DCFactory DSNES SelfBoot Tutorial Questions/Comments Thread

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DCFactory DSNES SelfBoot Tutorial Questions/Comments Thread

Post by 404NotFound »

Place all questions and comments to the selfboot tutorial I made here to keep the bandwidth use low and to be helpful to the poor 56k users who have to load up all the images. I'll check this thread as much as I can. Remember, ONLY questions and comments concerning the DCFactory DreamSNES SelfBoot Tutorial that I made. The tutorial can be found here.
JSpades
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by JSpades »

I'm using Easy CD Creator... but ISO format is greyed out in step 25. What do I need to do to enable the format?
-JSpades
http://www.circleoftheearth.cjb.net
<Better Sig coming soon... If I get my questionsn answered!>
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

JSpades wrote:I'm using Easy CD Creator... but ISO format is greyed out in step 25. What do I need to do to enable the format?
As far as i know you can't use Easy CD Creator to burn cds... DiskJuggler works just as well and is free, but the free version only burns at 1x... you can get disk juggler here
JSpades
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by JSpades »

It seems the links to the mirrors for the demo are broken... I'm more of a linear person, can you give me a direct link to the DL page if I haven't the right one? o.o;
-JSpades
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

http://www.padus.com/downloads/demo.php seems to be as close as i can get... the mirrors may be busy, try searching on google.com for diskjuggler.
JSpades
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by JSpades »

On the main dcemulation page, there's a link under DreamSNES for "Diskjuggler"... what exactly is that for?

Oh, I've been trying those mirrors for a couple hours... nothing. Is it possible there's a different download location or possible someone could download/send to me? Because I must have this emulator... I need it with a vengance.
-JSpades
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

JSpades wrote:On the main dcemulation page, there's a link under DreamSNES for "Diskjuggler"... what exactly is that for?

Oh, I've been trying those mirrors for a couple hours... nothing. Is it possible there's a different download location or possible someone could download/send to me? Because I must have this emulator... I need it with a vengance.
i checked again and i didn't find any right away... anyone else knwo some?
JSpades
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by JSpades »

Okay, I finally managed to download DJ... but I ran through everything I was supposed to (except DLing the script in step 13, because the latest release of DCF already has version 1.1d. Do I absolutely HAVE to have 1.1c? Because I couldn't download it like in that step.

Anyway... I stick the finished CD in my DC... nothing. It reacted like it did to the copy I made of the web browser 2.0... the spinny thingy in the drive just stops spinning. I'm gunna try again...

Oh, does it matter what brand and if it's CDR or CDRW? Because I'm using a CDRW...

Oh, and I already had DSNES on my system instead of downloading it in step 17, which shouldn't matter, right?

The last thing I didn't do that wasn't identical to the tutorial (besides the fact I'm using an iOmega CD Burner) is I didn't disable hearts. Help!
Help me with a vengance!

(Edit: I used a Dr. Demento song as my custom MP3. Is that a bad thing?)
-JSpades
DJ Samba D
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by DJ Samba D »

JSpades wrote:Oh, does it matter what brand and if it's CDR or CDRW? Because I'm using a CDRW...
Dreamcasts cannot read CD-RW's without a hardware mod to your lens which I would not recommend you doing. Just burn DreamSNES with all your ROMs, MP3s, etc... onto a blank CD-R, and then it should work for you.
Jeeba Jabba, On Pinoy, wrote:First, Learn how to speak english and spell. Second, Yes you have the right of Freedom of Speech, So do I. I can get pissed at you're ignorant self for saying dumber things than Miko or Great One... Now thats low
JSpades
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by JSpades »

