R u Teh C00\_???!!!1

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

R u Teh C00\_???!!!1

Post by jaredfogle »

I had a hard time deciding between putting this in Off, Null, or Current Events. Mods, please move it shoud the need be.

http://adbusters.org/magazine/49/articl ... _cool.html

An excellent bit of insight on the coolness cycle.

Reminds me of back in 7th grade. Everyone was wearing fake-vintage clothes because it was the hip thing to do. Then once the fad was out, everyone move on to American Eagle and the Gap.

The same is happening with punk style right now. The work punk is now as much of a stigma as wigger is. More than likely, in a short time all of the punks will move to the next fad.

Black America's culture has been raped and ravaged to no end. What will be next? Will the rap commercials last as long as the rock commercials (in 1990 a McDonald's commercial was likely to have guitars rather than emcees)?

The current trend seems to be going back to anti-cool. Dr. Pepper makes you an individual. Its cool to be an individual. Because individuals don't care what others think. Although, anyone who isn't braindead would realize that that makes no sense.

Thoughts?
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
MDPBlackout
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by MDPBlackout »

I couldn't be bothered to read the whole article I skimmed and what I did read was very confusing. I agree about the punk thing. They say they aren't following the fads and stuff but it is becoming a fad. So basically Punk has turned into what it was originally against
djray
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by djray »

jaredfogle... it belongs in this forum! :wink:

anyway, i don't think it is that good of an article... i mean for their case study on "coolness" they use snoop dogg's appearance on SNL sporting Tommy Hilfiger as an example.

they hit one point correct in saying that "17" is the target age because most teens, believe it or not, has relatively and i say that in a very flexible sense, large amounts of disposible income and are stupid in how they use it! wearing the latest nike product back in the late 90s meant one step closer to acceptance. today it is the gap and american eagle.

personally, i hated all that bullshat... as long as you're comfortable with yourself screw all that corporate marketing and find your own style.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

The point about Snoop Dogg was that Tommy Hilfigger was trying to get poor black kids who look up to Snoop to buy his clothes. And that demographic is easily swayed by rap stars because they are the only black icons the kids have to look up to. All you see on BET is black people waering expensive clothes and doing bad things. Why doesnt BET have a weekly show hosted by Professor Cornel West and KRS-ONE? Because they don't actually care about black culture. Just ratings.

And what they meant by 17 is our "Aspirational" age is that everyone from the 13 year old girl in a halter-top with glitter makeup on, to the 30 year old still clinging to his youth, wants to be 17.

But then you also have a point, most teens recklessly spend money because it is only natural to be insecure in your teen years. You want the coolest car/shoes/shirt so that you will be accepted.
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

Did you guys ever have to deal with the Jnco fad? *shudders*
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Jabba2442 wrote:Did you guys ever have to deal with the Jnco fad? *shudders*
I remember that.. huge pants.
djray
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by djray »

jaredfogle wrote:The point about Snoop Dogg was that Tommy Hilfigger was trying to get poor black kids who look up to Snoop to buy his clothes. And that demographic is easily swayed by rap stars because they are the only black icons the kids have to look up to. All you see on BET is black people waering expensive clothes and doing bad things. Why doesnt BET have a weekly show hosted by Professor Cornel West and KRS-ONE? Because they don't actually care about black culture. Just ratings.

And what they meant by 17 is our "Aspirational" age is that everyone from the 13 year old girl in a halter-top with glitter makeup on, to the 30 year old still clinging to his youth, wants to be 17.
i understood the snoop/hilfiger example... it's just not a good one.

and yes, i know what the article meant when they were talking about the "aspiring age" of 17 also. although i don't think the age should be 17, it should be 19... but that's just me.
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

That article is utter garbage. The 'uncool' thing isn't true, it's just another issue with wanting not to conform, much like every trend was before it. The only difference with this one is that the writer doesn't understand it.

Statements of individualism aren't valued, they're stolen. Take for example Avril Lavaigne, who 'created' her own look. Did people see that and think, 'Wow, I can be unique too!'? No, they thought, gee, wearing a tie is cool. The only variable in each generation is whether the kids set the standard for cool, or the corporations do first. Either way they'll be exploited in no time flat.
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest... Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly...stupid.
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

MDPBlackout wrote:I couldn't be bothered to read the whole article I skimmed and what I did read was very confusing. I agree about the punk thing. They say they aren't following the fads and stuff but it is becoming a fad. So basically Punk has turned into what it was originally against
what is considered punk on the radio is pop...punk is still very undergound and most bands will stay that way.
MDPBlackout
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by MDPBlackout »

Jabba2442 wrote:
MDPBlackout wrote:I couldn't be bothered to read the whole article I skimmed and what I did read was very confusing. I agree about the punk thing. They say they aren't following the fads and stuff but it is becoming a fad. So basically Punk has turned into what it was originally against
what is considered punk on the radio is pop...punk is still very undergound and most bands will stay that way.
I meant the goth type of dressing not the music
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

I dress like a greaser/1950's guy always and forever, just nice clothes, button up shirts with the sleaves rolled up to elbows, combed hair, sunglasses or boxframes, and in the winter a nice sweater. Chicks like guys who look clean and classy :mrgreen:
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

Jabba2442 wrote:
Defined by whom? The bands on the radio still consider themselves punk. And for someone else to say to another band that they aren't punk takes away from the whole culture of non-conformity to begin with. If you have to conform to be punk, what's the point?

