Obsolete Video Games Now Legal to Own

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
zerolives
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Obsolete Video Games Now Legal to Own

Post by zerolives »

http://www.gamepro.com/gamepro/domestic ... 1559.shtml
News by: Aki Sugawara
31-OCT-03
The Library of Congress has recently granted copyright exemptions in the Digital Millenium Act to obsolete games. The exemption applies to games that require the original hardware as a condition of access, and if the game is ?no longer manufactured or reasonably available in the commercial marketplace.? This means that old, unsupported PC, console and arcade games will now be legal to own (so your illegal copy of Mame roms are now legit). The only muddy side is if publishers consider their old games to be ?reasonably available? and plan to release classic games as bundles or bonuses, then the copyright protection still stands.

The Digital Millenium Copyright Act, or DMCA was passed on October 12, 1998 to address piracy and copyright concerns specifically pertaining to software and the internet properties. Some of the notable provisions included the outlawed circumvention of anti-piracy laws and distrubition or sale of code-cracking devices. Brewster Kahle from the non-profit company Internet Archive petitioned the US Copyright office, and to the delightful surprise of many, the petition was approved.

While game companies will undoubtedly cling on to as many of the old games as they can, many of the older unsupported titles are now free game. Those who have been downloading such games can now keep them in their hard drives with a clear conscience.
you suck at the internet.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Im not convinced, Ninty won't let anyone take Mario Roms :|
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

mattthemodder wrote:Im not convinced, Ninty won't let anyone take Mario Roms :|
Possibly because claiming there is nowhere selling hardware that plays Super Mario Bros or game cartridges of it could be dismissed by a lawyer with a GBA?
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=40810

Anyway, the only thing it means is that you're allowed to circumvent copy protections in games for obsolete systems. It does not mean that you can freely copy those games.
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

The article is completely inaccurate and I hope Gamepro gets sued for it. The DMCA is about making circumvention illegal. Exemptions allow you to circumvent encryption to make use of owned products, it is not an exemption to the copyright act.

For example, there is passage about Ebooks similar to the one about obsolete games. What that part means is that circumventing protection to make use of the text-to-speech capabilities is allowed. It does not mean any ebooks that are only sold encrypted can be stolen, only that ones you already own can be decrypted.

Long live accurate reporting.
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest... Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly...stupid.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

mattthemodder wrote:Im not convinced, Ninty won't let anyone take Mario Roms :|
name me some mario games taht are not on a modern system?

Mario 1 can be bought at any wal-mart for GB color
Mario 2 GBA
Mario 3 GBA
Yoshi's Island GBA
Mario World GBA
jtaylor
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by jtaylor »

Nintendo has made thier views of emulation clear. Last time I was on thier website, there was a whole page explaining thier official policy. I seem to remember them using the words "illegal" and "pirate" in that statement. Maybe companies will declare some games free, and rom images of them will be ok.

Nintendo is a little behind because NES and SNES roms are all over the place, or so I heard once somewhere that I can't remember.
<~~~FEAR THE SKELLY~~~>
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

To be fair, the Mario games on GBA don't use the ROMs - they're remakes. Does the same copyright apply to it? I doubt it, since that would mean that Super Mario Bros DX would become open domain in 55ish years instead of 70, which doesn't seem right.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

Those who have been downloading such games can now keep them in their hard drives with a clear conscience.

Maybe it's just me, but I always had a clear conscience about it. :wink:
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Lartrak wrote:To be fair, the Mario games on GBA don't use the ROMs - they're remakes. Does the same copyright apply to it?
Actually yes it does. Since in the very least it is a derivative work. And if you look at the copyright notice it'll say "Copyright 19xx,20yy".
No signature.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

toastman wrote:
Lartrak wrote:To be fair, the Mario games on GBA don't use the ROMs - they're remakes. Does the same copyright apply to it?
Actually yes it does. Since in the very least it is a derivative work. And if you look at the copyright notice it'll say "Copyright 19xx,20yy".
Well, yeah. But that's not really relevant to this discussion. You can't plug a NES cart into a GBA, that's the only thing that matters. NES hardware is no longer manufactured, so the DMCA does not apply to NES games (but ofcourse copyright still does). In short, this means that you can dump and crack your NES games for any 'fair use', like playing them on emulators.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

jtaylor wrote:Nintendo has made thier views of emulation clear. Last time I was on thier website, there was a whole page explaining thier official policy. I seem to remember them using the words "illegal" and "pirate" in that statement.
There's a section on their website on this issue: http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp.
Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.
EDIT: It seems that downloading a ROM file makes that ROM file an infringing copy, which can never be turned into a legal copy, even if you own the original game. So you'd have to dump the ROM file yourself for it to be a legal copy.
Are Game Copying Devices Illegal?

Yes. Game copiers enable users to illegally copy video game software onto floppy disks, writeable compact disks or the hard drive of a personal computer. They enable the user to make, play and distribute illegal copies of video game software which violates Nintendo's copyrights and trademarks. These devices also allow for the uploading and downloading of ROMs to and from the Internet. Based upon the functions of these devices, they are illegal.
This is obviously wrong. The DMCA might have been used to back up their point, but that no longer applies to obsolete systems.
Last edited by Phantom on Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

there is loads of confusion about this in the Uk too.
ELSPA (the people who look after gaming in the UK) stated on their website that backups were illegal. but then some university student tried to get them fined by Trading Standards (the people who make sure organisations dont tell lies and stuff) because it turns out you can have a backup, if it is needed.
So now ELSPA say it is still illegal because today you dont need backups due to better media and the law is quite old, but then other people say that it isnt ELSPA's decision to make on whether a game needs to be backed up, its down to the individual user, so it is legal. :?:
And the argument just goes back and forth forever.

I personally blame the government.
Vague things like "fair use" and "if needed" should not be included in laws. it just causes massive grey areas of confusion.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

Wasgo wrote:The article is completely inaccurate and I hope Gamepro gets sued for it.
sued for what ? :roll:

anyways,

http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6078006.html
"You can't distribute it today any more than you could yesterday," said one industry veteran who studied the ruling. "Basically, the only people this really effects are emulator authors; they're free to hack obsolete systems as much as they want without fear of being DMCA'ed."
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Is the title to this topic going... odd for anyone else? :?
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

scykon wrote:Vague things like "fair use" and "if needed" should not be included in laws. it just causes massive grey areas of confusion.
I don't see any possibility to exactly define 'fair use' of copyrighted material. You'd have to look at that from case to case, which is basically what the law says. So I don't really see a problem there. If Nintendo feels that playing roms of games you legally own is illegal, then they can try to get a court ruling on this matter. But I very much doubt that they'd do this, because they would have no chance of winning.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

Dr Wily wrote:Is the title to this topic going... odd for anyone else? :?
like under a different name ?
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

pavelbure wrote:
Dr Wily wrote:Is the title to this topic going... odd for anyone else? :?
like under a different name ?
I find the title amusing: "Obsolete Video Games Now Legal to Own", but I'm not sure if that's what he's referring to. :)
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

It had just... disapeared before I posted. Just the 'new posts' icon, and no title, but the topic remained while replying, and reappeared after I posted.

:?

Just another forum oddity I guess...
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

It had just... disapeared before I posted. Just the 'new posts' icon, and no title, but the topic remained while replying, and reappeared after I posted.

Just another forum oddity I guess...
Yes the same thing happened to me.