Windowz xp sux! cant install nero or DJ, need some help

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Gaud
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Windowz xp sux! cant install nero or DJ, need some help

Post by Gaud »

ok here it be. i dont have any administration rights on my dads comp. the only thing i can burn is isos and the only software i can run is around every 1 in 10 programs. all i really need is an iso, not nero or dj, of the boot cd. ive searched for days with nuthing to show and i would be extreemly greatfull if some one could send me an iso of it. thanx in advanced.

bob_the_dude@softhome.net[/url]
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

get your dad to install nero for you.
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

"Ok here it be."?

Nevermind....
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
Gaud
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

cant

Post by Gaud »

my dad wont let me install anything plus you cant run nero out of administrator mode.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

What programs can you actually run? As far as I know, there is no ISO version of the boot disc, because most programs that burn ISOs won't do it in the right way for it to be bootable on a Dreamcast.
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

Well, heres how you get around this problem: The next time your dad "logs in" simply talk to him while watching what keys he presses, this way you will attain his password without him knowing, then simply install NERO, give yourself the permissions you need to run it. problem solved.

although i would say whats even easier is to just boot up with a boot disk, format the HD and install Windows 98 SE or ME.
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Or install Windows XP, create an Admin account for yourself, and a user account for your Dad.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

What, is your dad like mine and thinks you couldn't possibly know enough about computers to use one without breaking it? Man, back in the day when he got his "new" (IBM surplus) 486 machine with Windows 3.1, we weren't allowed to use it without him standing right over our shoulders. We could use my mom's computer, under DOS with some thing that was a rip-off of Mac/Windows look, but worked like crap and would only launch DOS programs.

What you need to do is convince your dad that he should get you a computer with a CD-RW drive.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It'd probably be possible to create a boot disc that contained a Linux kernel and just enough functionality to read an ISO image from your hard drive, and burn it to a CD using cdrecord. But that's be a pain in the neck without a working Linux system, and knowledge of how to do it. But WinXP would happily let you do it, because it wouldn't have any say in the matter.

If you could find a program that could shrink a Windows XP partition without having to go through Windows first, you could shrink the main WinXP drive a little, and install Windows 98 or similar, and run that instead of Windows XP.

Basically, they key to doing it would be to somehow bypass Windows XP entirely. But that's not an easy thing to do if it's the only OS on the machine.

I also found a program that'll convert CDI (DiscJuggler) images to ISO images. It's called CDIRip and it's available from this site. I don't think it's a Warez site in any way, so it should be safe to link to.
Speeddemon
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Speeddemon »

you COUld get A non-bootable boot disk rofl :lol:
P|-|33r |\/|3 B147C|-|!!!
Gaud
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

hackin in

Post by Gaud »

well despite my efforts of peekin at the password i cant get it. i like the idea of reinstallin windows and switchin administrator with my dad but hes not as dumb as i would hope. the linux thing might work but last time i tried somthing like that the comp crashed and i couldnt start up.
thanx to who ever put up the link to that converter it should work i hope. ill try it tonight. thanx everyone.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It might be a pain in the neck to burn, though. It'll create two sessions, probably. There's two ways of burning it, and I really don't know which will work properly.

The first way is to burn the first session as CD-ROM XA multisession, and then burn the second session as CD-ROM XA. That'll work if the image is in data/data format, which it probably isn't.

The other way is to burn the first session as multisession audio, and then burn the second session as CD-ROM XA. Which still might not work, because the second session (which is data) might not be in the right place on the disc, and it might not be readable.