The DC hombrew scene

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The DC hombrew scene

Post by qatmix »

I?ve been around the DC homebrew scene since it started. Over that time I?ve seen it change from a few clever individuals doing something exciting, to a scene that has grown with a wide range of contributors and characters.

I?m very sad when looking at the state of the recent reaper 2K incident, I have noticed a steady decline in the forums on DCemulation. Obviously there are a great deal of people who will help others and people who want to contribute. However there is an increasing amount of people who are acting as if they know it all, when in all reality they don?t.

What was the point of people whining about the GPL licence for projects that are not fully finished? Things are released as betas for people to see the development. I cannot stand all of the bickering and flaming that is happening on this board. It is quite pathetic. Reaper has left the scene, but he isn?t the first, there are several coders that are annoyed with some of the drivel that is posted. What benefit has that given the scene? What good does the flaming do?

The Dreamcast is dead, the only way it the scene will survive is for people to co-operate and to contribute and for others to assist. The Amiga proved that great software can continue to be released long after a machine is dead. That?s because it was a mature and helpful community.

The survival of the dc scene is partly in the hands of all of the members of this board, that includes the Mods. At the moment it looks like its going down the pan as its changing from a fun scene to a sad pedantic bickering mess.

I?m going to be sad to see the DC die but frankly if the scene keeps going the way it is currently heading, then good riddance to it.

I?m currently working on a project, and have contributed towards another, and intend to stay in the scene and contributing to the forums for the near future, but I?m sure there are many like myself that hope that the scene can focus on being helpful and constructive and not fall further into the immature squabbling that is starting to prevail.

Thanks,
Q
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

i actually agree with what you say, and really its sometimes best to keep away from forums or go to another site.

One thing you or anyone should remember is that just because a few whiners moan about it, most people enjoy and totally appreciatte all work done for next to no reward.

The dc scene will not die though, no damn way ;)

big things are still to come
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

There's always a few who ruin it for the majority. That's just the way it always happens, no matter where you are.
law
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by law »

well, im no coder or devler, but i try much that is released here and sometimes try to give feedback, and i know there are many others like me who are eager to se what the future brings. And for sure my dreamcast won?t starve while this site remains =)
ImageImage
Tangent
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Tangent »

Hey now, that's not really fair to the rest of us still trying to make a difference. I'll be glad when this shit gets put behind us and we can concentrate on the games again.

What a fucktard.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Re: The DC hombrew scene

Post by toastman »

qatmix wrote: I?m very sad when looking at the state of the recent reaper 2K incident, I have noticed a steady decline in the forums on DCemulation. Obviously there are a great deal of people who will help others and people who want to contribute. However there is an increasing amount of people who are acting as if they know it all, when in all reality they don?t.

What was the point of people whining about the GPL licence for projects that are not fully finished? Things are released as betas for people to see the development. I cannot stand all of the bickering and flaming that is happening on this board. It is quite pathetic. Reaper has left the scene, but he isn?t the first, there are several coders that are annoyed with some of the drivel that is posted. What benefit has that given the scene? What good does the flaming do?
And what is sad is when someone uses the GPL to steal code, release binaries with marginal changes, and refuses to share the source in the spirit of the GPL. Someone who does that pisses on those wishing to see the code, the GPL itself, and the original authors. They are ultimately no better than warez monkeys. Reaper was never flamed for not giving out the source, we only explained to him his obligation.
Moral of the story: If you use GPL code be prepared to release source along with your binary regardless of the condition of your code.
No signature.
DoomDan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DoomDan »

damn i wish i was a coder so i could work on a genesis emulator as the scene desperately needs one. also, im glad the dreamsnes team didnt join the message board cause they would probably be questioned 24/7 on y it is slow. they would probably quit on dreamsnes n leave the scene n that wouldnt be good.
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

I think they did join. The DreamSNES forum is the official forum.
You don't work, you don't eat.
You don't grind, you shine.
-Mike Jones

281-330-8004, when someone picks up, ask for Mike Jones!

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

im glad the dreamsnes team didnt join the message board
They did..
DoomDan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DoomDan »

o, i didnt kno. then who r they?
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

DoomDan wrote:o, i didnt kno. then who r they?
I'd rather not say.. So that what you said doesn't happen to them ;)
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Though if you crawl through the DreamSNES forum for long enough the answers will present themselves.
No signature.
DoomDan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DoomDan »

ZacMc wrote:
DoomDan wrote:o, i didnt kno. then who r they?
I'd rather not say.. So that what you said doesn't happen to them ;)
o yea ur right
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

What happened in the reaper situation is sad, however those asking about/referring to the GPL on the source code reaper used were totally right. I personally (as someone trying to learn) might not have asked him for source code immediately after the release of the emulator/game in question (although I believe the request was actually for the MAME source anyway, which he put out a while ago) but an experienced coder asking him is another question. I the spirit of the GPL, he should have taken that as a compliment, like somebody saying, "Hey, that's cool. Let me see how you did that," but instead he blew up, and continued to blow up for, what was it, 5 pages? I'm not saying reaper is a bad guy or anything, because he used to help people all the time with things. I'm just saying that in this case, he was wrong and made some poor choices. First, he took toastman's request for the MAME source in completely the wrong way. I'm not toastman, so I don't know the reasons behind his request but since he's on the dev forums I have to assume he wanted to look at the code as an interested coder. So, what's the big deal e-mailing him the source code? It takes what, all of 30 seconds to type in "Here's the source code you asked for." into an e-mail and attatch the source code. Easy, you saitisfy the request, you're in compliance with the GPL, and you maybe helped out another coder. The second bad choice he made was wiping out the ftp, for a couple of reasons. One, it got him banned, so he can't come back to the forums now even if he cools off and changes his mind, or even to gracefully appologize for his foolish antics. Two, it's just a reall bad way to leave. Certainly not what I would want to be remembered for, and certainly something for which there is no defending him on.

All that being said, I'm sorry to see reaper go. He is a talented coder and did contribute a lot. It's just a shame that he chose to go out the way he did, because it now taints everything he did before. And while it's sad to see such an active developer leave, this does not spell the end of DCEmulation or Homebrew. There are plenty of other active and talented coders around and new ones are sure to surface, and I still see great things in the future!
zektor
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by zektor »

Welp, Reaper's site is back up under a different software developing name. Who knows what the future brings. Only one little thing bugs me a little (and this is in no way a shot at Reaper) but am I the only one that notices a difference in the posts worded here and the updates worded on his site? The posts here didn't contain commas, and kind of were all meshed together, while update news posted by him on his site is clear and worded correctly. Maybe just me...oh well...
http://csdb.dk/scener/?id=3455 - Me (circa 1991), Dice/NTT!
Tangent
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Tangent »

And it appears that reaper has returned!

I thought you had left forever man! What happened?

This should be interesting. . .
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

Tangent wrote:And it appears that reaper has returned!

I thought you had left forever man! What happened?

This should be interesting. . .

The plot thickens.....

Oh by the way Tangent was referring to a post from an account with a name made up of random characters, the post of which has been removed.
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
Bluce_Ree
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bluce_Ree »

Could this be any more annoying?

At least it's kind of funny.
RIP Richard Pryor
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Reaper came back, because reaper needs the spotlight.

World to Reaper: This is the 16th minute.
No signature.
EvilSporkMan
God Of All Things Sporkish
God Of All Things Sporkish

Post by EvilSporkMan »

My money says that Reaper didn't want the world to know that his code is about as "grammatically correct" as his writing.
You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.