Half-Life Dreamcast: Moddable?

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
BlazeHedgehog
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Half-Life Dreamcast: Moddable?

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I'm sure as many know, recently an ISO of Half-Life for the Dreamcast (previously unreleased by Sierra) has leaked it's way on to the internet.

I was wondering if anybody has gotten any mods to load -- I'd keep trying but I don't have CDRs to spare. I tried putting They Hunger on it and it said "couldn't load gfx/palette.lmp" -- I assume there's an even longer list of what it can/cannot load, but as I said I don't have enough CDRs to go through and make sure everything loads properly.

I chose "They Hunger" because it's a relatively old mod that hasn't been updated in awhile -- therefore it should work on HLDC (unlike newer mods which might require parts from update patches that HLDC doesn't support).

Edit:

I might try ONE MORE thing, but I've wasted _a lot_ of CDRs this week (two CDRs total -- the one just now for They Hunger and one previously for Selfboot Inducer for a bunch of emulators - I only have 4 CDRs left, give or take) -- and at most I won't try again until I'm absolutely ready to. (Which might be a couple days -- I have a theory but it requires a _lot_ of file extraction)

If anybody else wants to try to get mods to load, it's really easy:

- Take HLDC. Copy the contents of the CD to the HDD.
- Copy all the files required for your Mod into the VALVE folder of where you copied HLDC
- Burn the files you just copied to your HDD (of HLDC)
- Use a bootdisc to get your freshly burned copy of HLDC to load

Things you can try to get mods to work:

- Every extra WAD/PAK file for the Mod needs to be extracted to folders -- so they're not in their wad/pak files anymore. This poses a problem because it might make the game too big to burn

- Use a HL WAD/PAK editor to manually edit in all the files for said Mods, but still keeping all the files HLDC requires to run -- IE all the graphics for the menus, etc. (Just overwrite the maps, weapon models, enemies and scripts) - This unfortunately is not entirely user-friendly.

- Don't try to overwrite everything in the VALVE folder, instead, overwrite everything in the BARNEY (BlueShift) folder.

I'll be trying options 1 and 3 later myself, but if any of you wanna give it a spin, do so.

Btw- I don't think this is really against the rules, is it? I'm not asking for any warez links or anything, I'm just discussing how to mod Half-Life for the Dreamcast - no different than trying to get that old Dreamcast SmashPak thing to load other Genesis ROMs, or trying to get QuakeDC to load mods, right?
Last edited by BlazeHedgehog on Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
To live a life of power, you must have faith in what you believe is right. The first thing you must do is find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of time itself. And to do that, all you must do is take the first step...
BlazeHedgehog
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Whoops, just saw that this probably would go better in the DC FPS forum, my apologies.
To live a life of power, you must have faith in what you believe is right. The first thing you must do is find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of time itself. And to do that, all you must do is take the first step...
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones »

Why would you want to mod perfection :-) ive been playing for a few days and wow! so glad i didnt get it while it was big on the PC, i was into Jedi knight back then...
Dust on the Dreamcast
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I never played the DC version, but I seriously doubt the DC version is better then the PC version.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Darkwing
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Darkwing »

THE dc version is not even two players, so maybe that is something that one would like to mod, in addtion to other stuff.
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones »

THE dc version is not even two players
is the PC version? i know its netplay but split screen half life? i just dont see it..
Dust on the Dreamcast
BlazeHedgehog
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Actually I think there might be splitscreen in HLDC... I'm not entirely sure. If you dig around in the files, there's a txt file that contains mapnames for the multiplayer maps that come packed with half-life, it's named something like "map_cycle.txt"
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones »

where are you getting this info from??
Dust on the Dreamcast
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Half-Life Dreamcast: Moddable?

Post by BlackAura »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:Btw- I don't think this is really against the rules, is it? I'm not asking for any warez links or anything, I'm just discussing how to mod Half-Life for the Dreamcast - no different than trying to get that old Dreamcast SmashPak thing to load other Genesis ROMs, or trying to get QuakeDC to load mods, right?
I think it's against the rules. For one, we shouldn't have this game. It's a leaked beta and, unless you're a beta tester, you should not have a copy of it in your posession.

Secondly, it's a backup (or warez, if you like) copy, and we aren't allowed to discuss those here.

Thirdly, modifying the SmashPack to load other Genesis ROMs is illegal, or at least agains forum rules, because it's a backup and a hack of commercial software.

We can't discuss how to modify this here, nor can we discuss how to modify the Dreamcast versions of Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament.

Modifying QuakeDC is a different matter - we're using our own data files anyway, and the Quake source code was released under the GPL (the GNU General Public Licence), which means that Quake engine mods (like QuakeDC) are freeley distributable, and you can do what you like with them. However, Half Life was never released under the GPL, nor was it officially released at all, so you can't do what you like with it.

TOPIC LOCKED - Warez Discussion