ROTT source released

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

ROTT source released

Post by Hawq »

Good news everyone, the source code for the 3D Realms classic Rise of the Triad is now out GPL'ld. Heres the announcement:
'Today we're doing something I bet most everyone out there thought we'd never do. No, it's not Duke Nukem Forever, but something some folks on the net have been asking us to do for ages. Today we're releasing the source code to Rise of the Triad! The source is being released under the GPL license, and we still retain copyright on the game (plus we still sell Rise of the Triad), but folks have been asking for something like this for a long time, and here it is.

We are dedicating the release of the Rise of the Triad Source code to our late friend and Rise of the Triad programmer William Scarboro, who died tragically back in early August of 2002. I'm sure if he were still with us, William would be happy to see this out there, and see what folks might do with the code.

In the archive are some thoughts about Rise of the Triad by Tom Hall (the game's producer), and Scott Miller (Apogee/3DR CEO/Founder). You can check out the readme here before downloading the entire archive. In addition to this file, we have several other ROTT related downlods available - check out our ROTT page for the full list.

The folks reading this who aren't programmers probably won't have any interest in this, but those who are programmers might want to check it out.' You can download the file (which is roughly 4Mb zipped) here and of course you can find more info here fingers crossed someone out there with skill likes this one.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
WhtCastle
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by WhtCastle »

No, no please don't shoot, please!
/WhtCastle
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

mmmmmmk >>>
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
deminisma
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Yes!

Post by deminisma »

This is one of my favourite games of all time! I used to play it for hours on end. Someone, please, please be porting it. Stunning game.
EverStoned
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Re: ROTT source released

Post by EverStoned »

Hawq wrote:Good news everyone, the source code for the 3D Realms classic Rise of the Triad is now out GPL'ld. Heres the announcement:
'Today we're doing something I bet most everyone out there thought we'd never do. No, it's not Duke Nukem Forever, but something some folks on the net have been asking us to do for ages. Today we're releasing the source code to Rise of the Triad! The source is being released under the GPL license, and we still retain copyright on the game (plus we still sell Rise of the Triad), but folks have been asking for something like this for a long time, and here it is.

We are dedicating the release of the Rise of the Triad Source code to our late friend and Rise of the Triad programmer William Scarboro, who died tragically back in early August of 2002. I'm sure if he were still with us, William would be happy to see this out there, and see what folks might do with the code.

In the archive are some thoughts about Rise of the Triad by Tom Hall (the game's producer), and Scott Miller (Apogee/3DR CEO/Founder). You can check out the readme here before downloading the entire archive. In addition to this file, we have several other ROTT related downlods available - check out our ROTT page for the full list.

The folks reading this who aren't programmers probably won't have any interest in this, but those who are programmers might want to check it out.' You can download the file (which is roughly 4Mb zipped) here and of course you can find more info here fingers crossed someone out there with skill likes this one.
You son-bitch! I was gonna tell everyone aboot this! Damn you other Slashdot reader!
Agent21KGB
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Agent21KGB »

Hell i plan on playing the game this Christmas Eve due to the specail holiday stuff.
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by MetalGearRay »

Ah $hit! I threw out the old floppies a few months back! :x
mmnpsrsoskl
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by mmnpsrsoskl »

Now someone should make a DC port :mrgreen:
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I used to love this game...
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Re: ROTT source released

Post by Hawq »

EverStoned wrote:
Hawq wrote:Good news everyone, the source code for the 3D Realms classic Rise of the Triad is now out GPL'ld. Heres the announcement:

You son-bitch! I was gonna tell everyone aboot this! Damn you other Slashdot reader!
Actually I read it a Retrogames, never been to Slashdot.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

BlackAura wrote:I used to love this game...
does that mean you dont any more .lets face it your the only one that could port it with the qualty of say nxdoom..

points his the man when it comes to porting these games " BlackAura"( is )
|

yodanut
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by yodanut »

reaper2k2 wrote:
BlackAura wrote:I used to love this game...
does that mean you dont any more .lets face it your the only one that could port it with the qualty of say nxdoom..

points his the man when it comes to porting these games " BlackAura"( is )
|
Maybe BlackAura was giving us a hint... :) While I'd love to see another cool DC port, I'd rather he didn't spread himself too thin. I'm looking forward to all the nxDoom improvements and nxQuake release, and if this would delay him I'd rather it just lay on the back burner for a while.
Metroid Evolution
Helping evolve the Metroid series.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

WhtCastle wrote:No, no please don't shoot, please!
OK

*turns around and walks away*
*gets shot in the back by WhtCastle*

Yeah, this game was great even though I only had the shareware version. Gotta track it down on eBay someday.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I used to play this game to death either. That robot boss was the hardest FPS boss I ever fought.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I don't even know if I could port it, because it looks like it uses an assembler-based rendering engine (ouch!) and a load of DOS-specific system calls (double-ouch) and Watcom C extensions (triple-ouch!). Getting it to compile for Windows would probably be a strugle, let alone the DC. Anyway, I'm already working on enough stuff right now. If anyone converts it to straight C (like for a Linux port) then I might give it a shot.
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

sounds very ouchy B A i cant port it even if it was straight C yet so even thats ouchy for me but im having a lot of progress on mame right at this moment

if you cant do it no one can some one can ask me to do it in about 5 years i think

im far to behind to port any think if i could i would at the moment i dont have the skill for a project like that so 2 of us down any one else ? :wink:

XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

That's crazy, hopefully someone will work with this on the PC atleast, and get the controls adjusted a bit, I always despised games where you press a button to look up, and one to look down, always wondered why they did not just try for freelook in the first place.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

XDelusion wrote:That's crazy, hopefully someone will work with this on the PC atleast, and get the controls adjusted a bit, I always despised games where you press a button to look up, and one to look down, always wondered why they did not just try for freelook in the first place.
I think it autoaims like Doom did. Back in the old days of FPSers you didn't need to look up and down.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Rise Of The Triad? I thought it was Sega's "Rouse Of The Ted".
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
ZZ_TOPPER_X
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ZZ_TOPPER_X »

Yay... ROTT. I'm all warm and fuzzy inside...
As soon as someone makes a nifty multiplayer server thingamabob, I'm in. I've NEVER played MP in that game (first game to use rocket jump, and CTF :P ).

"Eat lead!" "Here, catch!"

I still want Tom Hall & the other D.I.P.'s (Developers of Incredible Power) to reunite and make ROTT 2.

Then they should rerelease ROTT 1 for the GBA. With MP of course.

BTW, could it be possible to make a DC port of a FPS with split-screen thrown in? It's been done with Doom Legacy for PC.