How do I BinHack stuff?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How do I BinHack stuff?

Post by az_bont »

I've been looking for instructions for how to BinHack stuff but the only info I can find involves going all the way through the old self-boot method using CDRecord and DOS command names and the like.

Does anyone know an easy way I can BinHack stuff? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

What's BinHack? If I remember correctly, it's for producing a standard Dreamcast BIN file from a WINCE BIN file (like 0WINCEOS.BIN to 1ST_READ.BIN), mostly for use with Utopia. You should just be able to use the 1ST_READ.BIN file like any other selfboot thingy.
NullBot
Null/Junk Robot

Post by NullBot »

Binaries developed with the Katana kit and Windows CE need to be Binhacked based on your CD Burner's LBA Offset after you've burned the AUDIO.RAW first track. Binhacking homebrew stuff won't hurt, but at one time people thought it was required, although it isn't required at all. To binhack, get binhack.exe from the Echelon Selfboot Toolkit, have your IP.BIN and 1ST_READ.BIN in the same directory as BINHACK.EXE. Open a command prompt, browse to that dir, and run BINHACK.EXE. The Input Bootsector = IP.BIN, binary = 1ST_READ.BIN, and the LBA offset = the number after the comma you get when running cdrecord -scanbus (ie if you get 0,11700 then input 11700).

Now your 1ST_READ.BIN is binhacked, and your IP.BIN has been patched to boot 1ST_READ.BIN correctly.

I don't know why you would need this information, though, as bin2boot-based Selfboot Toolkits binhack the stuff before you make the CDI (unless the toolkit runs bin2boot.exe /nohack). The only reason I can see is to make your WinCE stuff work with burnerO's Selfboot.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

NullBot wrote:Binaries developed with the Katana kit and Windows CE need to be Binhacked based on your CD Burner's LBA Offset after you've burned the AUDIO.RAW first track. Binhacking homebrew stuff won't hurt, but at one time people thought it was required, although it isn't required at all. To binhack, get binhack.exe from the Echelon Selfboot Toolkit, have your IP.BIN and 1ST_READ.BIN in the same directory as BINHACK.EXE. Open a command prompt, browse to that dir, and run BINHACK.EXE. The Input Bootsector = IP.BIN, binary = 1ST_READ.BIN, and the LBA offset = the number after the comma you get when running cdrecord -scanbus (ie if you get 0,11700 then input 11700).

Now your 1ST_READ.BIN is binhacked, and your IP.BIN has been patched to boot 1ST_READ.BIN correctly.

I don't know why you would need this information, though, as bin2boot-based Selfboot Toolkits binhack the stuff before you make the CDI (unless the toolkit runs bin2boot.exe /nohack). The only reason I can see is to make your WinCE stuff work with burnerO's Selfboot.
Thanks for the information. I wanted to know because I'm trying to self-boot the version of Dream Passport that is on kRYPT's site and it says I have to binhack the 1st_read.bin. And whenever I've used self-booters before they always seem to come up with /nohack whenever it can't detect an executable in the 'data' directory, and the Dream Passport doesn't have an executable but says it still requires binhacking. I'll just try using DSSB and see what happens.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
NullBot
Null/Junk Robot

Post by NullBot »

az_bont wrote:Thanks for the information. I wanted to know because I'm trying to self-boot the version of Dream Passport that is on kRYPT's site and it says I have to binhack the 1st_read.bin. And whenever I've used self-booters before they always seem to come up with /nohack whenever it can't detect an executable in the 'data' directory, and the Dream Passport doesn't have an executable but says it still requires binhacking. I'll just try using DSSB and see what happens.

That's because all Windows CE programs have a EXE file in the data folder, yet Katana stuff doesn't. None of the Software here uses katana (besides dreamspec) so none of the selfbooters here have Katana selfbooting functunality.

If you want to selfboot it with DSSBS, make a blank TXT file, and rename it to EXE. then put that blank file in the DSSBS "new" folder. That'll make DSSBS think it needs Binhacking, and it'll binhack your bin.