ce loader question

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
atari_galaga
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

ce loader question

Post by atari_galaga »

does any one know if the win ce loader for the dc acctually works?
atari_galaga
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by atari_galaga »

im guessing it doesn't work.....or noone knows
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

I've never even heard of a wince loader.. Got a link?
tom61a
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tom61a »

WinCE loader itself does work on the DC, but it's just a simple menu, DC Generator does much more. The WinCE loader dev kit, on the other hand, was what DCDivx was developed with before it was ported over to KOS (used mostly for speed testing).

Background on WinCE loader dev kit:
It was released quite a while ago, before KOS, if I remember right. It allows you to make DC programs using eMedded Visual C (which is free from Microsoft), but requires the DC WinCE libraries from a comercial program (ala Gyplay) for the program to run on the DC. No has released programs made with the kit because of this (the WinCE libraries bring up controversy for some reason).

I tired setting it up once, but the documentation is spread all over (it has multiple directories and files) making it difficult to get everything setup to compile right. I eventually got bored with it and gave up.

Not sure where to get it now, but sites that carry 'special tools' for the Dreamcast might have it.
Cygnus
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Cygnus »

tom61a wrote:WinCE loader itself does work on the DC, but it's just a simple menu, DC Generator does much more. The WinCE loader dev kit, on the other hand, was what DCDivx was developed with before it was ported over to KOS (used mostly for speed testing).
Background on WinCE loader dev kit:
It was released quite a while ago, before KOS, if I remember right. It allows you to make DC programs using eMedded Visual C (which is free from Microsoft), but requires the DC WinCE libraries from a comercial program (ala Gyplay) for the program to run on the DC. No has released programs made with the kit because of this (the WinCE libraries bring up controversy for some reason).
I think he is referring to the WinCe loader that lets you run PocketPC WinCE programs on the DC. The release was very quiet.

I wanted to try the PocketPC Atari 8-Bit EMU to run on the WinCE loader, but when the direct release of an Atari 8-Bit Emu to the DC came out, there was no need.

I haven't tried it, but I think it will still be interesting because there are lots of PocketPC programs that would be great to have on the DC
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

I think he is referring to the WinCe loader that lets you run PocketPC WinCE programs on the DC.
Nothing like that was ever released.
karter74
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by karter74 »

Yes, there is and its sitting on my comps HD right now.
HOLY CRAP!
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

karter74 wrote:Yes, there is and its sitting on my comps HD right now.
email it to me.
tom61a
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tom61a »

When it came out, some people thought that the WinCE loader was for loading WinCE for Pocket PC/Handheld PC programs, but it's not. The WinCE loader just loads Katana and WinCE programs for Dreamcast, no other platforms.

The dev kit lets you use the same compiler as Pocket PC/Handheld PC to make DC programs, so that's where the confusion is from.
atari_galaga
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by atari_galaga »

anyone know where i can get some wince programs to try this with......or would that be warez?
Fragmaster170
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Fragmaster170 »

I have this as well, never tried it though.

its a dev environment for visual studio.
There was no better than Frag, since the burial of jeesus, I love the mods, thats why I have hundreds of venereal diseases.
atari_galaga
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by atari_galaga »

so does this let you run ce games?
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

from what I gather from this thread, it's a development environment. ie, It will let you program stuff.
ModMan
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by ModMan »

First off this is leaked part of the wince kit.what it is only supposed to do,is boot wince bins. it will not boot any wince bin that is not compiled for the sh4 cpu got it now.it is warez search google.com for it and you will find the site that released it.
the readme with it . is total crap it will not boot any thing it does not support swapping disks so its totaly useless. im surprized no programer here spoke up about it.
tom61a
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tom61a »

ModMan wrote:First off this is leaked part of the wince kit.
That explains the crap strewn everywhere.
it will not boot any wince bin that is not compiled for the sh4 cpu got it now.
They're never going to get it. :( "But what about stuff for SH3, isn't that compatable with SH4?" :roll:
is total crap it will not boot any thing it does not support swapping disks so its totaly useless. im surprized no programer here spoke up about it.
:( I don't count.
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

so has anyone tried it?
I downloaded the eMedded Visual C Tools 3 but it requires Win2K Service pack so i couldnt install it :( cause im using WinME
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm