pc emulation on dreamcast

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
rclements
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

pc emulation on dreamcast

Post by rclements »

is there any way to port pc games to dreamcast relatively easily, any information or place i can begin?...specifically id like to port Return to castle wolfenstein multiplayer, the machine should handle it..plus with the online capabilities....
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

very VERy unlikly on so many fromts that I really cannot be bothered to go into now ;)
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

This has got to be the 50th post I've moved today....urge to bring back porting requests growing stronger....spidey senses....tingling...

TOPIC MOVED TO THE MAIN FORUM
tom61
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by tom61 »

Dr Zoidberg wrote: This has got to be the 50th post I've moved today....urge to bring back porting requests growing stronger....spidey senses....tingling...

TOPIC MOVED TO THE MAIN FORUM
If it came back, the newbies would end up posting elsewhere anyway, since they'd get ignored and/or no one ports what they ask for (even if it's imposible).
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

We ignore anyways.... :)

or mock :lol: j/k :)
Cyber Chick
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Not a bad idea...

Post by Cyber Chick »

Sure, a 10 year old game was ported, so logically any game ever made can be ported, regardless that it relies on a processor or video hardware beyond the abilities of the DC.

Since my Corvette can go the same speed as a Yugo, I'm sure it can also "emulate" an F-14 :roll:

E for effort though :wink:
MagnetoMan
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

windows compatible??

Post by MagnetoMan »

im a little interested in this myself....
:?
what is so windows comaptible about the DC that makes it such a HUGE/IMPOSSIBLE task to get RTCW as a dc playable game???
:?:
rclements
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by rclements »

the only reason i thought return to castle wolfenstein m,aybe be possible to port is that it is based on the quake 3 arena engine...ive played that on dreamcast and it runs well.........just a thought...
Heliophobe_
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Not a bad idea...

Post by Heliophobe_ »

Cyber Chick wrote: Since my Corvette can go the same speed as a Yugo, I'm sure it can also "emulate" an F-14 :roll:

Mine's emulating large, heavy rock these days.
kRYPT_
DCFactory Creator
DCFactory Creator

windows compatible??

Post by kRYPT_ »

MagnetoMan wrote: im a little interested in this myself....
:?
what is so windows comaptible about the DC that makes it such a HUGE/IMPOSSIBLE task to get RTCW as a dc playable game???
:?:
a) You don't have the source code.
b) The binary will run only on Windows x86 systems. (read: not CE)
c) Even if you had the knowledge to reverse engineer it, It would be illegal

(I don't think iD would be too happy.. they've been very good at releasing old source code, and i think that the community owes them enough to not reverse engineer their current stuff).
Ben Bizarro
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Not a bad idea...

Post by Ben Bizarro »

Cyber Chick wrote: Sure, a 10 year old game was ported, so logically any game ever made can be ported, regardless that it relies on a processor or video hardware beyond the abilities of the DC.
Are you saying that a DC is less powerful than a modern PC?! :o

Will womnders never cease? :|
ty
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by ty »

i would like to see some classics like monkey island or indiana jones playing on dc. if it were possible i would love to see double dragon, rygar and rush and crash. arcade versions running fullspeed with good sound on dc. from what i gather these games would have more chance of running well if they were coded seperatly for dc rather than supported by mame dc.
dcemuler
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

windows compatible??

Post by dcemuler »

really?

It's illegall ??

So ....

SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!
SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!
SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!
SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!
SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!

Make CDRs selfbootable is illegal

AND THE UTOPIA cd is illegal

So never ever burn a cdr and put it in your dreamcast again
Seeking only strenght
Couldness that could burn a person
Throwing away pride
Stopping time with hatred
dumb_ass_dog
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dumb_ass_dog »

dcemuler, you are fucking retarded.
s?lidsnake
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by s?lidsnake »

Dcemuer, you never cease to amaze me with all that BS, if you don't have any good info or ideas, shut it~!
MGS2 Demo-Japanese
GAME OVER
"Snaka', Snaka', SNAAKAA!"
Chainfist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Legal barriers

Post by Chainfist »

I don't think there is further need to talk about creating programs that are legal or not. Its hard enough to create the programs/CDs and there is no real profit for the creators of the emulation software. There is also no profit for the copywrite holders to go after every small potato that has crossed the legal line. Especialy for the likes of 10 year old games like Wolf.

The issues is to discuss ideas and theories about creating emulated software. Legal issues are easy. Programing is hard. Nuf Said.
kRYPT_
DCFactory Creator
DCFactory Creator

Legal barriers

Post by kRYPT_ »

Wolf had the source released by it's copyright-holder, it's now GPL (as are a few other of their older games). The DC port is fully legal, and is likely the kind of thing that iD wanted to encourage by releasing the code.
Chainfist wrote: I don't think there is further need to talk about creating programs that are legal or not. Its hard enough to create the programs/CDs and there is no real profit for the creators of the emulation software. There is also no profit for the copywrite holders to go after every small potato that has crossed the legal line. Especialy for the likes of 10 year old games like Wolf.

The issues is to discuss ideas and theories about creating emulated software. Legal issues are easy. Programing is hard. Nuf Said.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

ty wrote:i would like to see some classics like monkey island or indiana jones playing on dc. if it were possible i would love to see double dragon, rygar and rush and crash. arcade versions running fullspeed with good sound on dc. from what i gather these games would have more chance of running well if they were coded seperatly for dc rather than supported by mame dc.
ScummVM emulates Monkey Island 1-3 and Indiana Jones wonderfully. Here's the website http://scummvm.org/
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

Legality doesnt fucking matter anymore. Its a 7 yo dead console. Plus we use the ip.bin and boot bin all the time and all those files are illegal.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

RMD wrote:Plus we use the ip.bin and boot bin all the time and all those files are illegal.
Are they really?