Beyond that, the bands on the radio have a self-interest reason not to call the other stuff punk. It takes away their competetion. Life is much easier if you're only competing with people who don't suceed. I've been to actual punk concerts and there isn't anything underground about them. They aren't popular, but that doesn't mean underground. Gigli wasn't popular, was that movie underground?

The reason stuff becomes popular is because people like it. You can take the cynical opinion all you like and declare the corporations set the standards, and this is probably true. But they still do it by producing what people like. The reason 'true' punk isn't popular, is because not many people like it.

There are a few punk bands that refuse to go mainstream, and they have my respect. I think NoFX is one. But most would if they could...they just can't.
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest... Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly...stupid.
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

people who thought they were punk when they listen to avril lavigne or blink 182 need to be shot.
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

Wasgo wrote:
Jabba2442 wrote:
Defined by whom? The bands on the radio still consider themselves punk. And for someone else to say to another band that they aren't punk takes away from the whole culture of non-conformity to begin with. If you have to conform to be punk, what's the point?

Beyond that, the bands on the radio have a self-interest reason not to call the other stuff punk. It takes away their competetion. Life is much easier if you're only competing with people who don't suceed. I've been to actual punk concerts and there isn't anything underground about them. They aren't popular, but that doesn't mean underground. Gigli wasn't popular, was that movie underground?

The reason stuff becomes popular is because people like it. You can take the cynical opinion all you like and declare the corporations set the standards, and this is probably true. But they still do it by producing what people like. The reason 'true' punk isn't popular, is because not many people like it.

There are a few punk bands that refuse to go mainstream, and they have my respect. I think NoFX is one. But most would if they could...they just can't.
I hate it when im not right...but you have very valid points...
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Everyone is stuck on music. But what you don't realize is that nearly every aspect of our lived is affected (or, at least they try to cause an effect) by advertising.

I can't walk outside without hearing or seeing an advertisement for overpriced beverages, $150 shoes, Hummers, and apparently I Think Different since I use a mac. Thanks Apple, for liberating me from normality.

And as we see all of our heros and all of the pretty people wearing Gap, our insecurities take over. The shoes that you like but are on sale so they must be old? Well they aren't good enough. They are out of style. You need Reebok Classics.
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

jaredfogle wrote:Everyone is stuck on music. But what you don't realize is that nearly every aspect of our lived is affected (or, at least they try to cause an effect) by advertising.

I can't walk outside without hearing or seeing an advertisement for overpriced beverages, $150 shoes, Hummers, and apparently I Think Different since I use a mac. Thanks Apple, for liberating me from normality.

And as we see all of our heros and all of the pretty people wearing Gap, our insecurities take over. The shoes that you like but are on sale so they must be old? Well they aren't good enough. They are out of style. You need Reebok Classics.
Really, insecurities take over? Mine don't. I rarely notice what anyone else is wearing other than if the lines/colours suit them. Likewise when I'm shopping. But I do occasionally (and I do mean occasionally) brand-whore for Adias. But that's mainly because I like the look of the logo, and it usually is decent fabric.
thynosferatu
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by thynosferatu »

The fake punk is popular because of a store called Hot Topic which sells things trying to be punk. Hot Topic is in the mall so all the trendy kids go there. These kids think going to Hot Topic and buying a $500,000.00 pair of plaid pants with a zipper and a shirt that says "I'm Punk!" is going to make them punk, that's silly. The word "punk" means someone who gives blow-jobs in prison for cigarettes (it's true)....So laugh at the kids with shirts that say "I enjoy being punk". I'm more punk then most the kids at my school just because I know what punk is and wear what I like, not what everyone else likes (I never took claim to being punk, though).
Yo, I'm cooler now.
AIM :: xThyNosferatu
MDPBlackout
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by MDPBlackout »

thynosferatu wrote:The fake punk is popular because of a store called Hot Topic
we have that in my mall
NiGHTSFTP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by NiGHTSFTP »

I like dressing in dark clothing. Black especially.

But, I fucking hate goths O_o. Well, except the "hot goth chicks", cause they are hot.

Oh, and my favorite article of clothing is my Stile Project hoodie :twisted:
Signatures images may be no greater than cock pixels high by dick pixels wide in dimension and balls kilobytes in filesize. Multiple images may be wang, but in total they may not exceed the johnson specifications.
thynosferatu
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by thynosferatu »

Yeah, I wear black all the time, but I'm not really goth. I also had a mohawk for like 5 minutes (My dad made me shave it off) and listen to a lot of REAL punk bands (But I also listen to other music) and I'm not punk either. I hate it when people "stereotype" people doing a certain "thing" as being part of a certain group.
Yo, I'm cooler now.
AIM :: xThyNosferatu