DC not playing some games ?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
RevenantUK
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DC not playing some games ?

Post by RevenantUK »

Strange problem here. I have a DC that plays all the games that I have. When I loaned some to a friend over the road, he couldn't play some of them.

Is there 2 revisions of the DC that can cause this and is there a way around it ?
1 Game in question is MSR and another is a flight game where you can fly a dolphin :)
His has the resetting problem too but mine hasn't yet they are almost the same age.

Can anyone shed some light on this ?

Thanx in advance
Rev
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Are they by any chance backups? We don't have many non-CDR playing DCs in the UK, if any, but that would definately explain the problem. If not, your mate's DC could just be at the end of it's life - the Dreamcast seems to break down more than any other console I've come into contact with.

You could try asking the guys in Hardware for a solution, but it would involve opening up your mate's DC.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
RevenantUK
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by RevenantUK »

Thanks for the info. Not backup's at all anyway.
I'll check with the hardware guys now.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Older Dreamcasts a lot of times seem to read better then Newer DC's. My friend has a 1999 August Dreamcast and mine was a October 2000 DC. His could run a copy of a copy of a DC cd, but mine wouldn't run it. There was some changes made in how the GD-Rom read things at some point. Perhaps your disc is scratched and yours is more capable of reading it then his is? Just a guess.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

It could be that your friend's DC has a misaligned laser. This would make it so that the DC can only play certain densitys of games. Most games are of 2 densities, that of a normal CD (<700megs) or high density GD-ROMs(700-1300megs). Try playing burned games and look up information about misaligned lasers, there are ways to fix it.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man