2 versions of Contra Dc Mamed

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2 versions of Contra Dc Mamed

Post by DcSteve »

As you may know, reaper released an alpha version of contra mame for dc recently. However, hyperG already released a final beta of this emu close to one year ago. You can download that verion at http://www.geocities.com/dcsteve2000/. The only difference so far is the fancy menu's.
IMRtech
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Re: 2 versions of Contra Dc Mamed

Post by IMRtech »

DcSteve wrote:As you may know, reaper released an alpha version of contra mame for dc recently. However, hyperG already released a final beta of this emu close to one year ago. You can download that verion at http://www.geocities.com/dcsteve2000/. The only difference so far is the fancy menu's.
Nothing against HyperG personally,but I just tryed his version of Contra, and heres what I found:

1. The sound DOES NOT work properly, it doesnt even sound like the game.
2. The game IS NOT full screen.
3. Its about 50% slower with sound on, compared to the new release from reaper.
4. The sound code has been in development with Warmtoe and reaper since before Christmas, and the code was never available to HyperG. The sound exibited in HyperGs Contra release, is the same problem in as MAMED.
5. The Anti-alias mode instituted in reapers release is also not available in HyperGs release, nor is the screen flipping, and differently mapped buttons.
I was wondering as well, where would the animated loading screen and the VMU graphics be?

So by saying "The only difference so far is the fancy menus" is way off. Try the both of them BEFORE you type things that just are not right.

HyperGs release was great for the time, but there is MUCH improvement in reapers release.

IMR
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

that may be true, but the version on the website i posted is only the download for the first beta. There were 3 of em, and 2 of em are lost in dcemu's archives. The last beta, which isnt on that site, has support for button mapping. Has Vmu Saving and such. Has Full screen anti-aliasing. And has perfect n'sync sound. You just described the first beta.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

First you state
DcSteve wrote:However, hyperG already released a final beta of this emu close to one year ago. You can download that version at http://www.geocities.com/dcsteve2000/.
Then you state
DcSteve wrote:but the version on the website i posted is only the download for the first beta.
It's hard to compare quality to an emulator that isn't available.

Why start a topic, bash someone's release, and praise a release that can't be downloaded.

Get rid of your rediculous hate towards reaper, and admit that his version is the best version currently available.
IMRtech
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by IMRtech »

DcSteve wrote:that may be true, but the version on the website i posted is only the download for the first beta. There were 3 of em, and 2 of em are lost in dcemu's archives. The last beta, which isnt on that site, has support for button mapping. Has Vmu Saving and such. Has Full screen anti-aliasing. And has perfect n'sync sound. You just described the first beta.
Firstly, you should have explained that the link you provided was to the beta of HyperGs release and not the final version, secondly, why is there not a link to the last beta?
If I was HyperG, I would be a little distraught at the fact that I put in all that work for it to "get lost in dcemu's archives".
If you have a copy of the final release, I would be very interested in playing it. I have searched through google and nothing came up.

I must state again (as it is on reapers site) that the contra is an alpha release, released by request.

IMR
NightsFTP?
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by NightsFTP? »

hey IMR i just went to your forums and i didnt see ANY request for contra in the request forum.
polochon
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by polochon »

check on this forum, it's a very big topic ;)
Le site sur l'?mulation dreamcast en fran?ais c'est http://www.dcreload.fr.st

oggy aka polochon ;)
IMRtech
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by IMRtech »

NightsFTP? wrote:hey IMR i just went to your forums and i didnt see ANY request for contra in the request forum.
Hi NightsFTP?,

Thank-you for visiting the forums. The request is here, the member being FlashPV ( he will get his name in lights on another game he's requested) as well as a private request via email. The post was on 4/11/03, but why am I having to do all this? lol

IMR
NightsFTP?
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by NightsFTP? »

on your page it says eric requested it
IMRtech
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by IMRtech »

NightsFTP? wrote:on your page it says eric requested it
mmmmhmmm.. that would be the writer of the email. Thanks for the observations.

reaper hopes that everyone enjoys the release. More to come over the holidays, then he will be going back to SDL homebrew development! TTFN!

IMR
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

also i said, its lost in the dcemu archives, that would be a good place to look for it! Specifically, the news post archives. You are correct that i said final beta on the site, it is really only the first beta and my mistake for saying that.
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

I like the menus. I wish the game wasn't fullscreen though I'd think i't look better with correct ratios. Or maybe i'm wrong.
HyperG
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by HyperG »

I'm not complaining what so ever ... props to Reaper for releasing an improved release. The lil compile of Contra from a long time ago was just resolution changes, that's all, didn't do anything other then that.
If you think typing 'make' is hard, forget coding.
If you can't figure out the commands to DC-Tool, forget coding.
If you think coding is as easy as typing printf("Hello World\n"); , shoot yourself.