Run program from VMU on DreamCast

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
ValeraK
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ValeraK »

1. On PC making programm file
2. Save this file on VMU (over PC2VMU)
3. Connect VMU to DreamCast
4. Insert CD with loader from VMU
5. Select file and RUN ! (without program cabel)

Good idea ?
Needed CD-Image with "Loader", making pls ...
sorry my bad english ...
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

Interesting. You could sort of accomplish this with KOS as it has the vmufs. You'd be limited to really small programs (at least from a data perspective)...

Neat idea for people without a serial cable though....
LiENUX
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by LiENUX »

mhillmer
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by mhillmer »

Heh, replying to a fairly old message, but I still haven't seen a good answer to this.

Why is it so very difficult to get a file from a PC to the VMU? I've seen everything from use a Nexus card (ok, great, but no interface, so you can't play minigames very well) to download with your Dreamcast (ok, what if I have no Internet access on my DC?).

Why hasn't someone made a simple program for the DC that I can burn onto a CD and boot up and copy VMU saves or minigames from CD to VMU? Obviously, it is well known how to save to the VMU - hence the number of freeware games and emulators with VMU save options.

So why haven't I seen this anywhere? Have I simply missed it, does no one care anymore, or is it just too difficult?

Thanks,
-M.
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

It's not that bad, part of it was just KOS getting the underlying requirements built out. I've been working on a prog to do this (it will already fully image a VMU, but single save support is to come...)

Part of it is also just making a clean UI to do this....
"This is worse than when the Raccoon got in the copier!"