Help! GypPlay dont work!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Denis2k
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help! GypPlay dont work!

Post by Denis2k »

Hello!

I use linux to burn DC selfboot cds.
I use "scramble" utility on 1st_read.bin from GypPlay Lik Sang Edition and then used simple script from linux dc to burn all gypplay and mpeg files on CD in two sessions (as DCLinux)
After that i have such CD: 1st session - 4 sec audio (as DCLinux)
2nd session:
root directory (all GypPlay files)
wince directory
vids directory with *.mpg files

When i insert this CD into DC - it's hangs at Sega copyright logo....

Please, how to make it selfboot via Linux?
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

The 1st_read.bin should already be scrambled, no need to do it again. Double scrambling makes programs not load.

Also, keep in mind that Gypplay will hang for a few more seconds at the sega logo screen than your are used to.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

I, too, have much experience burning coasters instead of self-booting GypPlay discs. What I finally learned is that there is one or two minor things in the burning process for wince apps that is different from most homebrew stuff. I can't think off the top of my head right now what they are, but I think it has to do with binhack or something. If you can use the kamui self-boot kit, that is what I have used for GypPlay with good success. Nothing else really seemed to work for me, and that one is easier to use than typing "cdrecord -dev=1,0,0 -multi -audio..." every time you want to burn a disc. Once you have it set up it's pretty simple as long as you remember what you're typing in the first line. I forget where I got it. Either CV or Boob. If nothing else, you can read the file as text and see what it's doing different.

I finally got sick of typing alltogether and wrote a batch file that will self-boot GypPlay by double-clicking the file in Windows that I might try to get put up somewhere soon. Just want to make sure it works the way I intended before I give it to people use it, because I haven't used it or GypPlay in a while.
Denis2k
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Denis2k »

Thank you, guys, for answering!

fatheadpi:
Yes, i also tryed to burn it (1st_read.bin) in original form (as comes in archive) - i.e. without scrambling, but such CD makes console to reboot every time the SEGA logo appears.

OneThirty8:

Seems that this way requires usage of Win32, so there is now way to make selfboot GypPlay CD in linux ;((((((
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

There has to be a way to make a selfbooting disc with linux, just instead of using a MS-DOS batch file, you would have to manually do each step.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Ok, here's how to selfboot GypPlay. This assumes you know what you're doing with making other selfboots and you have the needed tools, which it sounds like you do. The main difference is that you're binhacking WITHOUT using your msinfo. Hopefully this helps you out. If not, I can send you my batch file as text to look at so you can see exactly what's being done in which order.

1) Burn your first audio session

2) Binhack - you need to tell it "1st_read.bin" as the binary and "ip.bin" as the bootsector, but no msinfo numbers.

3) put your 1st_read.bin back into the folder with GypPlay and copy your ip.bin there.

4) make your disc image of your GypPlay directory with your msinfo numbers.

5) inject the ip.bin into your iso.

6) burn your second session.

7) if it worked, go watch your movie.
Denis2k
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Denis2k »

OneThirty8 wrote:Ok, here's how to selfboot GypPlay. This assumes you know what you're doing with making other selfboots and you have the needed tools, which it sounds like you do. The main difference is that you're binhacking WITHOUT using your msinfo. Hopefully this helps you out. If not, I can send you my batch file as text to look at so you can see exactly what's being done in which order.

1) Burn your first audio session

2) Binhack - you need to tell it "1st_read.bin" as the binary and "ip.bin" as the bootsector, but no msinfo numbers.

3) put your 1st_read.bin back into the folder with GypPlay and copy your ip.bin there.

4) make your disc image of your GypPlay directory with your msinfo numbers.

5) inject the ip.bin into your iso.

6) burn your second session.

7) if it worked, go watch your movie.
Thank you, OneThirty8!
I used win32 console to do it - and it works! Seems that, really, only IP.BIN need to be patched by binhack.exe (i.e. 1st_read.bin was unmodified). But, does binhack exists for *nix? Of course it can be run in dosemu - but it's not so good.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

just burn it nonself boot if you cant get a self booting one to work.
Onizuka-sensei
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Onizuka-sensei »

I burned it non selfboot (simply all the files onto a normal VCD) but after swapping discs after the Utopia is loaded, nothing happens.
If I could choose between an X-Box and an Atari 130 XE... Which one would I take... ?