Damn posts keep getting locked before I can defend myself...

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Damn posts keep getting locked before I can defend myself...

Post by Ender »

ok, fine, rules are rules, I hadn't actually read the rules so ok, I'll drop it. I just kinda wanted to defend myself. A lot of people took what I said out of context, so I just wanted to at least try to set the record straight.

As a matter of fact, I do own all of the DC games that I have, and they're not backups. People that I know do have backups though, and I know how they are made. Somebody asked a question regarding certain technical aspects of how they are made, and I gave him very broad, non-specific answers. I still personally don't see the harm in it.

Take for example, I know how to make 50 or so different types of explosive devices, but that doesn't mean that I go around blowing stuff up. Same type of thing.

I never used the word "immature" about the mods. I just said that they're more than likely 14-17, which, by the fact that this is a message board on the net, I'd assume is more or less right. I meant nothing by it, I just meant that at that age you should be willing to learn, that's all.

I know that technically emus are legal, but I've seen messages up here asking for help to burn ROM CDs for Dreamsnes, and although they may be with homebrew games, I'd be willing to bet that they're illegal ROMs. But somehow that escapes the rules.

Sorry, if I come away from this thinking that some of you are hypocrites. But yea, I'll drop the subject now. Just wanted to defend myself.

Ooh, but I should ask a question or something shouldn't I? Um...ok...off-topic...

Those of you that are from Canada, are you going to the labor day classic?
mrinsulto
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mrinsulto »

hmm, the only reason they talk about roms cds is to refer to homebrewn, tho most homebrewn games suck and well, you get the rest. homebrewn means legal, so therfor roms cd is ok to talk about and not get sued.

back up means sell for profit and or get games for free in a court of law, o therefor backup is cant be talked about do to the fact that this site would be shut down, as well as any otrher console emu site that talks about it.

sega and nintendo and sony have been wanting to shut this site down for a long time, but do to the fact that there is no information about backups and how to obtain cetrain software, leagaly speaking, they cant do it, but if they do suddenly allow that talk to be heard here, they will shut this place down.

so, as you can see, they are avoiding a shut down. i would avoid it by placing the site on a chinese server, since the chinese government does not respect nor reconize copy rights or patents, and is a major reason why i will not do business with chinise based retailers. tehy will sell you boot legs under the false impresion it is real and such.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Re: Damn posts keep getting locked before I can defend mysel

Post by pixel »

Ender wrote:Take for example, I know how to make 50 or so different types of explosive devices, but that doesn't mean that I go around blowing stuff up. Same type of thing.
good, you might not blow up stuff, but what will stop someone else who will. you post something on this subject, and someone will run off and do horrible things.
Ender wrote:I never used the word "immature" about the mods. I just said that they're more than likely 14-17, which, by the fact that this is a message board on the net, I'd assume is more or less right. I meant nothing by it, I just meant that at that age you should be willing to learn, that's all.
are we really that bad? it's not like we close topics because the little man on our shoulder told us too. :lol: btw, i'm 16
Ender wrote:I know that technically emus are legal, but I've seen messages up here asking for help to burn ROM CDs for Dreamsnes, and although they may be with homebrew games, I'd be willing to bet that they're illegal ROMs. But somehow that escapes the rules.
true, but are we saying, "Click this link for access to 1000s of ROMs!" ??
they could also be PD Roms. Assumptions can be deadly :wink:
Ender wrote:Just wanted to defend myself.
that's understandable
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Ender- If you don't like the rules here why not just go to another message board where you can talk about warez??
I know that technically emus are legal, but I've seen messages up here asking for help to burn ROM CDs for Dreamsnes, and although they may be with homebrew games, I'd be willing to bet that they're illegal ROMs.
There is a big differance between downloading warez Dreamcast games and NES, SNES tg-16 roms.. If you can't understand that you need help.
Take for example, I know how to make 50 or so different types of explosive devices, but that doesn't mean that I go around blowing stuff up.
But do you talk about how to build those explosives on this message board?? NO, because that isn't what this site is here for.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Warez is not always bad. Here is a couple of examples:

1. I had never liked RPG's for the longest of time. One day I found the SNES rom of Chrono TRigger and downloaded it. Of course doing this made no money for Nintendo or Square but at the time you could not find this game anywhere. Well I played it and loved it. So when I seen Final Fantasy 7 I thought if it was as good as Chrono Trigger I will like it. So I bought it. I loved ff7 and bought ff8, ff9, and ff10. I also have bought Chrono Trigger for psx, and Chrono Cross. But if Ihad never played that the rom of Chrono Trigger I would have never bought any of those other games. Guess that don't really help Nintendo none but it did for Square. And when that FF game comes out for GC there is a good chance I will buy it as well. But if square was to read this they would not look at the games I have bought cause of that rom, they would say they lost 60 bucks cause I didn't buy that SNES cart.

