Police can't find warez groups, but I have their addresses?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Police can't find warez groups, but I have their addresses?

Post by az_bont »

Whilst playing some very old Amiga games the other day (through the wonder that is UAEX of course), I happened to notice something - all the major warez release groups, who incidentally seemed to be mostly British, listed their home addresses on their crack intros, either so that you could buy some hardware from them, or so that you can have a party (:?). One even said, "Come to so-and-so address and meet all your favourite guys from the Amiga release scene". Why didn't anybody just go to one of these addresses and arrest them?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

LMAO.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
Firthy2002
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Firthy2002 »

Oldskool cracktros rule.
"The video game market is troubled..." - |darc|
---
My LiveJournal
---
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

cos the cops are dumbasses
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

I suppose European copyright laws are different than in the US?
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

-Azathoth- wrote:I suppose European copyright laws are different than in the US?
Could very well be - the Amiga never did too good outside of Europe, and Europe has always been very lax on warez. You can still go to Spain on holiday, walk into a supermarker and get a GBA multi-cart. But nowadays they don't go around putting their addresses on stuff (except for Utopia, who put their pictures up :)), but they used to (no IDSA), which makes me wonder why the police don't follow these leads. The IDSA had been trying to prosecute outside of America for a while, but they don't seem to want to go after the easy targets.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

it may be a fake address, so that the cops end up going to a competitors house.
Garmo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Garmo »

Prophet][ wrote:it may be a fake address, so that the cops end up going to a competitors house.
I dunno.. I never got the impression that hacker/warez teams were in malicious competition.
Speeddemon
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Speeddemon »

back then piracy wasnt really a big thing
P|-|33r |\/|3 B147C|-|!!!
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

First of all, they'd only have circumstancial evidence. Those could be anybody's addresses. Besides, to crack something isn't in itself illegal, it's the distribution that's illegal. They'd have to prove that those people had distributed those programs (and as far as I know, for $) to put them in jail anyway, so it's not worth it. In short, the police aren't really after the pirates, only the people who sell what the pirates do. ARR!
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

it would be funny if the cops decided to go to one of these addresses and they ended up barging into McDonalds or something
lim
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lim »

Perhaps cops should continue doing hard work and try to catch real criminals like rapists and murderers. Software piracy?? Get your prioritites straight.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

lim wrote:Software piracy?? Get your prioritites straight.
Professional software (and film / music) piracy funds terrorism and organised crime higher up 'the line'. Same with drug dealing.
lim
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lim »

Here we go....anything can fund terrorism- any kind of cash transfer. White collar crime hurts "the industry" (all industries) more than piracy ever could. And nobody goes after those guys. That piracy link is laughable, there is millions more that can be directly made with the sale of weapons and drugs. Bootleg copies of shenmue funding bin laden :lol:
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
lim wrote:Software piracy?? Get your prioritites straight.
Professional software (and film / music) piracy funds terrorism and organised crime higher up 'the line'. Same with drug dealing.
right. :roll: i guess if i downloaded music from someone on kazaa im funding terrorists. unless you mean a different kind of piracy.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
lim
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lim »

Here you go Nyar, your claim has been substantiated:
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Hey Kids, Don't Warez.
Except for Creedence Clearwater Revival. Pirate them to hell and back.
Fantasy Records stole John Fogerty's hard work and denied him any and all royalties from the sale of CCR albums. In other words John Fogerty doesn't see a dime off of any CCR album you buy. Fuck Fantasy.
No signature.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

apparently some of you don't understand the concept of 'professional piracy' :roll:

Its things like WindowsXP in boxes nearly identical to the original that only an expert could tell the difference to, right down to professionally printed and packaged movies on DVD, CDs, Games etc etc etc.

And YES it IS mostly produced by PROFESSIONAL AND ORGANISED CRIMINALS.

Im not talking about Joe Lamer leeching a stack of ISOs from an FTP somewhere - I AM TALKING ABOUT PROFESSIONAL MEDIA 'PIRATES' - and YES it is WELL KNOWN that a large number of terrorist groups incomes are DERIVED FROM IT as well as from gun running and drug dealing.
lim
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lim »

Sounds like you got the inside track on this Nyar, you should apply to be a juniour special agent dealing exclusively with this rampant and brazen criminal act. You could be like Frankie Muniz
and be out there, stopping this unbelievable and most destructive problem of copying software. You could even start a concerned citizens brigade, ask your local mafioso exactly what he thinks he's doing, copying Windows ME home version, I believe you'll be pleased with his reply.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

DOWNLOADING warez doesn't affect crime! :roll:
However, large organised groups selling CDr'ed copies of PSX, PC and PS2 games at a certain very large and well known market I know of does.

These people are linked to the groups that provide ""tax free"" smokes and you don't think that higher up the foodchain these profits are used for less-than-wholesome purposes?

[edited to remove my annoyance censor bypassing :oops: ]
Last edited by sixteen-bit on Sat May 31, 2003 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.