Is there anything you DIDN'T like about the DC?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is there anything you DIDN'T like about the DC?

Post by Lunchbox »

personally, i didn't like the way the cord came out of the bottom of the controllers, man that was annoying. another thing would be how loud the DC was when reading a disc. compared to my xbox, the dc sounds like a power tool or somethin :lol:
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak »

Compared to my GC, the DC sounds like a chainsaw...

The Only thing i didn't like is how PSO loaded. That thing damaged DCs, and also damages the GCs and XBoxs...

The cord is one thing. Everything else is fine.
nymus
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by nymus »

I love the way the cord comes out of the bottom. It's cool :8: although it can annoy sometimes.

I LOVE the way the disc makes access sounds. It sounds like revving... VROOOOOOMMM!!!!! SCREEECH!! :D

I hate the Playstationesque button layout and the looseness of the joystick, but it's not that big a deal unless you're trying to combine y+a or x+b in VF3: TB/Soul Calibur :evil:
behold the mind
inspired by Dreamcast
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

nymus wrote:I love the way the cord comes out of the bottom. It's cool :8: although it can annoy sometimes.
yep. i usually don't have a problem with it, but its a pain when i want to lean back in my chair and rest the controller on my stomach, cuz then the cord sticks out towards me then bends back under the controller, and i'm afraid that it'll split one day!
DeGamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer »

I hated that the standard controller has 2 buttons less than the Saturn controller. The DC does have "C" and "Z" buttons but the standard pad does not.

That's about it.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I didn't like the fact that it died. :P

But seriously...

The controller sucked, IMO. Anytime the controller is as big as the console itself, it's usually a bad sign. It was just hard to handle. Plus the trigger buttons really wore on the muscles in your fingers, especially in racing games.

The cord sticking out the bottom didn't bother me at all. I actually kinda prefered it. Besides, there was a notch at the top that you could shove the cord in if it bothered you too bad.
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

the controller is square. really uncomfortable. and the d-pad is really loose. the cord bothers me too. not to mention the VMU beep when you power on.
DC FoReVeR.!!!
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

I liked the trigger buttons cause you could kinda change the speed you were going in a racing game like with a pedal...At the time I thought that kicked ass.

Also the anolouge stick if you had sweaty thumbs would kinda be hard to use, but that proly cause I couldn't reach it that well :lol:
I have nothing against the console itself just the controller :lol:
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

I think the Dreamcast controller is better than any other controller I've used so far.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

My number 1 complaint is that the damn VMUs are too small. Come on, 128k (100k useable)? That's bullshit and clearly an attempt on Sega's part to make extra money by selling multiple VMUs to every DC owner. And it wouldn't be so bad if it were at least *POSSIBLE* to have larger memory cards, so that the 4x cards wouldn't have needed multiple pages.

And yeah, the controller is my second complaint. I've finally gotten used to it now, but it was hell at first. Mainly it's the way the handle parts sort of angle inwards so your wrists have to be at a funky angle and you have to use the tips of your fingers for the triggers (which can get hella painful, for instance in Crazy Taxi). I've gotten past that by having a very loose grip on the controller, almost not holding it in fact and instead sort of resting it on my stomach as I sit back, but as Lunchbox said, this reveals the problem of having the cord coming out of the bottom (for no reason whatsoever, I might add) and I have indead split the outer sheath of the cable right where they come out of the controller on two of my controllers by holding them the way I do.

I really wish Sega had just used the Saturn NiGHTS controller for the Dreamcast without changing the design, since it's one of the best controlers ever. That's clearly what they used as the model for the DC controller, but *EVERY SINGLE* change they made aside from the VMU ports was negative. NiGHTS pad with two VMU ports would be so great.

...word is bondage...
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

My biggest complaint with the hardware itself is the digital control pad. I thought it was too hard and not very ergonomic. My thumb would get all blistered playing SF 3: 3rd Strike and Capcom vs. SNK much sooner than when I would play VF2 or SF @ 2 on my Saturn (which I believe was the best regular pad for fighters. . . I just could never get into using the playstation controller for 2d fighters).

My other complaint, that probably couldn't be helped by Sega, is the lack of fps on the system. Considering its Windows CE background, there was such a lack of desirable pc ports for the system; and of the one's that came out, several were lacking (no online for Rainbow Six is rediculous).

The cord was nice and long; and althought a bit loud, my system keeps on ticking without a hitch. The only other thing that I would have wanted from the system was more games. Thank goodness for the coders that have done emulation and porting for the system.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

Sweater Fish wrote:And yeah, the controller is my second complaint. I've finally gotten used to it now, but it was hell at first. Mainly it's the way the handle parts sort of angle inwards so your wrists have to be at a funky angle and you have to use the tips of your fingers for the triggers (which can get hella painful, for instance in Crazy Taxi).
I've never had that problem, I can reach the triggers just fine.
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

The control pad is a piece of crap. I don't know how could it be designed so badly, considering the rest of the console is superb. Analog pad is too bad compared to for example DualShok pad ones, 7 buttons are few for some games, and the worst thing for me is the digital control pad. It's a PITA to play my favorite games with it (GGX, KOF series, Capcom vs SNK 2, Ikaruga...).

And the other thing I don't like is about the VM. They were too expensive for a 128K memory card. 1MB would be good, but it's ridiculous to make a "mini console" whose main function is to store savegames with only 128K.

All the rest is great! Little unit with a cool design, integrated modem and 4 gamepad ports. I don't mind the sound of the GD unit at all.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

doragasu wrote:Analog pad is too bad compared to for example DualShok pad ones
I don't like the DualShock analog sticks at all. The sticks are too far away from the edge of the controller, which makes them difficult to reach and uncomfortable to use.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I love the Dreamcast controller more than any other, but my biggest criticism is it's lack of buttons. It did mean that you had a smoother, less clutter controller, but playing Soldier of Fortune required you to enter button combinations like those used in Street Fighter in order for you to throw a grenade or use your scope :|.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Lord_Ball
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Lord_Ball »

Two more buttons would have been nice (as long as they weren't added as triggers, I hate controllers with multiple triggers/finger), but I like the controller overall, haven't had a single problem with any official controllers. The battery life of the VMU could've been much better (to avoid that infernal BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!), and a longer domestic commercial life, but I can still get all that importy goodness so it's OK.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

I liked the button configuration for Soldier of Fortune. I thought it was easier to get used to than Kiss Psycho Circus; but with time, both became a piece of cake. I picked up PSO episode I&II for GC. I haven't hooked up my GC as of yet, but I am dreading having to use a different controller. PSO plus the DC controller was awesome. O well. However, my character is at level 95 on PSO ver.1, so I can take it to 200 before I move on to the GC to start playing with Episode II.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Bad loading sounds.
Dpad on the controler was not made as well as it could be.
VMU, NOT ENOUGH SPACE.

Probably one of the best consoles ever made.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

The VMUs needed a better power solution.

Rand.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Rand Linden wrote:The VMUs needed a better power solution.

Rand.
Good one. Especially considering two AAs power them for like 300 years.

My biggest complaint is that mine broke when it got a mild bump in a car accident. :evil:

I'm gonna have to replace it one of these days. I own over 50 DC games, after all.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.