2. I used to know a guy who bought a Dreamcast ONLY because he could bootleg games for it. I bet he had 100 bootleg games for it. But to play these games he bought 3 extra controllers, like 4 VMU's, and I think he actually purchased some games (like PSO and Seaman since you can't play them bootleg well). So if Sega talked about this they would say they lost tons of money cause he didn't buy those games. But he said himself if he couldn't have gotten those copied games he would have never purchased the DC. That means Sega would not have made money off those memory cards, controllers, or the very few games he actually bought.

The whole point is a lot of people who download or copy games probably would have never paid for the game anyways. I got a couple of games I copied but I would have never bought them in the first place. And just about all the games I play I bought.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

Post by MidnightObsidian »

Ender, I'm not going to say anything more than that I agree with you.

I'm sorry that it's been received in the way it has. >= |
I'm not Clessoulis. Seriously.
mrinsulto
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mrinsulto »

ok

console makcers sega, sony, MS, and nintendo take a loss on there systems, well, not nintendo, they actual make a profit on em.

it cost about 210 dollars to make a dreamcast when it was first released, it sold for 199, i cost mor than 299 to make a ps2 when it was first released, and i defintly know microsoft took a greeat lost on there consols, it cost like 400 i think or 350 per unit to make.

they barely or dont at all make a profit off the sale of the system. but they do from games. it is the razor method. companies sell the shavers at a lost, but gain the money bacl tenfold with the sale of razors for it.

the video game industry does the same.

so, sstealing or burning games hurts the companies signifigently since they sell the hardware at a loss, then make it back in software sales.

so your fdreind is an idiot, he did not help the companies by stealing there games, and what about third parties? they never saw a dime from thos 3 or so vmu's and 3 extra contollers.

plus, thrid party developers pay a small fee per unit when making games for a system to the game companies, thus screwing sega a second time around.
mrinsulto
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mrinsulto »

one last thing, your right when you say most people ould not of bought the games to begin with. and some of the games, even if you wanted to buy, you still could not becouse no one sells em.

but, hey, why should somebody who never played a game for the snes buy the remake on GBA when they can get the snes rom for free?

there, the logic behind the they dont sell it anymore, the more availible it is for free, the less chance of cool games getting released on the gba, well so many got the rom there is no reason for anyone to buy the game.

that is why we probally never saw punch ou on the gbc, or will never see super punchout on the gba, i would prefer a brand new punch out game for the gba, and a new one for the gamecube as well.

so old games cost new systems money when you download em.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

mrinsulto wrote:ok

console makcers sega, sony, MS, and nintendo take a loss on there systems, well, not nintendo, they actual make a profit on em.

it cost about 210 dollars to make a dreamcast when it was first released, it sold for 199, i cost mor than 299 to make a ps2 when it was first released, and i defintly know microsoft took a greeat lost on there consols, it cost like 400 i think or 350 per unit to make.

they barely or dont at all make a profit off the sale of the system. but they do from games. it is the razor method. companies sell the shavers at a lost, but gain the money bacl tenfold with the sale of razors for it.

the video game industry does the same.

so, sstealing or burning games hurts the companies signifigently since they sell the hardware at a loss, then make it back in software sales.

so your fdreind is an idiot, he did not help the companies by stealing there games, and what about third parties? they never saw a dime from thos 3 or so vmu's and 3 extra contollers.

plus, thrid party developers pay a small fee per unit when making games for a system to the game companies, thus screwing sega a second time around.
Well he bought the DC used for one thing. And Sega DOES make money from the sells of the VMU's and Controller's. And the game companys DID NOT take a lose from him since as I said he would have never bought those games in the first place.

And the 3rd parties did not pay any fee cause he burned those games. I don't know where he got them from, nor do I care. Far as Sega or any company is concerned the burned games he has do not exist. And he DID buy a couple of games which he would have never bought if he couldn't have bootleged the other games.

Im not saying what he did was right. But in the long run there was SOME profit gained from him.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

Post by MidnightObsidian »

Veggita2099 wrote:The whole point is a lot of people who download or copy [software] probably would have never paid for the [software] anyways.
That is very true. I own a cracked copy of Flash MX, WindowsXP Corporate, OfficeXP, Adobe Essentials, etc. Sure, I use them all the time. Sure, neither Macromedia nor Microsoft nor Adobe made any money. But if you think about it, they wouldn't have made any money whether I downloaded it or not. I don't have hundreds of dollars to pay for software, so I wouldn't have bought it either way. In my opinion, they aren't losing (or gaining) anything. I'm just benefitting.

If software was less expensive, I'd be happy to shell out some money for it. It just doesn't make sense to me to pay fifty dollars for a game I'm going to beat in a week. It takes me several to get that much money.

Also, you have to consider how limited the warez community is. For every thousand people are part of it, there are likely one-hundred thousand that aren't. Taking 1% of sales from a game company shouldn't hurt them too much. (Of course, I can't be sure that those numbers are accurate, but from my personal experiences, I would say that they're pretty close.)

I know that it's rather pointless to express my opinion in these matters, but I figured that I'd get my two cents in.
Last edited by MidnightObsidian on Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not Clessoulis. Seriously.
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

MO wrote:Also, you have to consider how limited the warez community is. For every thousand people are part of it, there are likely one-hundred thousand that aren't. Taking 1% of sales from a game company shouldn't hurt them too much. (Of course, I can't be sure that those numbers are accurate, but from my personal experiences, I would say that they're pretty close.)
Taking 1% of sales from a games company shouldnt even be an option, to try and defend it is quite sickening, ive lost a hell of a lot of respect for you MO.

