importain thing on the c64 .

Im doing the same ive got a c64 and spectrum disk and nes disk and tis dam fun living in the 80's again
Thanks Ian, link much appreciated. :)
Regards.

CyberMick.