DC Linux question.

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
JoeBob
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DC Linux question.

Post by JoeBob »

Well, I recentry finished reading the o'reily book on programming linux device drivers and have fooled around with drivers for homemade hardware and all, but I thought maybe I should geta project with a point going. So my question is, do you know of anyone currently working on a sound driver for the DC's sound system for the SH4 port of linux? I haven't researched anything on it yet, the idea just hit me and was wondering if anyone had started such a thing yet?
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

I don't think it's been tried yet..... Just realize the sound chip in the DC is not the best by any strech of the imagination and may take some fiddling....
User815
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by User815 »

Someone is working on a sound driver for dreamcast linux. You can follow his progress on the linuxdc mailing list (archived at http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/7848/). He seems to have been working on it time permitting since the end of October. Recently it was just a dummy OSS placeholder, but it seems now it will be ready any day. I bet he would appreciate your help since it will probably take a while to "perfect" it.
JoeBob
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by JoeBob »

Well, I was just looking for something to work on on my own, but maybe I'll check out what he's done so far... Or maybe I could find some other hardware to write a driver for, but there really isn't much left asside from the PowerVR 2 chip... hmmm... A native Xserver would be much easier then a GL implementation :)
User815
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by User815 »

Or maybe I could find some other hardware to write a driver for, but there really isn't much left ....
How about a driver for the seaman microphone?

;)
mantis
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by mantis »

Hey Joebob how have your linuxdc adventures been? have you got a lot of things working?
--mantis