Well, I'm glad that there's actually something I did wrong! Usually I can't find a thing... like when I installed my Afterburner... 3 months later... kaput. Anyway, i'm out, so I'm going to borrow some from my friend. I'll report back with the results! *Sonic Advance tails style salute*
-JSpades
rtran82
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by rtran82 »

hi everyone..
i followed the instructions for the DCfactory self-boot tutorial written by 404
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10875
i downloaded all the files and had no problem installing them.
i understood most of the tutorial, but i wasn't sure about the ROM directory thing.
i have a bunch of roms on a cd and they are in their seperate folders with file name of the rom.
so i copied the files on my HD and followed the tut from there.
i finished everything up and i burned the image file. i tested it out on my DC everything was fine til i went to select a game, there were no games listed. so i tried to burn it again, but this time i extracted the rom files directly to a directory.
example.
my first atempt:
C:\roms\mariokart\mariokart.smc

second :
C:\roms\mariokart.smc

both came out with no selectable roms.
now is it because i didn't select a rom.lst ??
in step #28 you have a choice of selecting one or leaving it blank so one can be made for you.

i know.. its a really long post.
i hope someone can help me out.
TonecasT
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by TonecasT »

I'm having a huge F-ing problem, I'm really pissed off :evil:. I have a black sports dreamcast system that was manufactured in august of 2000, and it says WK bottom label pichere

I've gone through 3 cd-r's and still nothing to show for it. I even think I've been pranked as well. One of the DJ images I got just had some text in it - it was the utopia boot disk thing. it just said (I'm gonna paste it here) :
DC_CD_LOADER1_1 (that's the disk label)
GURKSAFT.TXT - Wo iss alles ? Wie geht alles ?
UTOPIA1.TXT - Alle anderen: Maul halten, ab jetzt! Sofort!
UTOPIA2.TXT - Alle anderen: Maul halten, ab jetzt! Sofort!
(yeah the same thing twice!)

OK. that was it, a whole cd-r wasted :cry: . Who pulled this stunt? I didn't even look at what the .cdi had on it, I just burned it to a cd so I could play some games....

well I guess it's my DC, the other disk I used has the IP.BIN file in the root directory with some 1DSNES.SH4 file and then some folders w/ ROMS, LOCALE, GFX, and SOUND - the dreamcast just goes to the normal sega menu screen, the boot didn't work. I used DiskJuggler and DCfactory all three times, can we get some help? Am I a moron? WHAT DO I NEED TO DO FOR THIS TO WORK? Sorry if I seem like I'm asking too much. Any help would be much appreciated, I have net space on my geocities site if you want that all I can offer besides my gratitude.
r.i.p. steve irwin
Zamo
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Zamo »

I've followed your very nice tutorial to the click, but when i put it in my 'cast it did the load cd player thing with 2 tracks.
i think my problems might be to do with the options in disc juggler on the advanced tab.

do you have any suggestions?
:lol:
Safe
rtran82
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by rtran82 »

i'm trying getting a I/O 53 error while trying to make a rom list with rom.lst creator.
can someone tell me what that means...?
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

rtran82 wrote:hi everyone..
i followed the instructions for the DCfactory self-boot tutorial written by 404
i downloaded all the files and had no problem installing them.
i understood most of the tutorial, but i wasn't sure about the ROM directory thing.
i have a bunch of roms on a cd and they are in their seperate folders with file name of the rom.
so i copied the files on my HD and followed the tut from there.
i finished everything up and i burned the image file. i tested it out on my DC everything was fine til i went to select a game, there were no games listed. so i tried to burn it again, but this time i extracted the rom files directly to a directory.
example.
my first atempt:
C:\roms\mariokart\mariokart.smc

second :
C:\roms\mariokart.smc

both came out with no selectable roms.
now is it because i didn't select a rom.lst ??
in step #28 you have a choice of selecting one or leaving it blank so one can be made for you.

i know.. its a really long post.
i hope someone can help me out.
put all your roms in one folder, no sub-folders, and select that folder... depending on how many roms you have the image will be larger or smaller. If you select 100 roms and the image is only 10MB you know you did something wrong.
TonecasT wrote:I'm having a huge F-ing problem, I'm really pissed off :evil:. I have a black sports dreamcast system that was manufactured in august of 2000, and it says WK bottom label pichere

