Don't believe the hype.

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Bluce_Ree
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Don't believe the hype.

Post by Bluce_Ree »

List games that you feel were overrated. What games simply didn't deserve the praise they got.

1. Guilty Gear X - list any number of these 2D beat em ups. I'm so not fussed by KOF coming out. It's all so uninspiring.

2. NBA 2K2 - not a patch on Showtime in terms of fun.

3. Mars Matrix - too ugly. Just tried it through a VGA cable and it's still crap looking. Plays like any other Capcom shooter as well. 4000 bullets on the screen at once...

4. UEFA Dream Soccer - the only footie game to get a decent review and its worse that SWWS: Euro. Go figure.

5. Resident Evil CV - now I played and completed Res 2 on the PSX but this was just awful. Stupid puzzles, no real scares and more backtracking than a game of Super Backtrack Simulator.

6. Ferrari F355 - I dont care how nice looking it is, where's the FUN?!?!

7. Unreal Tournament - horrible compared to the PC version. And no customisable controls just preset options. Strafing with shoulder buttons not allowed... CRAP! In fact all FPS games are on the DC.

8. 90 Minutes - yes, I know it got crap reviews. But that's not enough. People should have died for this travesty!
RIP Richard Pryor
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

Of course Mars Matrix is crap looking through VGA, Its a 320x240 sprite shooter, if you want it to look its arcade best you need to play it through RGB.

Theres no such thing as a DC game that was "overpraised" as the Dreamcast is the most unappreciated system in gaming history.

Although quite how Smilebit came up with the dross that is 90minutes/J.League Spectacle Soccer and decided to release it is one hell of a mystery :D

And whats so uninspiring about 2D beat em ups? are you inclining that generic 3D based ones are better by default?
Bluce_Ree
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bluce_Ree »

Well I was a big fan of the Street Fighter games and to some extent Mortal Kombat 1,2 and 3 so I've enjoyed 2d beat em ups but now they just all seem a bit uninspiring.

I quite liked the karate afro guy in Garou because his character felt heavy but generally all the non-capcom 2d games leave me cold (and Jojo was awful also).

I know the DC was under-appreciated, doesn't mean that all the journalists got their reviews right tho!
RIP Richard Pryor
Bluce_Ree
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bluce_Ree »

Re: Mars Matrix - I've used regular RF, vga and scart and well... you can't polish a turd. It really is the worst looking game I've got and it's plays pretty badly too.
RIP Richard Pryor
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

Bluce_Ree wrote:Re: Mars Matrix - I've used regular RF, vga and scart and well... you can't polish a turd. It really is the worst looking game I've got and it's plays pretty badly too.
You must be lobotomized for this insult!

btw, Guilty Gear X is the closest thing we got to the Samurai Spirits fighting series on Dreamcast, despite it not being directly developed by SNK. And it's aGREAT game. :P
kaze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by kaze »

im not going to even bother debating on guilty gear x, as its posisbly one of the best 2d weapons based fighting game in existance right now.

and the 4000 bullets on the screen is nothing new, ikaruga, radiant silvergun, battle garegga, soukyugurentai, thunderforce, donpachi, dodonpachi, 19xx, strikers, pulstar, blazing star, gigawing, gigawing 2, shienryu, esprade, guwange, shall i go on?
Current Music:
Himekami - Exceeding Love
Little Viking - Future
Nas - God's Son Adam Freeland - Fear
Ibana - Shell / Half Pain
Bluce_Ree
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bluce_Ree »

calm down!

Mars Matrix looks horrible and Guilty Gear was pretty much average.

The bulletfest of Mars Matrix indeed isnt new but that doesnt make it okay. At least Ikaruga did it with some kind of design plan rather than spitting the bullets out everywhere.
RIP Richard Pryor
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

That game that plays "badly" is widely regarded as one of the most solid and challenging vert shumps made in the last 5 years, does it play badly because you dont understand how to play it properly? its not just left/right press x repeatidly their is a very coherant chain system and "blast" depth concerning different areas of how to destroy the enemy and increase a chain.

Traditionally when it comes to shooters they only play badly when the user plays badly.

MM is one of my favourite games on the DC.

Unless you can complete a shooter on one credit (the overall goal) its not worth posting such an unbalanced opinion, the way to play a shooter isnt to continually press the start button to "continue" your learning nothing from it that way...their is an obvious pattern to the game that requires some sort of memorisation.

MM dosnt look horrible, have you seen the 3rd and 4th stages?
Last edited by The Kron on Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kaze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by kaze »

Bluce_Ree wrote:calm down!

Mars Matrix looks horrible and Guilty Gear was pretty much average.

The bulletfest of Mars Matrix indeed isnt new but that doesnt make it okay. At least Ikaruga did it with some kind of design plan rather than spitting the bullets out everywhere.
if you think guilty gear x is still average, you havent played the game and discovered some of the nice combos that can be done. when you start implementing roman cancels, and DA attacks into one combo, you will truly see the beauty of the game. and if youre such a big fan of capcom games, then you can easily sppreciate the aestetic quality of ggx. it is still the ONLY 2d game to use 640X480 characters and backgrounds, no small feat on sammy's account.

of course mars matrix does not look that good. as kron said the game is a low res game. and for a big gamer, you sure do put a lot of weight on graphics. and watch some vids of people playing the game. 1: there is a pattern of bullets, and 2: soem of the times you are NOT supposed to be able to dodge them, thats where the mosquito comes in. youre not supposed to drain it completely every time, youre supposed to drain a bit, get a second of invunerability, diodge a bit, then drain again. it has a massive amount of depth to it.

and while we are at overrated games, how about soul calibur, the most overrated game for any console, not just dreamcast.
Current Music:
Little Viking - Future
Bluce_Ree
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bluce_Ree »

I thought Soul Calibur was quite nice actually. Especially cos of Maxi and his nunchukas. Characters aren't that balanced tho and it gets tired pretty quickly. Still it's good in quick blasts.

