Sega Master System

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
cYpLeX
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sega Master System

Post by cYpLeX »

LOL, now thats one peice of crap. I downloaded the emulator and played some SMS games and omfg, cant bare them. Just too cheesy but hey, this day in age we have games that are zillion times bigger and such so, guess im being a little too bias. Then again, NES games are classics.
Heliophobe
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe »

Eh, what did you play, exactly?
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Re: Sega Master System

Post by pixel »

cYpLeX wrote:we have games that are zillion times bigger
Uh huh, games today are waaaay better then old ones. I mean, Mortal Kombat Advance is a major leap for games. :wink:
have you played Taboo for the NES? Or Bible Adventures?
theultimatechuff
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by theultimatechuff »

Action fighter on the SMS 0wnz j00 all
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Hollywood Hasney wrote:So the more powerful SMS is a peice of crap but the less powerful NES has classic games? :lol:

Yeah. This guy reminds me of one of those "PS2 is better cuz its more popular!" kids O_o
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I never played a lot of SMS games. But the few that I played sucked. There was better titles on the NES then SMS. Rather or not it was better hardware now don't matter. I didn't see any better quality in any of its games.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Veggita2099 - What games did you actually play, and what NES games were really good? I've never found any really good NES games, and I'd like to see some if they actually exist.
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

I currently own 61 Sega Master System games, they are ALL in their original cases, and 95% of them all have their manuals! :o

Most of the good games came out in Europe, so I import them from the UK to the USA. :D
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

BlackAura wrote:Veggita2099 - What games did you actually play, and what NES games were really good? I've never found any really good NES games, and I'd like to see some if they actually exist.
Your kidding right?

Good games on NES

CastleVania 2 and 3
Super Mario Bros 1, 2, 3
Contra
Zelda
Zelda 2 (not a great Zelda game but still fun)
Faxadu (not correct spelling)
Metroid
Megamans 1 2 3 4 (5 and 6 was ok but it was getting really redundant)
BattleToads
Pro Wrestling ( A winner is you)
Skate or Die
Who framed Roger Rabbit
Track and Field 2
Ninja Turtles 2
Bionic Commando

Well thats all I can think of but there was a lot more. Can't beleive there is people out there who actually think there was NO good games on this system. Heck my little cousin who is only 8 plays Nester DC more then his DC games, Ps1, Sega Genesis, and SNES combined. Maybe the SMS is a more powerful system, but none of the games on it looked better then games on NES. But then again the SMS didn't last till 92 like the NES so Im sure its full power never was seen. Either way NES rocked compared to it.

As for SMS I don't remember the name of the games I played. I know I downloaded a ton of roms at one point and didn't like any of them enough to play through. I remember Alex Kid which sucked majorly. What the hell is up with playing Paper Rock Scissors??

I live in the U.S. and as everybody knows it bombed big time here. I never played any import games on it so maybe there was some good ones released in the UK or elsewhere.
Dr. Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
Hollywood Hasney wrote:So the more powerful SMS is a peice of crap but the less powerful NES has classic games? :lol:

Yeah. This guy reminds me of one of those "PS2 is better cuz its more popular!" kids O_o
Really? He reminds me of one of those "Xbox is better because it has better specs" kiddies.

The SMS was great, Phantasy Star, Wonderboy 3, Psycho Fox, Alex Kidd etc., etc. The NES was cool too though.
Heliophobe
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe »

Veggita2099 wrote:I never played a lot of SMS games. But the few that I played sucked. There was better titles on the NES then SMS. Rather or not it was better hardware now don't matter. I didn't see any better quality in any of its games.

Once again, could I get some titles here? What did you play? For all I know your basing your opinion of the SMS on Captain Silver or Great Football (not so great).
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Heliophobe wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:I never played a lot of SMS games. But the few that I played sucked. There was better titles on the NES then SMS. Rather or not it was better hardware now don't matter. I didn't see any better quality in any of its games.

