audio out of sync??

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
crazyrom
Ex-Help Forum Mod
Ex-Help Forum Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

audio out of sync??

Post by crazyrom »

Ok i got dcdivx to work but now the audio is out of sync.
Anybody know what could be wrong?
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

try playing the divx file on your computer and see if it's in synch there. If it's out of synch on the computer as well, then it's the file and not DCDivX. In that case, you would have to figure out how to synch it up and burn another disc. Basically, you need to get the audio seperate as a .wav, and if the sound early, then you need to insert silence in the beginning of your audio, and if the sound is late then you need to trim some audio from the beginning or add some black frames to the start of the video.

The other thing to keep in mind is that some things can cause DCDivX to lose synch with an in-synch video, and there's not much that you can do about it other than re-encode your video with different settings. Also, DCDivX supports several codecs, including DivX 3, 4, and 5 as well as XviD and I think one or two other MPEG-4 codecs. Try different ones with a short movie and see what gives you results you like.

If you can't get it, try GypPlay. Just use TMPGEnc to encode an MPEG-1 stream. It's not too picky about the file as long as you have an MPEG-1 encoded file, and it doesn't lose synch either.

Also, if you know a way to make sofdec movies, try using the web browser to play movies. It gives by far the best quality I have seen for video on the DC. The only thing that sucks is no Rewind/Fast Forward, but it does have Pause.
crazyrom
Ex-Help Forum Mod
Ex-Help Forum Mod

Post by crazyrom »

try playing the divx file on your computer and see if it's in synch there
Nope thats not it it plays fine on my pc.
It plays fine for about 30min then it go's out of sync the audio is like a
second behind the video.
If you can't get it, try GypPlay
I can make gyplay but i want the video on one cd so that wont help. :(
Also, if you know a way to make sofdec movies, try using the web browser to play movies. It gives by far the best quality I have seen for video on the DC. The only thing that sucks is no Rewind/Fast Forward, but it does have Pause.
Do you know how to make sofdec movies? If you do could you tell me how please. :P Thanks Crazyrom
crazyrom
Ex-Help Forum Mod
Ex-Help Forum Mod

Post by crazyrom »

Ok i made another movie and it play's great WTF?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

What is your source?

For DVD:

Use TMPG to make a very high-quality MPG file and then encode this with VirtualDub.

For AVI/DivX/XviD/etc:

Make a WAV of the sound using VirtualDub, encode a high-quality MPG with TMPG and then re-encode this in VirtualDub.

Both of those should also help with any ACM error messages you get.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

crazyrom wrote: Do you know how to make sofdec movies? If you do could you tell me how please. :P Thanks Crazyrom
Type "Sofdec Movie Creator" or something similar in Google and see what you can find. (Basically,in case you don't already know, a sofdec movie is the same as an MPEG1 video but with ADX audio. Because of the audio portion, they tend to be bigger than MPEG1 files.) Not sure how many different options there are, I know some sites have the one from the Sega SDK and nobody has made them take it down but it might not be *legal*. (some computer companies, i hear, give away their SDK to encourage development for their platform. not sure if that's the case here.) Oh, and I forgot to mention in my earlier post that you need to make a webpage on the same disc as the web browser, but it's the best way I've found to watch better-than-vhs quality video on DC ...

The other thing to consider, if you keep having problems with DCDivX, GypPlay can play EVERY mpeg1 movie I have ever thrown at it, so to fit a movie on one disc, play around with the audio/video settings in TMPGEnc(the awesome free one) or EOVideo (not free, but offers a 30-day trial), and maybe even the frame size. For example, if you have a 352x288 PAL VCD movie, try re-encoding it at maybe 700 kbps and shrink it to 214x175 and see if that satisfies you. Or, if you'd rather maybe I'll encode one and tell you what I think of lowering the resolution first... If you're watching animated movies, though, GypPlay is really good and you can get away with a lower bitrate on the video a lot more than with live-action stuff.