DCLinux help

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Shilar
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DCLinux help

Post by Shilar »

My main question is: How does one run programs other than what's on the Linux CD, in Linux? I'd love to try running PyDDR or even Mugen.
Why is it for every game system bulletin board, there's more people bashing the system than those praising it?

Dreamcast: Mankind's last hope for open-ended gaming.
tom61a
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tom61a »

1. You'll need stuff compiled to run on SH4 for it to work. This basically means you need Linux on your desktop, and the source to whatever you want to run.

2. You need some way to transfer the code to the Dreamcast. BBA is best to connect to an NFS drive and load it from there. The Coder's Cable will work too, you need to terminal into DCLinux and then upload it via Kermit or other transfer protocol to the RAM drive on the DC. If you don't have either a BBA or the Coders cable, then your only option is create a new Linux DC image inside Linux on your desktop and add whatever programs you want before burning it. (it's best to just recreate DC Linux from scratch rather than extracting it from the existing image)
BlackxKnight
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by BlackxKnight »

so hold up...ive been told that Mugen on DC was impossible because the DC didnt have enough RAM to run it but what ure saying is that with a coders cable i could transfer mugen to my DC after i have linux is up via Kermit and the coders cable...correct me if im wrong
BxKreations Now much more than just Mugen.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

You can either burn the stuff to the disc (which requires a PC with a Unix-like OS, such as Linux), or you can transfer it to the DC after it's running. You could probably use a coder's cable, but a BBA or LAN adapter would be easier - you can just mount the stuff over the network using NFS (or SMB if DCLinux has Samba installed).

You can't run Mugen on it, since it's only available as x86-compiled binaries.
Shilar
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Shilar »

Too bad there's not an x86 emulator for the DC.
Why is it for every game system bulletin board, there's more people bashing the system than those praising it?

Dreamcast: Mankind's last hope for open-ended gaming.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Yeah. There was some work into an x86 emulator that can load x86-compiled Linux apps and run them as if they were native. I think it actually works quite well, although slowly. It's primary aim was to do the same thing, but using Wine or DOSEmu to allow Linux/Unix users on non-x86 systems to run Windows and DOS programs.

I don't know if that works on the DC (it'd probably be way too slow, or use too much memory) but it might be worth a try.