I've gone through 3 cd-r's and still nothing to show for it. I even think I've been pranked as well. One of the DJ images I got just had some text in it - it was the utopia boot disk thing. it just said (I'm gonna paste it here) :
DC_CD_LOADER1_1 (that's the disk label)
GURKSAFT.TXT - Wo iss alles ? Wie geht alles ?
UTOPIA1.TXT - Alle anderen: Maul halten, ab jetzt! Sofort!
UTOPIA2.TXT - Alle anderen: Maul halten, ab jetzt! Sofort!
(yeah the same thing twice!)

OK. that was it, a whole cd-r wasted :cry: . Who pulled this stunt? I didn't even look at what the .cdi had on it, I just burned it to a cd so I could play some games....

well I guess it's my DC, the other disk I used has the IP.BIN file in the root directory with some 1DSNES.SH4 file and then some folders w/ ROMS, LOCALE, GFX, and SOUND - the dreamcast just goes to the normal sega menu screen, the boot didn't work. I used DiskJuggler and DCfactory all three times, can we get some help? Am I a moron? WHAT DO I NEED TO DO FOR THIS TO WORK? Sorry if I seem like I'm asking too much. Any help would be much appreciated, I have net space on my geocities site if you want that all I can offer besides my gratitude.
The Utopia boot disc in the Needed Tools section is in fact real. As for your burning problem, you may need the ATAPI layer fix from the needed tools. Also make sure you are burning below 4x.
L?mion
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by L?mion »

First, thanks a lot for the tutorial, 404!

OK, here's my problem:

I acted as described in the tutorial (except that I didn't disable the hearts and that I use Nero Burning Rom). When DreamCast Factory created the .nrg file, a DOS box popped up, telling me that an ip.bin file couldn't be found and if I wanted to "make" one. I didn't know what this file was for and so I was like "uhm...yeah?" and hit the "y" key ("z" because of german keyboard). So he asked me "What is the name of the binary? (usually 1ST_READ.bin):" and I was "um...maybe 1ST_READ.bin?" and typed this name in. The DOS box disappeared and the process was finished. I was like "um...YEAH!".

So I opened up Nero and burned that .nrg file on a normal CD-R. Nero asked me if I REALLY wanted to burn the CD in "Disc-at-once mode" and not in "Track-at-once Mode" because "Disc-at-once mode" would probably cause compatibility problems with CD-Rs and CD-RWs. But it also told me, that "Track-at-once Mode" maybe would cause writing errors. So I finally decided to burn the whole thing in "Disc-at-once mode".

Well, in the end, I burned that CD and it didn't work. The Dreamcast just boots to it's Windows screen as if it had no CD inside. What could I've done wrong? The burning method or the ip.bin thing?
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

hmmmm i've never heard of the ip.bin missing... can anyone else help? i dont use Nero either.
L?mion
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by L?mion »

Anyway, thanks for your try of help, 404! :)

In which path should the ip.bin be located? I've got one in the DreamCast Factory sub-directory /tools. Anyway, I get this DOS message box and don't know what to do about it.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

L?mion wrote:Anyway, thanks for your try of help, 404! :)

In which path should the ip.bin be located? I've got one in the DreamCast Factory sub-directory /tools. Anyway, I get this DOS message box and don't know what to do about it.
I've always had mine in the default directory and i've never had that problem. looking through the script it says something about /ip.bin or soemthing... try putting a copy in the main DCFactory directory.

Also, did you install to the default directory? c:\program files\dreamcastfactory?
L?mion
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by L?mion »

Well, sadly, putting a copy into the main directory didn't work. Unfortunately I don't have any webspace right now to show you a screen of the DOS box.

I tried reinstalling DC Factory, but that didn't work either.

I have installed DC Factory into C:/Programme/DreamCastFactory because that is my average program folder (german machine again).