Why does Unreal Chapionship....

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Why does Unreal Chapionship....

Post by Cless »

Look horriable when xbox has so much power. I mean it looks like the Dreamcast version of Unreal Tournament. I dont understand why it looks so bad.
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by MetalGearRay »

Look out everyone! Snape has let a troll in again!
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Probably a direct PC port, which is basically what the DC version was right?

I bet the PC and DC version is quite abit cheaper though.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
zickfun
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by zickfun »

Is Unreal Championship, Unreal Tournament in disguise :o Why didn't they name it Tournament?
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by MetalGearRay »

zickfun wrote:Is Unreal Championship, Unreal Tournament in disguise :o Why didn't they name it Tournament?
Unreal Championship is Unreal Tournament 2003 with added bonuses and extras, and Xbox Live support. If I had an Xbox, I would definitely get this game.
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

MetalGearRay wrote:
zickfun wrote:Is Unreal Championship, Unreal Tournament in disguise :o Why didn't they name it Tournament?
Unreal Championship is Unreal Tournament 2003 with added bonuses and extras, and Xbox Live support. If I had an Xbox, I would definitely get this game.
Why not just play 2k3 like the millions of other gamers? The xbox port has really bad graphics for some odd reason.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

By all accounts that I have read, it is a good game, but it just does not compare to the PC counterpart. What is an Xbox? It is pretty much a console that is equivalent to a top of the line hardcore gamers computer from 2000 perhaps. Well, we are at the doorstep of 2003. Although the Xbox is the most powerful thing on the block, there will still be times in gaming where the discrepancies between console and pc will become more apparent, and this is just one such example.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Unreal Championship is quite decent actually. What pisses me off about it though, is the slowdown that keeps happening - if they didnt have Antialiasing on it, it'd probably run at a constant 60FPS.

Other than the slowdown, the game is really good. I cant play it on Xbox Live as it hasnt launched in the UK yet (I can get to the page where I gotta put a subscription number in...).
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Sultan of Saturn wrote:By all accounts that I have read, it is a good game, but it just does not compare to the PC counterpart. What is an Xbox? It is pretty much a console that is equivalent to a top of the line hardcore gamers computer from 2000 perhaps. Well, we are at the doorstep of 2003. Although the Xbox is the most powerful thing on the block, there will still be times in gaming where the discrepancies between console and pc will become more apparent, and this is just one such example.
If they can't get Unreal Tournament right on Xbox what is going to happen when they try to port Doom 3?
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I think it uses an older version of the UT2K3 engine, and cut-down versions of it's levels. I prefer UT2K3 over Unreal Championship, and not just because I don't have an Xbox.

Personally, I think that the Xbox could not possibly run Doom 3 as-is. It needs a GeForce 4 level graphics card to work at a decent speed, and the Xbox graphics system is derived from a GeForce 3 (nForce chipset). It might work, but it'll have to be cut down or very slow.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

BlackAura wrote:
Personally, I think that the Xbox could not possibly run Doom 3 as-is. It needs a GeForce 4 level graphics card to work at a decent speed, and the Xbox graphics system is derived from a GeForce 3 (nForce chipset). It might work, but it'll have to be cut down or very slow.

NO it doesn't

I think the next time someone says you hafta upgrade your system to a 3.06ghz p4 and a gfti4600/radeon 9700 just to play doom 3 I'm going to cry. Just because the fucking alpha ran like shit doesn't mean it wont run on lower cards. You people have to understand that the reason it ran like ass was because every single option was turned on. All the spiffy stuff to show off to the press. Christ. The Xbox version will prolly just be on a lower level like a medium gfx mode of sorts. Who knows LET THEM FIGURE IT OUT. Just fucking wait till its out and then look at the gfx. Don't whine about some final that wont be out for ages. Ugh.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Random_Troll wrote:
BlackAura wrote:

NO it doesn't

I think the next time someone says you hafta upgrade your system to a 3.06ghz p4 and a gfti4600/radeon 9700 just to play doom 3 I'm going to cry. Just because the fudging alpha ran like poop doesn't mean it wont run on lower cards. You people have to understand that the reason it ran like ass was because every single option was turned on. All the spiffy stuff to show off to the press. Christ. The Xbox version will prolly just be on a lower level like a medium gfx mode of sorts. Who knows LET THEM FIGURE IT OUT. Just fudging wait till its out and then look at the gfx. Don't whine about some final that wont be out for ages. Ugh.
You're right kami ;)

It should run on Gforce2s with low settings, right?
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

It should run on custom GeForce 3s on medium settings.

