DC emu on Xbox?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Rocky Balboa
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DC emu on Xbox?

Post by Rocky Balboa »

is there like a dreamcast emu for xbox in development? or is it even possible to make a dc emu for xbox?
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

DC emu on Xbox?

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

Rocky Balboa wrote: is there like a dreamcast emu for xbox in development?
I'm 99.9% sure the answer to that is no, unless Sega are making one.
Rocky Balboa wrote: or is it even possible to make a dc emu for xbox?
It probably is possible, but seeing how there isn't a fully working one for the PC yet it'll be a long time before one appears on the Xbox.

MOVED TO GENERAL EMU
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

I think that the answer is no too. Becase even though DC is older then Xbox it is still pretty powerful, Xbox proably can't run it. Second the only games it could play were warez games. Illigal. Yes, unless Sega is making a attachment for Xbox, I dought it
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
Matt Wilson
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Matt Wilson »

Supposedly there is Dreamcast archetecture included in the X-Box that allows it to play Dreamcast games.

At one point, Sega hinted at it, and then denied it.

Why?

Probably because they want to milk the Dreamcast completely dry first, before announcing it officially.

No, putting a GD-Rom in an X-Box obviously doesn't work. Much like a DVD doesn't work in an X-Box until you install the drivers. Likely, the Dreamcast chip would have drivers as well.
Hawq1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Hawq1 »

The DC chipset in X-Box was confirmed to be nothing more than a rumor over a year ago, Sega denied the chipset was in there because it isn't. This probably all started when the DC PCI card was announced (sadly now long dead) and people started thinking X-Box is just a PC with no keyboard so it must have gone in there, at best it was only ever vapourware though. As the full shemactics of the X-Box are now out there for the public to view if the DC chipset was in there it would have been seen by now (given the amount of gaming mags that have tinkered inside X-Box).
Duty is weightier than a mountain while death is as light as a feather.

For those who get really bored, try to figure out where the line above comes from. Put answers in here http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6188
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Nothing is Impossible

Post by APE »

I wish you people would quit using the word impossible. N64 emulation is impossible, going to the moon is impossible, burning cds is impossible, making backups of Dreamcast games is impossible. Nothing is impossible. With our [b]CURRENT[/b] knowledge its impossible. An emulater could be developed for the Xbox. It has been demostrated that MAME could be ported to the Xbox. Reading GD-Roms is another issue. From what little I understand and I don't know if it's 100% accurate, is that the GD-ROMS are written backwards so u can't read it in a cd or dvd drive and its densely written like a dvd. That might require a little hardware modding or a lot of reverse engineering to figure out how to get the XBox drive to read it but it is [/b]NOT[b] impossible. First people have to crack the way the harddrive works and either make a OS to code for or code directly for the Xbox.[/b]
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

No, GD roms aren't written backwards, they are on a special CD that can hold 1 GB of info. It uses a different density or something. If they were burned backwards then regular CD's couldn't work, or Audio, or warez, or PSX cds in the Dreamcast.
MadGun68
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MadGun68 »

I've heard that too.. But it's not like the disc spins in reverse. More like the data is written/read off the disc from outside->inside instead of the normal inside->outside like most discs.

Might actually be true, but not sure. I bought a used game once, and it only had a little mark on the very outside edge of the disc. Wouldn't boot at all. Had to have a shop fix it.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

But if the info was burned backward then warez games wouldn't work right? Because they have to be burned forwards. Unless they forgot to add the feature not to run a forwarded burned game.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

The Dreamcast will read normal CDs. The Dreamcast reads complied code that is written specifically for the Dreamcast. Now if it will do both why not at the same time. Duh. If you add a small audio track at the beginning and a little handy work you can make the disks self booting. So they will work.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

But if they were burned backwards, then the DC wouldn't know what to do with forward burned code. If it was made for Backward code Discs.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Something you're still not getting through your head is that it odesn't matter if its written from the outside of the disk or the inside, the Dreamcast will still read it. nuff said.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

I know it dosen't matter where it is burned inside or outside, but you said GD-Roms are burned Backwards. If this is true then it wouldn't know what to do with forward burned games. The info is in the wrong place.
tom61
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by tom61 »

nm
volumefx
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by volumefx »

It would take a load of manual labor but there is a way to convert dreamcast games and cd's and such into dvd-rom format. But when I say a load of manual labor, you'd be better off buying a dreamcast and the actual game. Why would you want to play dreamcast on x-box anyway? I hope its not cause you like the controller. :wink:
-Walks and chews gum at the same time.
crucifix
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Nah

Post by crucifix »

Well, the problem is that emulation is software kiddies. It would not be possible to run an emulator for the dreamcast on the Xbox's Intel processor at a decent speed. If Microsoft had slapped some hardware in the Xbox that was similar to a dreamcast, it would be a possible reality. Why would you want to anyway? NVidia's graphic monster on the Xbox for Dreamcast games? Sheesh.
Open Source: When you are paid to create it, suddenly free distribution doesn't seem as enticing.