You could be right about my lack of 2d fighting/vert shooter skills but nothing about MM makes me want to try any harder at it. But I did used to be a bit tasty on SWIV back in the day and what's harder than that?

Certainly cannot see how people compare MM to Ikaruga tho. Ikaruga is clearly the better game. I feel the DC could have used a few more shooters. Capcom tried but mostly sucked.

If only the DC had gotten R-Type Delta that would've been fantastic. Heck I'd take R-Type 3 on DreamSNES if version 1.0 ever comes out.

I suppose if I tell you I like Marvel V Capcom 2 I'll be quite literally a bitch then!
RIP Richard Pryor
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

The character scaling, resolution, character design,.....etc, GGX is up there with Marvel vs Capcom2, perhaps even cleaner looking in my opinion. Why GGX never made the trip to the US, and the aptly named Jojo's Bizarre Adventure did, I will never understand.
Bluce_Ree
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bluce_Ree »

I wouldnt say I'm too much of a graphics whore tho... have you seen my avatar!
RIP Richard Pryor
kaze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by kaze »

-Azathoth- wrote:The character scaling, resolution, character design,.....etc, GGX is up there with Marvel vs Capcom2, perhaps even cleaner looking in my opinion. Why GGX never made the trip to the US, and the aptly named Jojo's Bizarre Adventure did, I will never understand.
the reason guilty gear x looks cleaner than anything capcom has done is because both the characters and backgrounds were at 640X480 resolution.

capcom fighters the backgrounds are at 640X480, but the characters are still 320X240, put marvel vs capcom 2 or capcom vs snk 2 on a vga box and you will see some horrid pixelation, throw ggx on there, and not a single jagged edge. high res makes all the difference. ggx on vga looks better than anything else 2d produced EVER.

and no youre not a bitch for liking marvel vs capcom 2. but the game is nowhere near balanced as ggx or even capcom vs snk.

and just so you know, im not trying to flame you, just think your generalization and comparisons f mars matrix are a bit unfair.
Current Music:
Little Viking - Future
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

Returning to the topic of over rated games, for me it has to be MSR. The official Dremcast Magazine was banging on about it being photo-realistic, but it was an average looking game that due to the nature of many of the challenges where you were the only car driving on an empty street, was tedious and repetitive to play. Can we say anticapointment?

The most dissapointing game though was Daytona USA. I LOVE this game in the arcade and on the Saturn, but they managed to ruin it with an appaling control system.
Drink your weak lemon drink now!
Bluce_Ree
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bluce_Ree »

hey that's cool. I guess you guys would have far different lists to me then!

The thing about 2D beat em ups (and this is not necessarily a criticism for most people) is that it is too much about combos and less about actual frenzied battle. I'd say my fave fighting game is UFC, it's tactical and hardcore without me having to do lots of quarterturns and button combos. Street Fighter 2 was always fun and pretty balanced and in 2 player mode you could have a good battle but then it got into the whole x-ism/combo thing and I felt it lost a bit of it's purity. MvC2 is just as bad but hey you can play as Spiderman... *ahem*
RIP Richard Pryor
Bluce_Ree
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bluce_Ree »

I@n, too right about Daytona. Damn, the control on that game sucks. Is Sega GT worth getting by the way and are the cars in it licensed?

As for MSR, it's an odd relationship that I have with this game. I'll leave it for months on end and then I'll pick it up and play it for hours proclaiming it the best thing ever. Then I'll leave it alone again. It's sporadically addictive - now how odd is that?
RIP Richard Pryor
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

For what it's worth, F355 isn't overrated IMO. Sure, many people will be put off by the difficulty, but if you are a true racer and want a real challenge then it's a game worth buying.

Oh, and yeah, I play it in the arcades 2- 3 times per week and a few times on the DC at home :wink:
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Re: Don't believe the hype.

Post by TreyDay »

Bluce_Ree wrote:List games that you feel were overrated. What games simply didn't deserve the praise they got.
2. NBA 2K2 - not a patch on Showtime in terms of fun.
NBA2k2 is better than Showtime, mainly because is an NBA JAM type game, not a sim game like NBA2k. Showtime is suppose to be faster than normal gameplay with real NBA scores in 3 min. quarters.
You don't work, you don't eat.
You don't grind, you shine.
-Mike Jones

281-330-8004, when someone picks up, ask for Mike Jones!

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"
Bluce_Ree
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bluce_Ree »

that's me being English. I found NBA2k2 to be a whole lot less good. But then I do play NFL Blitz and I think I understand it, it's like rugby right? (Joking).

Anyway guys, stop slating my choices and give me some of yours!
RIP Richard Pryor
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

Oh and another one;

Crazy Taxi 2

The original is one of my favourite games of all time, but the sequel is exactly the same game, just without any of the fun.
Drink your weak lemon drink now!