GamerWeb wrote: Unreal Championship for Xbox is a stand-alone product. That is something that needs to be said up front. This is not a port, a sequel, or a watered down version of a PC game. Unreal Championship has been designed from the ground up for, and to take advantage of, Xbox. Digital Extremes is behind the new game, in conjunction with Epic Games (creator of the Unreal game and engine). These are all important background facts to keep in mind when looking at this upcoming title. One of the major complaints about Xbox is that it will become a port machine for PC games. This is not the case with Unreal Championship.
They say that Unreal Championship is not a port.

Xbox pics-

PC pics-

They don't look that much apart.
You don't work, you don't eat.
You don't grind, you shine.
-Mike Jones

281-330-8004, when someone picks up, ask for Mike Jones!

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Random_Troll wrote:NO it doesn't

I think the next time someone says you hafta upgrade your system to a 3.06ghz p4 and a gfti4600/radeon 9700 just to play doom 3 I'm going to cry. Just because the fudging alpha ran like poop doesn't mean it wont run on lower cards. You people have to understand that the reason it ran like ass was because every single option was turned on. All the spiffy stuff to show off to the press. Christ. The Xbox version will prolly just be on a lower level like a medium gfx mode of sorts. Who knows LET THEM FIGURE IT OUT. Just fudging wait till its out and then look at the gfx. Don't whine about some final that wont be out for ages. Ugh.
Personally, I've never seen the alpha nor how well it plays. But all those shadow/lighting calculations take a lot of CPU time, and rendering them requires a pretty powerful system. A GeForce 2 would probably struggle to render everything, no matter how powerful the CPU that's driving it is. A GeForce 3 should cope with it. And considering that the Xbox would have been a state-of-the-art gaming rig in 2000, and that Doom 3 probably won't be released until late next year, I don't think that it can do it.

That hardware will be three to four years old by the time Doom 3 is released - that means that it would be considered obsolete by PC standards. Even entry-level PCs would be more powerful than that by the time Doom 3 is released. I simply do not think that the Xbox has the CPU power required to do the number of calculations required of it. And it probably doesn't have enough RAM to store all that data either (64MB total, whereas entry-level PCs would probably have 128MB + 32MB of Video RAM). Maybe if everything is scaled back, and a lot of the lighting effects are removed. But that would simply kill the mood of the game, which is supposed to use lighting a lot for dramatic effect.

Basically, I don't think that any current games console has sufficient power to do justice to Doom 3.

As for Unreal Championship - it has many of the same weapons, maps and player models. And this is not a port of UT2K3? I suppose it's possible that they developed two games using much of the same data and the same engine. Looking at UnrealED from UT2K3, it has special modes for simulating an Xbox, and it has some in-game scripts that have to be from Championship, like the vehicle code and demo map. I'd say that Championship is the Xbox version of UT2K3, and that the engine was written to run properly on both systems.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

IT IS THE XBOX VERSION OF UT2K3!

Just cause the Xbox doesnt have the power like a top-of-the-line PC, it doesnt mean a port of doom 3 would be impossible.

heh, try running the PC version of Morrowind on a PC thats got the same-sorta specs as Xbox - and look how sh?t it will run.
Sub Woofer
DCEmu Cop
DCEmu Cop

Post by Sub Woofer »

Don't forget, it also depends on the TV you're running it on.

Most TV's are only capable if 640 by 480 resolutions, Hence why objects that are far off in console games always look like shit.

Try playing UC on a Svideo or High Def. TV and see the difference. Still though, they are no match for the crisp details of a monitor, so naturally the PC version is going to look better.

Spiderman! Spiderman! Friendy Neighbourhood Spiderman!
Spins a web... any size..... catches thiefs, just like flies!
WATCH OUT... here comes the Spiderman!
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Why does Unreal Chapionship....

Post by reaper2k2 »

Cless wrote:Look horriable when xbox has so much power. I mean it looks like the Dreamcast version of Unreal Tournament. I dont understand why it looks so bad.

IVE siad for a while the dc grafixs are as good as the other machines most times thanks with the back up

shakes head lol
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
slingblade21
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by slingblade21 »

i think unreal championship looks good and it is a awesome game
ARE YOU SICK OF YOUR OLD GAMES? TRADE THEM AT CRAZYLAND WHERE YOU CAN BUY SELL OR TRADE YOUR OLD GAMES. :headbang:

JOIN CRAZY LAND FORUMS
http://www.crazylandforums.com
0newinged
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by 0newinged »

Shifting a bit off topic, but does anyone know the release date for Unreal2 for PC? It looks awesome.

/me changes avatar