adding ram for emulation?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
runkthepunk
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

adding ram for emulation?

Post by runkthepunk »

ok this may have been asked before but i couldn't see it about... :)

i remember a question about emulation and someone replied not enough ram on DC so is it possible to replace the ram? :? they said it was but pointless because all DC games are designed to run with 16mb ram the extra would simply be wasted....but

If you took out the 16mb Ram from DC and replaced it with a higher spec 64mb or higher for example - would this make the emulation for systems such as Neo-Geo N64 GBA and some PC titles all with high ram needs anymore possible just a thought.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

You could do it, but you would need to reprogram the BIOS and have mad soldering skills. :wink:
nymus
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by nymus »

I'm not good with hardware...

which is why I found the "mad soldering skills" bit extremely funny.
behold the mind
inspired by Dreamcast
chrisfbt1
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by chrisfbt1 »

Your Soldering Skills would have to be Waaaaayyyyyy Better than Mad more like insane or imposible.
Juggalo_Jay
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Juggalo_Jay »

The ram chips would need ultra-fine-point solderings, wich are pretty much impossible without ultra-m4d-313337 soldering skillz and the proper equipment...
Cheese?
Unph@zed
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Unph@zed »

One thing you might also wanna consider is that the legit DC games might not work properly either. Games that might have been programmed to use MAX RAM would get their max, and probably run at a higher rate too, making the game experience poor.

Think about it this way, try to get an old .exe DOS game from like 1983 and run it on your 1.3 + ghz machine, without any 3rd party emulators or slo-mo applications. Ever tried to play PAC-MAN at over 100 x the original speed? Dddddlldit - DEAD - ddddllldit - DEAD :)
"Some day I'll figure out something to go here"

http://eyeofinsanity.doesntexist.com
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It shouldn't make any difference. Real DC games (and homebrew ones) are hard-coded to use 16MB of RAM. As soon as they fill that up, it's full. They don't even look for extra memory.

You could theoretically add extra memory (there's space in the CPU's memory map for it), and modify some homebrew apps to use it, but the problem is that you have to de-solder the RAM, which is surface mounted and has really small pins, then re-solder a higher capacity chip without damaging either the DC or the RAM.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

And only very few people would have actually bothered to try the mod so homebrew stuff would only work on a few machines
timofonic
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

is possible

Post by timofonic »

Hi

Is possible, gp32 can be expanded to up 64mb, so in dreamcast is possible, and make it for be invisible for comercial software, a instruction for activate the extra memory...

and about difficulty of expand dc, could be designed for make it easily, i unknow if this is possible...

Could be good for more cache for divx, n64, neogeo, mame...

timofonic
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

And only very few people would have actually bothered to try the mod so homebrew stuff would only work on a few machines
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Re: is possible

Post by Prophet][ »

timofonic wrote:Hi

Is possible, gp32 can be expanded to up 64mb, so in dreamcast is possible, and make it for be invisible for comercial software, a instruction for activate the extra memory...

and about difficulty of expand dc, could be designed for make it easily, i unknow if this is possible...

timofonic
But where are you going to get the ram from. You can't just walk down the street and find it in your local radio shack
dreamgamer
Graphics Devver
Graphics Devver

Post by dreamgamer »

Don't risk your DC unless you can program the N64 emu yourself, because No one will program something for one or two people to use.... lol especially if one of those people isn't themselves... don't risk it :mrgreen: You'll stab yourself in the process of getting the ram off the board... :!:
WEEEEEEEE! I ALSO MADE DCBLAP(Music & Art)! WEEEEEEEEEEE! Check It out @ http://www.c99.org/dc/dcblap/ .