.smc vs .fig

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
JohnnyO
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

.smc vs .fig

Post by JohnnyO »

Is it possible to run .fig ROMs on DreamSNES? I read the burning tutorial and other posts, but have seen nothing about fig files. If DreamSNES cannot run figs, is there a fig to smc converter out that won't degrade the rom quality? Thanks.
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

Yes, DreamSNES can run .fig's & apparently they run faster too. SNESTool, which you can get from here, can convert roms to .fig, although all the roms I tried to convert came out screwed up when using it.
JohnnyO
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Thanks

Post by JohnnyO »

Thanks Zoid, now I can finally burn my DreamSNES disk! :)
michwolverines
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by michwolverines »

Yeah, I have Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 as .FIG and they run full speed.
Tagan
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Tagan »

how do you change it to .fig on SNESTools? :?: nevermind figured it out even though all it did was mess up my roms >:(
Ghaleon
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Ghaleon »

The fullspeed is with or without sound? I think I'll try burning it in .fig format tonight. Do the .fig conversions that are supposedly fucked work in the PC emu you try?
Tagan
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Tagan »

nope my converted roms are just ruined! they don't work at all. not on any emus DC or PC
Tagan
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Tagan »

Since ppl seem to respond to posts in here instead of my "Figs Speed up emulation" forum, If you just plain Rename no snestools used from a SMC to a .Fig from just renaming does it speed up the game if you dont use SNES Tools or any program?
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

no, renaming will not make any changes to the rom so there would be no way for speed to change... as for fig roms running faster, i think i was the first one to point this out way back in the day,. but ill reinterate that in fact all the fig roms on my disc (all four of them 8^] ) DO run at a very good speed (95-100%), but this DOES NOT mean that the fig format is inherently faster, the only way to do that would be to check with fig and smc (or any other format) roms of the same game running and compare them, and as far as i know no one has bothered to check this out as of yet... as far as we all know, it could just be a coincidence that the roms taht have been dumped on the net that tend to be in fig format are just games that run fast on dreamsnes...it seems that most peoples DK2 and 3 roms are fig (as are mine), and they do run very near full speed, but so does my dk1 rom which is smc, so it may just be the game...like i said, if someone would like to do an actual comparison, we could have a definative yes or no answer to this question, but untill then it will continue to be brought up every two months or so...
Jagaadelic
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Jagaadelic »

SNESTool does tend to mess up your roms when you try to convert them to fig format. I found that Ucon works pretty well at converting them over to fig format. Sorry, I can't rember were I got it from. You will need to change the extention yourself, but you can easily make a bat file that will rename them all for you. Ucon still messes up the checksum, but most of the time they are still playable on DreamSNES. I tried this on around a 100 of my snes roms and it did speed them up a little, but it took so long to convert them over that it was almost not worth the effort.

Does anyone know of a program that will correct the checksums of snes roms, since none of the programs available at Zohar's appear too.
DC Compatibility Lists
-[d]colem
-Dream-O-Rama
-SMEG
-oddDC
Hosted by Consolevision
DeGamer1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer1 »

Jagaadelic wrote: Does anyone know of a program that will correct the checksums of snes roms, since none of the programs available at Zohar's appear too.
I beleive a program called Duper does that.
discostu55555 wrote: like i said, if someone would like to do an actual comparison, we could have a definative yes or no answer to this question, but untill then it will continue to be brought up every two months or so...
I 'll have an answer to that soon. I'm making another DreamSNES CD, so I'll compare both fig and smc of the same game.
Oh, no. NO! You can't do this to me. Don't give me a playstation. NOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want a piece of crap. Take it back and burn it to heeelll!!! Die Sony Computer Entertainment with you PS (Piece of Sh?t) and your PS 2 (Piece of Sh?t?2)
Jagaadelic
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Jagaadelic »

DeGamer wrote:
I beleive a program called Duper does that.
Thanks, I will give it a try.
DC Compatibility Lists
-[d]colem
-Dream-O-Rama
-SMEG
-oddDC
Hosted by Consolevision
Doom5
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Doom5 »

It doesn't make sense that the .fig format would allow games to run faster. Dreamsnes just decodes the file and emulates the code.
s?lidsnake
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by s?lidsnake »

yes thats what I'm thinking, and I think discostu is right about this, but I may be wrong.
discostu55555 wrote:but ill reinterate that in fact all the fig roms on my disc (all four of them 8^] ) DO run at a very good speed (95-100%), but this DOES NOT mean that the fig format is inherently faster, the only way to do that would be to check with fig and smc (or any other format) roms of the same game running and compare them, and as far as i know no one has bothered to check this out as of yet... as far as we all know, it could just be a coincidence that the roms taht have been dumped on the net that tend to be in fig format are just games that run fast on dreamsnes...it seems that most peoples DK2 and 3 roms are fig (as are mine), and they do run very near full speed, but so does my dk1 rom which is smc, so it may just be the game
MGS2 Demo-Japanese
GAME OVER
"Snaka', Snaka', SNAAKAA!"
kRYPT_
DCFactory Creator
DCFactory Creator

Post by kRYPT_ »

Yep, the code is run from RAM, so although loading time MAY or MAY NOT be faster, execution time simply cannot be affected.
Doom5 wrote: It doesn't make sense that the .fig format would allow games to run faster. Dreamsnes just decodes the file and emulates the code.
Roam
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Hey

Post by Roam »

Just to let you guys know, I DID compare smc to fig files awhile back (I converted the same smc to fig and ran both). And you know what? It really isnt worth it. The only thing I noticed was the fig games ran a bit more consistently, but that is about it. Sorry to burst your bubble people....
donnonotin
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by donnonotin »

it doesnt seem to make much of a difference to me, fig r just a tiny bit faster but i dont really care
donnonotin
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by donnonotin »

opps i didnt realalize this was old, sorry
Clessouliss
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Clessouliss »

What about roms confugired as .bins do they run faster to?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Once the ROMs are loaded, there's no difference between a ROM in SMC, SFC, FIG or whatever format. They might load faster, but they won't run faster.

What ROM formats does DreamSNES support anyway? I know that it doesn't support zipped ROMs, and I don't think it supports split ROMs.