XBox owners: THIS is what you bragged about!??!?!?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
WhtCastle
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

XBox owners: THIS is what you bragged about!??!?!?

Post by WhtCastle »

So I just finished playing Halo, and I need to know why all the XBox owners feel it's the greatest game ever, and why it was so special they had it first. I was EXTREMELY dissappointed with it. Felt like a re-hashed Half-Life. Boring story, bland level design (not to mention they all look the same,) there's a total of what, 6 enemies? It did a good job with the vehichles though, I will give it that. What made Halo so great though? (Aside from multiplayer.)
Last edited by WhtCastle on Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/WhtCastle
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Re: XBox owners: THIS is what you bragged about!??!?!?

Post by melancholy »

WhtCastle wrote:What made Halo so great though? (Aside form multiplayer.)
I believe no one will be able to answer that question. You just eliminated the best answer.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Did you play it on legendary?
WhtCastle
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by WhtCastle »

melancholy wrote:
I believe no one will be able to answer that question. You just eliminated the best answer.
So everyone else agrees it's a crappy FPS? (At least single player. I can't comment on multi cause I haven't played a large amount of it on multi.)

EvilN wrote:Did you play it on legendary?
Would that make it actually have a hint of a challenge to it? And I'm not up to playing it again. Also, nice quote. (Signature.)
/WhtCastle
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

I don't think the single player is crappy..its just not as good as Half-Life, which was amazing. I'd say it's single player game is average, while its multiplayer can be very fun if you system-link. The main advantage of the multiplayer was the big open levels with vehicles. No other games really offered that before (well I guess BF1942 does now, but thats still not on a console..).
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Would that make it actually have a hint of a challenge to it? And I'm not up to playing it again. Also, nice quote. (Signature
Its supposed to have an enemy every inch of screen.or something like that.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I played it about 20 minutes once and it seemed fun.

If you want to play a fun single player FPS game get Unreal. The graphics was amazing, even by todays standards. Also the levels are laid out really well, very detailed and in some cases very large. You can get Unreal Gold for about nothing now (proably a $10 game).
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
WhtCastle
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by WhtCastle »

Veggita2099 wrote:I played it about 20 minutes once and it seemed fun.

If you want to play a fun single player FPS game get Unreal. The graphics was amazing, even by todays standards. Also the levels are laid out really well, very detailed and in some cases very large. You can get Unreal Gold for about nothing now (proably a $10 game).
Unreal started to lose the fun/wow factor about 3/4 of the way through. The story came to a crawl, nothing new was being introduced. Quite a lengthy (and good) FPS though.
/WhtCastle
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

WhtCastle wrote:So I just finished playing Halo, and I need to know why all the XBox owners feel it's the greatest game ever, and why it was so special they had it first. I was EXTREMELY dissappointed with it. Felt like a re-hashed Half-Life. Boring story, bland level design (not to mention they all look the same,) there's a total of what, 6 enemies? It did a good job with the vehichles though, I will give it that. What made Halo so great though? (Aside from multiplayer.)
Welcome to the small club of people deeply unimpressed with Halo :|
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Dr Wily wrote:
WhtCastle wrote:So I just finished playing Halo, and I need to know why all the XBox owners feel it's the greatest game ever, and why it was so special they had it first. I was EXTREMELY dissappointed with it. Felt like a re-hashed Half-Life. Boring story, bland level design (not to mention they all look the same,) there's a total of what, 6 enemies? It did a good job with the vehichles though, I will give it that. What made Halo so great though? (Aside from multiplayer.)
My club is smaller, its "The Club For Gamers Who Have Never Played Halo"
Dr. Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I'm not really into FPS games but I liked Halo a lot in single player & loved multiplayer. I also like Mario Sunshine, Zelda: Wind Waker & the GTA series, so I guess everybody has a reason to hate my taste in games. :P
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

scykon wrote:
Dr Wily wrote:
My club is smaller, its "The Club For Gamers Who Have Never Played Halo"
heh im in that club too :D

i haven't picked up halo for xbox yet, still too pricey, especially since Timesplitters 2 is still keeping me entertained. despite what whtcastle says, i'll still get it eventually. the general consensus among the gaming community says its a great game, and i'm inclined to believe them.
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

What made Halo so great though? (Aside from multiplayer.)
Put it on legendary, and play the single player game in co op mode, then you will see :D , its played out just like a great sci fi movie imo,
********SPOILER*******************************************************************
at the end when me and my GF made it to the ship within 4 secs before the whole place blow.. WOW.

