Having problems with DCNESTER, please help

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
osssmosis
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Having problems with DCNESTER, please help

Post by osssmosis »

I downloaded the NERO image of DCNESTER and burned it. I put it in my dreamcast and booted up just fine. I burned some games on a separate disc and switched the discs when the emulator had loaded, however I got some "Header" errors. Nevertheless, the games played fine. I wanted to put everything on one disc so I put the disc back in my burner, chose to continue the multisession with Nero, and put the games in the "GAMES" folder, and burned it. I then put the disc in my dreamcast and it does not boot up. What am I doing wrong???
Schnapple
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Schnapple »

You're unclear on which disc - the NesterDC image disc or the game disc - you tried to do this on but in either event I don't think it will work. The NesterDC image has two sessions, and the second one is closed, so you can't even make a third session (I think - sessions get confusing). As for the games disc, that would make for three sessions and unless the first session is the four second audio track the DC won't boot. You're simply going to have to give this a go with a new CD.

As for the header errors - so long as the ROMs run they should be fine. NES headers are weird affairs but this page has some utilities to clean "dirty headers". cajoNES I seem to recall was pretty good. It's old but the science was perfected years ago. Note that the header issues and the session issues have nothing to do with each other.

Schnapple
osssmosis
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by osssmosis »

the problem was with the NERO image disc. I think it says in the instructions that you can continue the multisession disc and burn the games on the image disc.
Schnapple
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Schnapple »

Well don't do that. Just burn them as plain files using Selfboot Buddy (whose linky escapes me)

Schnapple