Using the excuse I wouldnt have bought it in the first place so they wont be losing any money is irrelevent, if you werent going to buy it in the first place why do you feel you are entitled you use a product that a company has spent thousands of hours developing?

And Veggita speaks so much Cr@p its not even worth bothering with.
Narcissus
TAFKA Token99
TAFKA Token99

Post by Narcissus »

The Kron wrote: ive lost a hell of a lot of respect for you MO.
Why? Because he doesn't share the same views as you? Have you ever downloaded an mp3? Have you ever recorded a song off the radio? Have you ever recorded a movie off of TV or one that you've rented? Man, I'm not flaming anyone here, but I'm sure you're not an angel, the only reason you defend software developers is because you work for one. I'm not saying that it's all OK to do these things, but I'm sure there's some other way you do the exact same thing, just on another level or form of media. Copying your friends CD, recording TV shows, recording rentals, downloading mp3s, downloading pirated software are all the exact same thing... you've never (or still don't?) done any of these things?

In conclusion, you shouldn't lose respect for people just because they don't think the same way that you do... man... politicians, crooked religious leaders, and sexual predators roam the earth and you lose a lot of respect for someone because they want to use software they can't afford. If he's not using it for profit purposes or personal gain (and don't say learning how to use it is personal gain, because that's not what I'm talking about) who is it really hurting? These CEO's of America that are lying about their annual profits to make an extra 10 billion dollars? If it was directly coming out of a developers pocket that was struggling and trying to raise a family then I'd understand, but I have little or no respect for corporate america anyway so f*ck em.
The only limitations we have, are the ones we set for ourselves...
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

...Gives up
Narcissus
TAFKA Token99
TAFKA Token99

Post by Narcissus »

404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

i have Flash4, OfficeXP, office 2000, Visual Basic, and Visual Studio all legit, how u ask? student discounts, like 100 bucks apease.
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

The Kron wrote:...Gives up
Look at it this way Kron, in 20 years, will anyone still care?

btw, 20 years is not that long a time, especially in this industry which hasnt been around much more than that.
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

-Azathoth- wrote:

btw, 20 years is not that long a time, especially in this industry which hasnt been around much more than that.
The copyright holders might, those things last 75 years.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

Hawq wrote:
-Azathoth- wrote:

The copyright holders might, those things last 75 years.
:lol: I'm sure Gumpei Yokoi is turning in his grave because we're playing Kid Icarus on NesterDC.
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
Narcissus
TAFKA Token99
TAFKA Token99

Post by Narcissus »

-Azathoth- wrote:

Yeah, I totally respect your opinion Kron, and if you noticed I never dogged you out, or said anything about me thinking any less of you. It's just that I know you think less of people that don't believe the same way you do, and that's just not right. You have to respect people for voicing their opinion as long as they do it the correct way, even if it's something that you totally disagree with. I don't condone warez, I don't condone underage drinking, I don't condone unprotected sex, I don't condone drug usage, I don't condone abortion (in most cases), I don't condone war, I don't condone disrespecting people for no good reason, but I've done all of them at one time or another. What matters is we are all human and we should be able to get along... lets just drop this warez subject, its too much like politics and religion.

Lets just talk about things we agree on... Emulation, beautiful women, good games, cool cars, and things of that nature.. One love... :)
UnderGroundBiatch
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by UnderGroundBiatch »

mrinsulto wrote:hmm, the only reason they talk about roms cds is to refer to homebrewn, tho most homebrewn games suck and well, you get the rest. homebrewn means legal, so therfor roms cd is ok to talk about and not get sued.

back up means sell for profit and or get games for free in a court of law, o therefor backup is cant be talked about do to the fact that this site would be shut down, as well as any otrher console emu site that talks about it.

sega and nintendo and sony have been wanting to shut this site down for a long time, but do to the fact that there is no information about backups and how to obtain cetrain software, leagaly speaking, they cant do it, but if they do suddenly allow that talk to be heard here, they will shut this place down.

so, as you can see, they are avoiding a shut down. i would avoid it by placing the site on a chinese server, since the chinese government does not respect nor reconize copy rights or patents, and is a major reason why i will not do business with chinise based retailers. tehy will sell you boot legs under the false impresion it is real and such.
Ummmm, is that true? I see plenty of emulation sites, xboxhacker, ps2 emulaiton sites.... I have never heard of them being shut down... not the ones that just report news and tutorials on how to upgrade stuff and such. Has there ever been an actual attempt to shut down dcemulation? I would doubt it.... and I say fine, dont EVER ALLOW TLAK OF WAREZ HERE, but the reasons people give seem to be a little out there (ex. "we'll be sued").
WAREZ ON THIS SITE=NO, but no need to give crazy reasons :P.

And also, why do people keep trying to push warez onto these boards? There are PLENTY of places were you can obtain this sort of knowledge, just not here...