And its multi player is great too, when you have around 4 or more xbox's linked up together then you will see why the big levels are so good :D . But then you may not, but thats cos everyone has the own taste in games anyway, what one person likes another may not, its like the way a few people doesn't like Half Life, But the is a lot more people that does like it, but thats just thier Taste in games, its doesn't mean that all the rest of the people that own it is right, its just that they had a lot of fun with half life, its the same with any game, the will always be people that doesn't like a game, even if that game is classed as one of the best games ever. but i loved both multi player and single player on halo, and imo its the 2nd best console FPS ever.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

WhtCastle wrote:
melancholy wrote:
So everyone else agrees it's a crappy FPS? (At least single player. I can't comment on multi cause I haven't played a large amount of it on multi.)
It's craptacular in multi-player as well. Get Timesplitters 2 instead. Or Unreal Championship. Or Serious Sam.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Eh...I wasn't impressed by Halo when it first came out, and it still isn't on my list of favorite FPS. I never finished it. I got bored of it about half way through. There are much better games on Xbox IMO.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

o.o I've bought two copies of the game I love it that much.. and I'll prolly buy a third. The game is great and I could play through it over and over and still love it :D
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I thought the singleplayer was good, it was just too long. They obviously didn't have the time or money or something to really stretch the playtime, so they made you run back and forth in the same area a ton of times. Got boring.

The multiplayer is also fun, but the run speeds are too slow IMO.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

You don't like it because you played the PC version. I don't even like it on PC. Aiming is a lot harder and, well, the Xbox controller is much better for this game than a kb and mouse. No matter how much you like kb and mouse, it sucks on Halo compared to the Xbox version. Plus, it came out in 2001, it's 2003 and it's still a good game. I'm not sure if this happens to anyone else, but in multiplay, when someone shoots you from behind, it's almost impossible to turn around, find the guy shooting you, then survive long enough to kill him. On Xbox, turning around is faster and there's a better chance killing the guy shooting you. Also, there's no vibration on the game on PC. It feels real bare-bones without it.
You don't work, you don't eat.
You don't grind, you shine.
-Mike Jones

281-330-8004, when someone picks up, ask for Mike Jones!

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

So, now a question bears asking: Should I buy Halo?

I know that it's indeed an overrated game. I have dabbled in it, and what I did play was fun.

But... I'm not really crazy about FPSs. I hated Timesplitters 2, for instance. Environments were bland and a bit cheesy. Plus, I felt like I was rolling around in a wheelchair instead of walking... :D

Still, a lot of people like Halo, so it can't be all that bad.

I have no problem with exploration, and huge levels. Actually, that's what I like in a game.

So, should I get it?
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
WhtCastle
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by WhtCastle »

TreyDay wrote:
You don't like it because you played the PC version. I don't even like it on PC. Aiming is a lot harder and, well, the Xbox controller is much better for this game than a kb and mouse. No matter how much you like kb and mouse, it sucks on Halo compared to the Xbox version. Plus, it came out in 2001, it's 2003 and it's still a good game. I'm not sure if this happens to anyone else, but in multiplay, when someone shoots you from behind, it's almost impossible to turn around, find the guy shooting you, then survive long enough to kill him. On Xbox, turning around is faster and there's a better chance killing the guy shooting you. Also, there's no vibration on the game on PC. It feels real bare-bones without it.
I HAVE played it on XBox as well, just not to the extent of on PC. The whole time I kept saying "Why isn't there a damn keyboard and mouse?!?!"

*edit* As for the vibration aspect, I don't really recall it on the XBox controller, so it must not have had that big of an impact on me.

Now it isn't like I am saying this was the worst game ever, I just don't think it is anything special by any means, which is why I made the thread.

So after I finish Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield (assuming I can ever beat the @#$@#^ bank level) does anyone have a suggestion for my next FPS to give a shot? I am thinking I want to give Diakatana a try. heh heh. (And I'm being serious with that.)
/WhtCastle