Once again, could I get some titles here? What did you play? For all I know your basing your opinion of the SMS on Captain Silver or Great Football (not so great).
And once again its been so long I don't remember. I know I played Alex kid and Wonderboy and didn't like either of them. Far as Phantasy Star goes I never liked any of them on the Genesis, but never played the SMS versions. Im not saying no games on it was good, but the NES had a lot more games that I liked.

Around here the SMS was no where to be found by the 90's.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Alex kid and space harrier kicked ass on the sms wonder boy in moster land was great great baseball was the best base ball game out at the time and its system 16 ports of altered beast and golden axe looked just a little less polished then the gen version overall it wasa great system and the light gun was way beter then the nes 's lite gun
Heliophobe
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe »

Veggita2099 wrote: And once again its been so long I don't remember. I know I played Alex kid and Wonderboy and didn't like either of them. Far as Phantasy Star goes I never liked any of them on the Genesis, but never played the SMS versions. Im not saying no games on it was good, but the NES had a lot more games that I liked.
There were a number of Alex Kidd games, chances are you played Alex Kidd in Miracle World. It's a great game if you can get into it, but, like so many of the earlier SMS games, it was very difficult, which is probably what kept it from catching on. I think it might have been more liked if you'd had a health meter or something to make it a little more forgiving. Alex Kidd and the Lost Stars way a port of an arcade game, and a bit shallow, but nice looking (LOTS OF SPRITE FLICKER THOUGH). Alex Kidd in High Tech World is... weird. Just... weird.

There were also plenty of Wonderboy games, the original was more or less Hudson's Adventure Island for NES, but more colorful (I'm not sure which games was licensed from which company). I wasn't a fan, personally. Wonderboy in Monsterland, the first of the 'real' quest-oriented Wonderboy games, is a game that's only really fun when you understand some of the game mechanics, and as your character gets new equipment and strength. Initially you start out as sort of a 98 pound weakling who is difficult to control and prone to death, but it makes you appreciate how your character improves later on.

Wonderboy III (The Dragon's Trap) is, by all accounts, a fabulous game. It's sort of like Metroid or Castlevania: SOTN (to a lesser degree) in that the whole game world is a series of interconnected levels, and you will be able to access new areas as your character gains new abilities.

Interestingly, I've found that people tend to prefer the system that they used to play games on. People who grew up on the NES find SMS games to be 'weird' and not fun - people who grew up with an SMS in the house thing NES games are ugly and dull. Not always, but it's a tendancy I've noticed.

One theory I have is that you often don't get to really understand and enjoy a game until you've played it over and over again. Back when you couldn't just go download a rom, and only got games when you could afford it/for holidays, etc, you'd probably be more prone to playing the hell out of whatever you got, even if you initially found it difficult or otherwise didn't 'get' it. Nowadays, it's much easier to dismiss an 8-bit game because you can just go download another, or find a stack at a second hand shop for $2 each, or what have you.

So, for instance, and SMS fan now was probably an SMS fan back in the day - and probably didn't get to play NES games often or at all. So, if they start playing NES games, they'll feel unfamiliar, and they won't know about the konami code for Contra (which is impossible without it), or understand about the mazelike structure and ability upgrades in Metroid (which looks pretty dull just running around the first few halls shooting the same aliens with your pea-shooter), etc. And not having the patience to learn, they'll just write it off as a bad game, and move on to something else.

Same with the NES fan trying an SMS for the first time - they'll play Alex Kidd in Miracle World and find that it doesn't control right (meaning, it doesn't control like Super Mario Bros, but its close enough to make them think it should), or play Zillion and don't know what the hell they're even supposed to do. So they write them off as 'weird crap SMS games' and move on.

Here's something else I noticed : when I first discovered SMS emulation, I spent all my time playing the games I used to play when my SMS was my only system. I did download several other games, but by-in-large I'd play them a little bit, get bored and try something else. It went on this way until I replayed all my old games to the point of boredom, and picked a game or two to really play through (I think it was Kung Fu Kid and Enduro Racer initiallty), even though I though they were a bit dull and repetative.

