self boot dreamsnes question

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
kealist
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

self boot dreamsnes question

Post by kealist »

I was using the tutorial at
http://macemu.com/~dreamcast/dc_selfboot.htm

to try to make a self booting disc. Here is my questions

2.) Move the folder that contains the files "1st_read.bin" & "Ip.bin" to your home directory.

there is no "1st_read.bin" in the dreamsnes plain files. After making about 3 coasters; I am wondering if this is the problem? The last CD I burned the dreamcast treated as an audio cd. I will try it again to make sure I didn't miss a step or anything, but help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
kealist
kealist
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by kealist »

I just made a successful self boot of MAME using the same method, which did include the 1st_read.bin file, so is that the problem? if so, where can I get a copy of the dreamsnes plain files that contains it?
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

1st_read.bin is a general name. Dreamsnes may not have one named "1st_read.bin" but there will be a ".bin" eqiuvalent. just make sure you have the layout right,it will work fine. (just move the folder with the bins to your home,and take ip.bin out and put it directly in your home)
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
kealist
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by kealist »

I looked through all the plain files, and the only ".bin" file that exists in the package is ip.bin. I am currently attempting to create the disk on a pc to see if I have better luck, but they instruct to move the "1dsnes.sh4" into the main folder also. Is this an equivalent file or not?
MegaBomberMan
The Mac Mod
The Mac Mod
Location: My girlfriend's hou.... the mall, I'm at the mall :p

Post by MegaBomberMan »

Try downloading the plain files from another site, or I think you can use another emu's 1st_read.bin, but I could be wrong about that, so wait for confirmation from Weasel, the user formally known as tenchi (since I cant remember his nick), jared, or another reliable source.
Imaget(-_-)===@
kealist
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by kealist »

ALright I will at least try to check around, thanks.

peace,
kealist
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

no,dont use another emus 1st_read.bin,then youll be running another emu,not dreamsnes.

i think as long as you get the layout right,things will be ok. the ipbin is just a pointer program,as long as it can find the right dreamsnes file,it should boot.

I dont think the download is messed up.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
IPyRo
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by IPyRo »

ya i had that same prob heres with dreamsnes what i did and it works...
i just unstuffed the plaing files and it didn't have a first read.bin so i just foloed I.M Weasel's turtorial and it works fine. and fyi use only the folder named "cd" not the whole thing witht the readme's. it u want me to write every step i took to burn it just let me know