Please post/limit your "Bleem should be free" posts to this

Here lies the historical and much-loved bleemcast! forum, once frequented and moderated by Rand Linden himself, preserved for future generations to enjoy. All new bleemcast!-related posts should be made in the main forum below.
Schnapple
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Please post/limit your "Bleem should be free" posts to this thread...

Post by Schnapple »

... no sense in 500 topics about the same thing.

Schnapple
Last edited by Schnapple on Sat Dec 01, 2001 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
supersonic
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by supersonic »

i agree

and i think that bleemcast should also be released as freeware even if it doesnt play all games perfectly as a signing off from rand to his supporters
supersonic
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by supersonic »

please randy let it be freeware just release it as is
Sub Woofer
DCEmu Cop
DCEmu Cop

Post by Sub Woofer »

Why suddenly release something it took them 3 years of hard work and slavoring to do, which they basically got no money out of anyway?

I think a better option would be to release a full Bleem!cast, which could run any games, with or without graphical improvements, and sell it for a higher price.

however, I dont think either of the options will ever become reality i'm afraid :(
supersonic
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by supersonic »

but hay if they release it for free bleem could go back to work and work for a company that does cd copy protections hay look at bleemcast it haesnt been hacked yet.

i bet they will make more money out that
Bling_
YATTA!
YATTA!

Post by Bling_ »

just release the source......rand what's the story mornin glory!!!
supersonic
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by supersonic »

i still dont understand. y release the source.

so it could get ported to other consels still y do u want bleem on xbox or gamecube.

anyhow i still think bleemcast should stay on dc if he wants (and i really hope) he should release a free bleemcast with no enhancements whatsoever just regular old ass psx graphix emulation even if it doent work perfectly.
biohazard
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

listen

Post by biohazard »

No, no, no, no, no! You guys have it all wrong! Some people think that Bleem should release one last huge Bleempack? What part of the gravestone don't you understand? Bleem is dead. There will be no more releases. Not for PC, not for XBOX, not for DC, not for PSX, not for NES, get the point? Rand *might* release the source code, but thats it. There is no profit to be had selling DC emulators. I wish the best of luck to the Bleem team in their future endeavors. They worked hard on their emulators, they had the best one for PC. Sure, it didn't have 100% compatibility, but it improved the graphics on the games it did work with. If you want 100% compatibility and not-improved graphics, go buy a PSX. I will never forget Bleem, and the wonderful products they brought us.
MadGun68
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MadGun68 »

Unless he loses his sanity, I doubt very much he'll release the source to bleem. If Sony's lawyers were still after them just for doing single pack releases, you think they're going to roll over and play dead if the source gets released? That'd allow anyone to not only modify it to run other games, but port it to other systems. If they did release the source, Sony would be suing them right though the afterlife.

MG
MrSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by MrSiggler »

Even if the source was released.. from my understanding most of it is in SH4ASM code. Which means one would need to know SH4ASM quite well to make any really beneficial modifactions, i'm quite sure. Also, I believe it was developed using the Katana Dev kit.. which I'm sure would be needed also to make any changes to the source.. which of course would make any re-released Bleemcast illegal, unless it was ported to libdream/kos.. a lot of work.

And lastly as mentioned several times before, why release something they worked so hard on for so long for free? And also mentioned, sony isn't going to let that src survive, they will most likely buy it from Bleem! as they bought VGS.

At least that's my understanding.
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

Plus of course theres the fact that when programmers 'leak' something they made because they wanted it to get a release even though it had been canned (as happened with Thrill Kill) theres usually enough people 'on the team' for it to get done and nobody being sure who was responsible, so noone can get held accountable...

In Bleem!s case the world and their mother knows *exactly* who would be responsible if it happened, and Sony would no doubt take it to a civil court.

Thats persons initials being R.L....
Schnapple
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Schnapple »

Also, I believe it was developed using the Katana Dev kit..
Nope, Bleem used 100% reverse engineered compilers (according to them). In order for them to have a Katana Dev Kit they would have had to be official Sega developers, which they clearly weren't. If you're thinking Bleem used a pirated Katana Dev Kit, I doubt it - they had enough legal problems as it is.