After a time I'd started to pick up the groove, learn subtle tricks and techniques, improved my skills, and got to know the games better. And then I liked them a lot. Many other SMS games have been that way for me.

NES fans tend to mention the same handful of games as the true classics, and I find that people who like them now liked them when they had a real NES, or liked others in the series (such as the Megaman games), or at least played them at a friends house. But mostly, they don't really have a lot of other favorites besides what they remember, or played because they were told it was essential. I attribute this partly because any system has a certain amount of shovelware (the NES had a TON), but also because many people don't have the patience to sit down and really learn a new game on an 8-bit console, not the way they'd learn it if they just blew four weeks' allowance on it. Sometimes you can't tell a good game from a mediocre until you've played a while.

Hell, people tell me Psycho Fox for the SMS is a great platformer, but I never had the patience to get used to the akward jumping physics.

Just to emphasis the important bit: it' a tendancy I've noticed. Not everyone fits this mold, nor does anyone fit it all of the time, so you don't have to list personal antecdotes to the contrary.

Whoa, that got long. Sorry.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Heliophobe wrote:
There were a number of Alex Kidd games, chances are you played Alex Kidd in Miracle World. It's a great game if you can get into it, but, like so many of the earlier SMS games, it was very difficult, which is probably what kept it from catching on. I think it might have been more liked if you'd had a health meter or something to make it a little more forgiving. Alex Kidd and the Lost Stars way a port of an arcade game, and a bit shallow, but nice looking (LOTS OF SPRITE FLICKER THOUGH). Alex Kidd in High Tech World is... weird. Just... weird.
You forgot Alex Kidd in Shinobi World! How could you forget Alex Kidd in Shinobi World! :P
Heliophobe wrote: Hell, people tell me Psycho Fox for the SMS is a great platformer, but I never had the patience to get used to the akward jumping physics.
Psycho Fox is a great platformer, so good in fact it got rereleased on Genesis / Megadrive as De-Capp Attack with the fox and crow combo turning, uh, into a mummy with a removable head :?

I defy anyone to not enjoy the SMS 'classics' like Wonderboy 3, Thunderblade, Shinobi, Fantasy Zone, Alien Syndrome etc regardless of what system they were brought up on....
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:

Really? He reminds me of one of those "Xbox is better because it has better specs" kiddies.

The SMS was great, Phantasy Star, Wonderboy 3, Psycho Fox, Alex Kidd etc., etc. The NES was cool too though.

The SMS was more powerful than the NES... Which is why your analogy doesnt make sense O_o
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Probably I haven't found many good NES games because I used to have an SMS. As Heliophobe said, I tend to play the games I used to actually own (or at least had played), but I only played Super Mario Bros. on a real NES, and I didn't like it.
eham
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by eham »

Phantasy star, Golden axe warrior, Golvelius on Master were a 100th times better than any rpgs they made on the Nes.
Also all the convertions like the game came out on both system the Master version is better than the Nes versions in 90% of the time one little exemple:
Wonder boy 1 compared to Adventure island 1 humm... :?
And its the same game to my knowlage....

I know the Nes had a few classics that the master dint get like:
The Contra series
The Mega man series
The Castlevania series

But they had a lot of games to still compete with that like:
The Wonder boy series
The Alex kid series
and so on....

Also i know that the Master system was not that popular here in the US but in Europe it kick A$$ big time!!!!

In general the Master system was mu no 1 system in the 8 bit era!! :D :D
Lupin[lvl]
Gentleman Thief
Gentleman Thief

Post by Lupin[lvl] »

dont forget the SMS Sonics, they were class
Enki-14
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Enki-14 »

What about Shinobi, or Outrun or Afterburner? I hove those and they kick ass. Or what about missle defense 3-D? I had that too. Also, I remembered that the SMS that came with missle defense 3-D in it, had a hidden maze game. I got some trick and I played it. It was in the systems own memory, it was a little snail I think. It's been a very long time since I played a SMS.