DVD to VCD?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
MagnetoMan
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DVD to VCD?

Post by MagnetoMan »

ive heard enough about VCD.

ADMIN!! you can delete this topic anytime... thanks

im so paranoid that a police man might catch me watching a movie on my dc and arrest me.... that im not going to risk making VCDs.

thanks for the information though, folks
Last edited by MagnetoMan on Tue Jan 08, 2002 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AnimeUSA
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by AnimeUSA »

Nope, the Dreamcast would have to have a DVD reading laser in order to read DVD's. GD-ROM reader won't cut it.

-AnimeUSA
TheBouncer
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TheBouncer »

You would need to rip your DVDs and convert the files to MPEG1 format and use with GypPlay.
IgotAquestion4U
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by IgotAquestion4U »

Ripping DVD's into Mpeg-1 is unbelievably difficult to most people (including myself). It's not really as difficult as it is time consuming though.
IUG-13

Post by IUG-13 »

Not only is it hard, it's illegeal! :D
UberJim
UberBootCreator
UberBootCreator

Post by UberJim »

Is it still illegeal if you own the DVD's? I don't know why you would want to rip them if you really owned them unless you were going to share them which would be illegeal.
Last edited by UberJim on Tue Jan 08, 2002 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagnetoMan
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

i geat high like thea illegeal eageal

Post by MagnetoMan »

:arrow: I own a few DVDs but only one dvd player. i have my dreamcast in my bedroom, and it would be cool to watch my dvds up in my room. Does anyone know where i can find info on translating my DVDs into mpgs, and does this take up more space on a cdr? ie: will one of my movies fit on one cdr in mpg format? :?:
Last edited by MagnetoMan on Tue Jan 08, 2002 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kRYPT_
DCFactory Creator
DCFactory Creator

Post by kRYPT_ »

Actually, just owning anything that is capable of ripping a DVD is illegal...
Gotta love the US ;)
IUG wrote: Not only is it hard, it's illegeal! :D
UberJim
UberBootCreator
UberBootCreator

IUG the NARC

Post by UberJim »

MagnetoMan wrote: :evil: IUG, if you want to be the DCemu forums Police officer you could at least learn how to spell. "ILLEGEAL"

:arrow: I own a few DVDs but only one dvd player. i have my dreamcast in my bedroom, and it would be cool to watch my dvds up in my room. Does anyone know where i can find info on translating my DVDs into mpgs, and does this take up more space on a cdr? ie: will one of my movies fit on one cdr in mpg format? :?:
I assume you are talking to me because I was the one who mispelled the word. Did you actually bother to read my post? I started by posing a question not preaching law. Also, if minor spelling errors upset you so much you have some other issues. What next? are you going to critique my grammar too? I think that people not reading posts and then incorrectly responding is much worse than simple spelling errors.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

IUG wrote:Not only is it hard, it's illegeal! :D
Its not hard its very easy, but very illegeal :roll: :wink:

Zac
Ghaleon
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Ghaleon »

How is it illegal if you own it? Ripping a DVD you own on to your own computer should violate no laws. I'd like someone to clarify this for me.
Heliophobe_
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe_ »

Ghaleon wrote: How is it illegal if you own it? Ripping a DVD you own on to your own computer should violate no laws. I'd like someone to clarify this for me.
In the US, developing, owning, or using software to circumvent copy protection may be illegal, even if it is for legitamite purposes such as making personal backups, thanks to the Digital Millenium Copyright Act.

Putting it this way, ripping a non-encrypted DVD probably isn't illegal if it's just for backups/personal use. Running DeCSS on an encrypted DVD probably is illegal.

The DMCA is so vague and sweeping and poorly worded it can be hard to tell what is or isn't legal, though.