Ergo, it wouldn't be enough for Bleem to "release the source", they'd also have to release the compilers, i.e., EVERYTHING they ever wrote for it. Not likely.

Finally, realize that Assembly code is NOT something you can tweak with and expect results. It's literally non-human readable code. Most open source projects aren't ASM based because it's pointless - unless you're intimately familiar with the program it's useless.

I (of course) say go play with the three Bleempacks we were lucky enough to get and be happy.

Schnapple
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Please post/limit your "Bleem should be free" posts to this thread

Post by toastman »

i hate to burst your bubble, but assembly is very much human readable. it was the first human readable programming language developed. assembly has been around when compilers were a group of guys who took assembly statements translated them into machine code and punched them into cards to be fed into computers.

the fact that most assembly instructions represent one machine instruction, and that it operates directly on the registers of the machine makes it a bit more difficult. but it can be done. you don't need to know what a program does in order to understand its assembly code.

as a matter of fact, since we are on the subject of languages and compilers. technically anything can be ported to the dc, whether the original developers wish it or not. all computer programs are nothing more than machine instructions. disassemble that into assembly and you can probably decompile that into c or any other language of your choice.

having the actual source code just makes it 10x easier to do a port.
SurXes
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SurXes »

Sub Woofer, did you mean a full system that played games by "full bleamcast" ?

what i was thinking was of a SuperSystem that played games for every single system created if this would happen Bleem! would be #1

Sub Woofer's Edit - Sorry, this page hass screwed up and if you want to see my response, visit the first page, I basically give my reasons why I dont beleive Bleem! should be free and/or the source code released
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

I'd thought about that before... (Super clone system)

They make/made NES, SNES, and Genesis 'clones' over in asia all the time. I'm not sure exactly how legal they are in the US. (Or UK or AU)

I know there are some pirate clones avalible the size of an N64 controler that have up to 100 or more roms built in. I KNOW those are illegal though.

There is a DVD player with genesis built in too.

What I was thinking would be make a SuperSystem like you said that uses the original cartridges and supported SMS, NES, Genesis, SNES, Gameboy(? and GBC?), N64, ps1, and plays DVDs. Dreamcast support would be nice... but unlikely. (As would PS2,Xbox, and Gamecube.)

Problem is... there is little profit to be made in the console market. (ask Sega) a couple of those systems would be VERY difficult to emulate useing hardware w/o buying the exact same chips as the original. (n64 and PS2 mainly come to mind)

A system that does all that would cost about $250 (or more) How many people would be willing to pay that when a GC is $50 less and a PS2 or Xbox is only $50 more? Expecially since the Dreamcast does most of those old systems... and a PC can do all of them.
bailey3003
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

RAND???

Post by bailey3003 »

is rand ever gonna reply to this??
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Yeah, I would like to hear what he has to say too. Has anyone talked to him, heard from him, or recieved anything from him that would explain why Bleem just suddenly left? I'm just in total shock from it all, especially since it seemed that they were finally getting back on their feet. They were on the verge of releasing new Bleemcast disks too, for...Smackdown, I think it was (not a big fan of wrestling myself). Wonder what will become of those disks, although I think I already know the answer. Sigh...it's just so depressing... :(
supersonic
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by supersonic »

he can release a psx emu ounder another name atleast
SuperSonic Creator Of The .sav to .vms NesterDc Converter Found Here:
http://www.zophar.net/utilities/dcutil.html

Thanks to Zophar for hosting the file and make sure to visit them at http://www.zophar.net :)
superfly_bonzai
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by superfly_bonzai »

heres a suggestion for randy,how bout he tells us how it may be possible to hack bleem i.e. any loop holes he knows of, sony can hardly take him up for that (although they would try). :D
how now brown cow?
Muad^Dib
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

this thread is EVIL!!!!

Post by Muad^Dib »

:eek: 8) :evil: :D