Does The Reset Fixing Problem Work

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
theendisgone
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Does The Reset Fixing Problem Work

Post by theendisgone » Tue Jan 08, 2002 3:41 pm

Does This Work

How to fix : A Dreamcast that re-sets at random

So your playing away at some game, and all of a sudden your dreamcast re-sets and returns you to the main Dreamcast menu screen, you choose to ignore it the first time, but after a few days the problem gets worse, and eventually your dreamcast becomes unplayable.
Why is it doing this???
In nearly all cases the re-set problem is caused by two things, Heat expansion of circuit boards inside the dreamcast and poor electrical connections.

This is what happens inside your dreamcast and how it causes your dreamcast to re-set.

As you know the dreamcast takes mains supply voltage straight into the back of the system, and this voltage (240v Europe, 110 v America) needs to be stepped down and converted to a stable DC current that the electronic components can handle, As the electricity enters your dreamcast it passes through a step down transformer which reduces the voltage, unfortunately step down transformers generate heat and as things warm up they expand , the step down transformer in the dreamcast is located on a separate circuit board, the main power board, which is on the left hand side in the dreamcast above the Main mother board and to the left of the GD rom assembly, this is why the left side of the dreamcast gets warmer.
The main power board is connected to the dreamcast mother board by six aluminium pins, as the power board heats up it expands lightly putting pressure on the pins and over time this will bend them slightly, resulting in a poor electrical connection that will cause your dreamcast to re-set at random.

This is what you do to fix the problem.
You need the following :
a screwdriver with + blade
some common sense
and make sure that your dreamcast is out of warranty as the following will void it.

1) Disconnect from the mains, remove all
cables from the dreamcast and
any game disc that?s inside
2) Remove the modem
3) undo the four screws in the base of the
Dreamcast and KEEP SAFE
4) Remove the lid.
On the left hand side you will see: the
Main power board, with the GD rom
assembly to the right, the input port
Circuit board at the base, and in the
bottom left hand side you will see the
power on/off switch, this switch is
Connected to the power board with a grey
cable , at the power board end of the
cable their is a white connector, grip
the connecter at the base and lift clear.
5) undo the two brass screws that hold the
Power board down and KEEP SAFE
6) towards the base of the power board you
will see a white connector, it has six
pins sticking out, gently lift the power
board out of the dreamcast and off the
pins.
7) Under the power board there is a clear
plastic insulation sheet DO NOT REMOVE
THIS, IF YOU DO PUT IT BACK.
8) look at the pins and clean any dirt off
them DONT USE ANY LIQUID to clean them
with
9) GENTLY apply SMALL amount of pressure to
pins pushing them towards the back of the
dreamcast DO NOT BEND THEM, JUST APPLY A
SMALL AMOUNT OF PRESSURE
10) Re assemble your dreamcast and the re-
sets should be no more.

I Need To Know If It Works Because I Have Warrenty Still So I Cant Risk It But If Use My Warrenty And Get A New Console It Might Not Play CDR DISKS
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

Post by MidnightObsidian » Wed Jan 09, 2002 12:33 am

That is one of MANY causes for random resets. This could be the case, or your lens might be dirty. Maybe your board is shorting out somewhere. Sometimes, the fan connections work themselves apart and that causes all sorts of damn problems.

Here's what you should do. Use a well-fitting screwdriver, be gentle, and do some investigation. There isn't a seal or something that you'd break if you open the thing, so as long as the screws don't show any obvious wear, you're okay. There's really not much to hurt on the inside, so if all else fails you should be able to put it back together and call in on the warranty. Good luck!
I'm not Clessoulis. Seriously.
inZane
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by inZane » Wed Jan 09, 2002 1:15 am

well, it worked for me! :) After i tried it I had no more problems with my dreamcast! now I can play shenmue II :)
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc » Wed Jan 09, 2002 10:43 am

Me, my Friends, and my Cousins DC's have never reset since I have done it to theirs!

Its worth trying, and you cant easily break anything.
theendisgone
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by theendisgone » Wed Jan 09, 2002 2:17 pm

Thanks people
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

Post by MidnightObsidian » Wed Jan 09, 2002 9:59 pm

Hey, good luck. If you have any problems, feel free to IM me at MidnightObsidian or Eterna1Winter. I'm on the latter more often, just so you know.
I'm not Clessoulis. Seriously.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought » Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:35 pm

if you having problems understanding how to do this using this tutorial, check out mine. http://www.consolevision.com/members/fa ... _reset.htm, which was inspired by this topic.
shiroh
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by shiroh » Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:39 am

my 1st post in ages!!!!

all i did was solder a THIN layer of solder around the pins for a tighter fit around the contacts

pretty much garuantees the damn thing never resets again :mrgreen:
zprhead
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by zprhead » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:21 pm

I found this post from a google search on the subject.Anyway my dream cast was resetting and not even booting at times. I thought she had given up the ghost, checked the lens and motherboard as well everything was in good shape then I noticed the small switch to the back and right of the GD-ROM driver. This switch is activated when the lid is closed, and I guess after time it losens up.So I took a rubberband and looped it over the switch and pulled it back to have the switch on and just placed it between the top and bottom of the case and put everything back together.Its a quick and easy fix with only one drawback I cant swap disc now so im looking for another fix but as a temp thing it works.
JorJorMogBoy
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Re: Does The Reset Fixing Problem Work

Post by JorJorMogBoy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:43 pm

Wow, this trick worked on my sister's Dreamcast that she got in December of 2000. I'm so effing happy I can play Jet Grind Radio, Shenmue, and Skies of Arcadia again! x.x
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Does The Reset Fixing Problem Work

Post by emptythought » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:13 pm

I've never had (the lid switch problem) personally happen to me, and I've had just about every common problem happen but someone did tell me how they fixed theirs. It tends to just get dust inside it so you just gotta blow it out. Check out this tutorial.

EDIT: I didn't notice the bump.