Hopefully the congressman from Virginia will have some luck overturning the stupider bits of the DMCA.
MagnetoMan
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

relax

Post by MagnetoMan »

in the us its against the law to smoke weed too. but that dont stop me

im sorry if it seemed like i was jumping on you there about the spelling, i just have no regard for the so called "law" that was created by a bunch of people who havent earned my respect, of whom ive never met, and blah de blah....
if i want to make a copy of a dvd that i happened to pay my hard earned dollar on, just so that i can watch it in a different room in my own home, im going to do so. its against the law to burn a mix cd off the internet too. oh boo hoo some rich artist now makes 3 million instead of 4. #$%! "the man". burning a dreamsnes rom cd is against the law too you know, unless you own every game... but some where along the line someone was illegally tampering with something to get that rom you know.....

whoa. ramblin man i am. hope someone understands what im tryin to say here....

sorry if i offended anyone! peace to all. moral justice style
oh and UBERJIM... you both spelled it wrong. 8)

------------------------------------------------

:wink: word is bond like super glue
IUG-13

Post by IUG-13 »

Jesus, MagMan. Bitching over one "L", and then trying to cover it up. Just cuz we say something is illegal, doesn't mean we are gonna stop you from doing it. Damn, I use SegaGen, so I am not the "Police"... :evil:
s?lidsnake
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by s?lidsnake »

Yeah, IUGs your SegaGen Master, Arn't you, Wink'Wink'
MGS2 Demo-Japanese
GAME OVER
"Snaka', Snaka', SNAAKAA!"
Ben Bizarro
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Let me play referee here...

Post by Ben Bizarro »

Uberjim: He was talking to IUG, since IUG originally mispelled it. Did you copy him? Kind of a strange mis-spelling :?

IUG: He had already apologized by the time you responded. Maybe you guys should switch to "against the law" since you have such a hard time with illegal. :wink:

WAIT! Someone said SegaGen, not S*gaG*n or S3gaG3n, or S---G--?! RUN FOR COVER!
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Man if someone gets upset over mispells and grammar don't read my stuff LOL!

Anyways I always seem to recall there being a law that stated you could make 1 back-up of any software you owned. I even remember older PC games (back in the early 90's though) that even reminded you to make a single backup for yourself. This of course was diskettes and everybody was able to copy a disk.

I remember about 3 or 4 years ago I owned the PS1 game Mega Man Legends. I paid 39.99 for it at the time, which was the going price for it. Well about a year later I was stupid and steped on it and broke it. I contacted sony about it and they pretty said I was screwed. That is the exact reason people should be allowed to make a Backup. Ever since then I have made back-ups of all my games that I am able to back-up. I think if they don't want us backing stuff up they should replace broked cd's since we all know they cost less then 50 cents to make. They said I would just have to buy a new copy of it somewhere.

Same deal with Cartridges. How many people here still have Legend of Zelda for NES? Luckily back then they had normal screws so you could take the game apart and replace the batterys. However N64, and GBA games have those weird screws in them, so what are we to do when the batterys go dead in the games?
MagnetoMan
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by MagnetoMan »

IUG wrote: Jesus, MagMan. Bitching over one "L", and then trying to cover it up. Just cuz we say something is illegal, doesn't mean we are gonna stop you from doing it. Damn, I use SegaGen, so I am not the "Police"... :o
it was funny when you spelled illegal "illegeal"
it was funny when the guy after you spelled illegal "illegeal"
its even more funny that you're bitching at me for bitching at you over one "L"

BTW: i was "bitching" at your "ea" not the one "L"
you had enough Ls in there.

im sorry if i offended you then or now. relax.

and im not trying to "cover it up"
im trying to reconcile. :wink:
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

You know what? I'm with Magneto Man on this one. I'm sick and tired of these stoopid assed copyright laws. If I go out and buy a dvd, I should be able to do anything I want with it short of making a copy and giving it to someone who doesn't own that particular title.

It is incredibly easy to rip dvd's to mpeg 1 format. Just score dvd2avi, tmpeg, and the vfapi program from http://www.divx-digest.com. Save the project in dvd2avi and enable forced film operation, load it and convert it in vfapi, and open up the generated wav and avi files in tmpeg, set up the mpeg 1 parameters, and whamo! It took me about 3 hours to convert an hour and a half movie.

Bouncer, good news, I finally got around to ripping part of a dvd and putting it on a gyplay disc, looked alright, playback still a little jerky. Next set will probably do 480x360, we'll see pretty soon, but I'm almost out of cdr's.

And this site might as well host segagen, had a good reason 6 seconds ago but seems I forgot it, tho I think we're all a little tired of not having it, as I can't find the thing anywhere, and cant be bothered to add something else to my search list in direct connect. And I'm sorry for any spelling errors, hope nobdy proofreads this.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Why should it host SegaGen? So ya can rip more shit outta Sega? Give me a break....