Build

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
mercatfat
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Build

Post by mercatfat »

I'm sure this has been asked before, but bear with me.

Would an emulator of the Build Engine be possible? I'm sure I've seen the source lying around on the net. Being a 2D engine, it doesn't seem like it'd have too much trouble running on the DC.

Think of all the games it could emulate in a SCUMMvm fashion.. Duke 3D, Dark Forces, Redneck Rampage, that one Vietnam game, Shadow Warrior.. all on the convienience of your DC.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The Build source code is actually available. However, this is useless for playing any games, because they added the actual game to the engine. Each one did it differently, so they can't really be ported. And (as far as I know) none of the games that use Build have had the source released. But you could make your own games with it.
mercatfat
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by mercatfat »

Alright, that makes sense. Thanks.

What about reverse engineering, like what SCUMMvm did?
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

mercatfat wrote:Duke 3D, Dark Forces, Redneck Rampage, that one Vietnam game, Shadow Warrior..
Dark Forces isn't a Build based game (I think).
mercatfat
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by mercatfat »

Hm.. I was sure I remember it being Build 3.0, but I can't find anything to back that up.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Build was the best engine ever for making mods with. Sure the Quake engine is more powerful, but Build was easy to work with.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

I have never worked with Build, is it really easier to work with than DOOM?!?! I can't imagine, but if that is the case, it really needs a port to the DC so everyone can get into MODing and what not.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

XDelusion wrote:I have never worked with Build, is it really easier to work with than DOOM?!?! I can't imagine, but if that is the case, it really needs a port to the DC so everyone can get into MODing and what not.
Well I tried a couple of Doom editors and I couldn't get anything done on them. I couldn't make stairs, textures line up, and well hardly anything. With Duke3D I managed to creature a mini-game of my school which made the front page of two local papers in the area.

I thought Quake was easier to work with then Doom editors.
reptilezero
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by reptilezero »

Dark Forces didn't use Build. It was Lucas Arts engine they made just for the game :) Outlaws used an enhanced version of the Dark Forces engine though :) Don't think Lucas Arts made any other games with the engine after that; they just went ahead and created a fully 3d one for Jedi Knight.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

If any of you are having troubles with DOOM editing, I have plenty of tutorials on my page, and updates are coming soon. I personally use DeepSea which is shareware, but the best and VERY easy. As for textures, once you get the math down, it ain't all that hard to figure out.

ANyhow, where can I find the Build level editor? Shadow Warrior did not seem to include it.
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by MetalGearRay »

Quake 3 engine editing is pretty easy too. It's probably the easiest engine to edit. Just try GTKRadiant. It's a powerful and easy to use tool.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

XDelusion wrote:If any of you are having troubles with DOOM editing, I have plenty of tutorials on my page, and updates are coming soon. I personally use DeepSea which is shareware, but the best and VERY easy. As for textures, once you get the math down, it ain't all that hard to figure out.

ANyhow, where can I find the Build level editor? Shadow Warrior did not seem to include it.
Duke Nukem 3D has one with it. I think Blood had one with it also. Both games should be 10 bucks if you can find them.

Want to play my School level? Requires Duke Nukem 3D http://www.netacs.net/~jimbox114/SCHOOL.ZIP

Run school.bat so it changes the sounds and music.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Kool, ya once I get vmware installed (and see if I can get DOS sound support and Duke to run, I'll give that a go! Thankx!

As for Q3, I am shure it is easy to work with, Unreal was pretty easy to figure out, but what I am really waiting for is DOOM 3, I guess you can be playing the game, pull up the edtor, make a change, close the editor, and your change is there! :)

The reason I still Edit old skool DOOM though (well one reason of thousands) is that it is small, compact, and portable, thus being able to run on about any cheap hardware out there on the market today, I.E. a pocket PC, Amiga NG, and of course the beloved DC thankx to crt0, Grendel, and of now BlackAura for his GREAT additions!
Ralphis
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Ralphis »

Go wadauthor/wintex combo!
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Kool the DOOM people are coming over. :) So there are some of us out there that don't mind putting down our Legacy's, ZDOOM's and what nots for a little retro DOOM from time to time.