Forcing games into VGA mode

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
supersega
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Forcing games into VGA mode

Post by supersega »

will games that don't work on vga mode be able to work on RGB mode? If not, how do i force the DC to output the game in this mode? Will this forced signal damage my monitor?

Thanks
( ABACABB )
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Re: Forcing games into VGA mode

Post by someoneElse »

supersega wrote:will games that don't work on vga mode be able to work on RGB mode? If not, how do i force the DC to output the game in this mode? Will this forced signal damage my monitor?

Thanks
Boot the game with the VGA box DISCONNECTED from the Dreamcast (or the VGA box switched to composite/S-Video if it has a switch), wait several seconds for it to load (Or until you hear the sound of the Sega boot screen), THEN reconnect your VGA box (or switch the VGA box to VGA mode). It will often take a few seconds for actual video output to kick in as soon as the game finishes booting, even if it doesn't 'officially' support VGA output.

There are a very few games that will not work with this method, or any other method at all, for that matter, they simply will not run under VGA no matter what.
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
Dark Schneider
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Dark Schneider »

I personally cannot get Last Blade 2, Plasma Sword or Airforce Delta to boot in VGA mode with any tricks. But then again, I have never gotten the trick to succesfully work with anything...
supersega
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by supersega »

if a game doesn't support vga mode, does that mean that it doesn't support RGB mode?
( ABACABB )
tom61a
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tom61a »

supersega wrote:if a game doesn't support vga mode, does that mean that it doesn't support RGB mode?
50/50 shot that it'd work in RGB if it doesn't work in VGA mode. Its quite an odd situation. Also, with the DC-X boot disc, appearently you can select the monitor mode by pressing and holding a certain button, I forget what button it was.