Napster 2.0 Mini-Review

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
spaghetti
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Napster 2.0 Mini-Review

Post by spaghetti »

My mini-review:

It rocks.

It's a stand-alone client and it weighs in at about 10-14 MB RAM when it's being used. It has a speedy web install, and it's fairly clean and usable. It isn't very frilly though, and lacks simple things like shuffle and repeat functions in the playlists. The documentation hints at a WMP9/XP integrated client but I don't know what the deal on that is.

Every song is 99? and every album is $10. They are encoded in 128 Kb/s WMA, and they download lickety-split. No delays or anything. The purchase process is quick. The licensing works like this: you can have the song "live" on three computers concurrently, and you can burn it as many times as you want. You can't burn the identical playlists a lot, but if you mix the tracks into new playlists you can burn as often as you like! It even makes CD labels... The killer feature: you can move files from computer to computer and redownload licenses and songs you already bought. That means my music will always be mine and I can get it from anywhere and use it just about any way I want, but I just can't play it on more than three devices at the same time. There is also a streaming sample for every song. If you pay $10 a month you get unlimited downloads!

It has a lot of nice community features like the ability to share playlists and see what other people are listening to. All songs and albums are organized nicely, and the music library is HUGE. I found lots of little-known songs really quickly! It has a cool magazine thing and integrated burning. It really follows the Napster spirit by embracing community and music culture.

It's also going to be integrated in Microsoft Media Center PC and bundled on Gateway computers. Spooky huh?

It's pretty good, and if you have broadband it's too convenient to pass up.

http://napster.com/ <--- I registered ahead and it doesn't seem like they are launching the final site yet. It should be up tomorrow though. :)
spaghetti
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan

Post by spaghetti »

A few extra things:

You need Windows, Windows Media Player 7, and Internet Explorer to get this baby running. It's all integrated though so you don't have to make IE your default browser or anything.

128 Kb/s WMA9 is a lot better sounding than 128 Kb/s MP3. I would compare it to a 192 Kb/s MP3, but MP3 varies depending on how it's compressed.

You can play your music in seperate players that understand WMA9 format and Microsoft DRM.
spaghetti
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan

Re: Napster 2.0 Mini-Review

Post by spaghetti »

Hollywood Hasney wrote:
spaghetti wrote:They are encoded in 128 Kb/s WMA
Well that just talked me out of it. Dear god what are they thinking :(
You should try some Windows Media 9 encoded songs. The quality at lower bitrates is much, much better than similar bitrates in MP3. So don't go thinking you're gonna get warbly crappy sound like a 128 Kb/s MP3... cause it's gonna sound more like a typical 192+ MP3.

Also, there are huge differences between Windows Media 7, 8, and 9... the codecs, not the players... so if you haven't tried 9 recently, it would be a good time to take another try at it.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

*sigh* More and more excuses for the Riaa to stay around and sue people for useing kazaa.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I am perfectly fine with paying for music downloads if the price is fair and if the music library is good enough.

Napster 2.0 seems to meet these requirements, but the whole america thing causes problems for me.
spaghetti
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan

Post by spaghetti »

Well, if you want really really high quality you might as well go buy the original album, which is only a bit more than what you'd pay to get it of Napster anyway. But this is perfect for the casual downloaders who just want the new singles and stuff.

Or there is always radio...
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

We're sorry, Napster is not currently available outside the United States. If you feel you have reached this message in error please contact Customer Support at help@napster.com

Back to Napster.com
What the? It's the INTERnet... how hard can this be? I'm guessing it's some sort of copyright thing, but if that's the best "licensed" music downloads can give me, I'm going back to Kazaa Lite :evil:
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

Lyris wrote:

We're sorry, Napster is not currently available outside the United States. If you feel you have reached this message in error please contact Customer Support at help@napster.com

Back to Napster.com
What the? It's the INTERnet... how hard can this be? I'm guessing it's some sort of copyright thing, but if that's the best "licensed" music downloads can give me, I'm going back to Kazaa Lite :evil:
same, i'm sticking with KLite K++ until it hits canada
djray
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by djray »

soulseek... $10 a month... priority downloads = good times! :wink:
gamedudex
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by gamedudex »

hahhahaha u really would pay for napster...lol

its not worth it.. use kazza or another service i stick to the free stuf for , msuic , movies, and games
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Hollywood Hasney wrote:I usually use 320kb/s MP3 though ;) I'm a fussy fancy pants

ape or flac is where its at :P
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

gamedudex wrote:hahhahaha u really would pay for napster
yeah, because legally obtaining music is fer suxz0rzzzz!!!11
not that i do, but at least i dont slam people that do what is right
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

OR you could nip down to your local CD store buy the album, get the art and then put it on MP3 (if you must have it on MP3)
spaghetti
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan

Post by spaghetti »

It's not for everyone, definitely not for people who want their music for free. But really, is 99 cents such a big deal for the tunes that take up a large part of your time? I mean music is the soundtrack of your very life, and that should be worth something!

Napster is good for a lot of people because you don't have to wade through broken downloads and crappy rips to find a suitable song, something that is a chore for us dialup users. And sometomes those file sharing clients simply won't work over slow connections. At least with Napster you know you're downloading a good quality rip and it will download as fast as your connection can handle (typically 15-20 minutes for me, as opposed to 30, 40, 50, etc. minutes on WinMX).
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

The idea is good - I like it. however you wont see me using it cause I'm a cheapass, and I dont listen to music all that much.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Why is it $10 for one album, but also $10 for unlimited downloads?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Hollywood Hasney wrote:
az_bont wrote:Why is it $10 for one album, but also $10 for unlimited downloads?
A month... For those that won't get an album a month
Why not just sign up for a single month and download as much as you want?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

az_bont wrote:
Hollywood Hasney wrote:
az_bont wrote:Why is it $10 for one album, but also $10 for unlimited downloads?
A month... For those that won't get an album a month
Why not just sign up for a single month and download as much as you want?
Because every song that will ever exist hasn't actually come out yet?
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Because every song that will ever exist hasn't actually come out yet?

So, I could still sign up for a month, download 6,440 songs, and then cancel it? Then have only paid .001C for each song? BITCHING!
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

I like the idea of downloadable music, but come on.

For 10 dollars, you're getting compressed music. It's not nearly CD quality, nor is it cheap enough to minimize the difference.

At 5 dollars an album, I'd do it, but I only have to pay 7 - 13 for a CD, which is much better quality/and has art.

Also, I think I may start to go vinyl/dvd audio soon.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709