PSX2DC news[good and bad]

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
ssj4goku128
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

PSX2DC news[good and bad]

Post by ssj4goku128 »

Well... I got some good news and bad news. The good pieces of news are that I got KOS version 1.1.7 up and running!!! Took a while, but I had to change around a lot of things in the environ.sh file. Now comes a piece of bad news and good news. The bad news is that PCSX version 1.2 uses assembly and I can either: A) Learn the Dreamcast assembly and rewrite the routines, or B)wait for GPSE to be released. I am hoping for the second one to happen due to the fact of ease of portability[it has a dynamic recompiler written in C]. There is good news still though. I am actually still working on porting the plugins so that when option B[or if I have the will, option A, but less likely seeing how I have a job that takes up 50+ hours of my life] happens, I can just port the emulator itself and make a release[hopefully]. So rest assured, I will be continuing developement of it[or rather the plugins] and once GPSE is released, I WILL port of the emulator over. Well, its time to get back to work.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

thanks for the news. i know it has to be hard working and coding, i never have enought time to do the things i need to do.

good luck.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Good Luck!
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
greentalks
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by greentalks »

I'm glad to hear about someone trying to make an emulator i have quite a few psx games and I wish you good luck my man. P.S. if you need a beta tester i'll be one
SpiderW
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SpiderW »

This sounds extremely interesting, I have never owned a PSx, but I have played many of there games, and they have a fair few nicely playing games..... Can't wait for it.
Crack a window will ya!
Turles33
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Turles33 »

Would it be posiable to enhance all the PS games graphics?
- Consoles I own -
NES
SNES
N64
GameCube
GameBoy
GameBoy Color
GameBoy Advance
Sega Genises[w/ SegaCD]
Sega DreamCast
Sega GameGear
PSX
PS2
X-Box
::--::--::--::--::--::--::--::--::
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Turles33 wrote:Would it be posiable to enhance all the PS games graphics?
Yes.
Check out Bleem for Dreamcast, or ePSXe for the PC.
Games look so much better on the emulators.
crt0
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by crt0 »

Uh... dynamic recompilers are almost always written in C. They are coded to emit machine code that is called with a function pointer. The one in GPSE or whatever would have to be recoded to emit SH4 assembly, if you take a recompiler from an emu targeted at x86 platforms...
SpiderW
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SpiderW »

Maybe the best thing to do is get a bleem and dicect it to find out how it works....
Crack a window will ya!
crt0
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by crt0 »

As far as I know (that is, all logical speculation and observation leads to this conclusion), Bleem! for DC works with the prinicples of dynamic recompilation and high level emulation to get the games running so well. Everyone says, "Bleem! doesn't emulate a PSX, just the functions the game needs to run." My response is, "not quite". There is general (but optimized) emulation of most of the PSX needed for when a function cannot be high level emulated, but when stuff like the graphics rendering routines are tracked down and the Bleem! team can tell when they are being called during execution, they can replace the call to that function (either interpreted or recompiled in their emulator) with a call to native DC code that does the same thing a whole lot faster, and looks better in the process. This is why their emulator would not play other games even if hacked, due to the pretty much entire difference in code bases from game to game.
Puckman
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Puckman »

how about that bleemcast that supposed to play 500 games
Life Sux and you know it.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Probably there is a version of Bleemcast that will play more PSX games, either badly or very slowly. The per-game release was to ensure that the game ran at full speed and more-or-less perfectly. The modifications made to the general emulator would probably have killed any chance of compatability with other games, because they would use a lot of speed hacks to improve performance/compatability. Applying those hacks to the wrong game will totally break it.
Cutman
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Cutman »

[quote="Puckman"]how about that bleemcast that supposed to play 500 games[/quote]

That's the PC version.
NeonGenesis
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by NeonGenesis »

Well, Cutman, for a while there at the beginning Bleemcast was also supposed to play multiple games for each disc.
SpiderW
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SpiderW »

I seriously think the Bleemcast projerct was rather stupid, never really gave the impact we all wanted, just made you pay money to play a game with better quality and a niceer controll pad.
Crack a window will ya!
Puckman
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Puckman »

i have to agree with u there

i wasted 15 bucks a piece for all 3 emus and they were all trash. the only games u could play on them were gt2 tekken and mgs and all of them played like crap.

i would rather have a crappy emu that plays all games then that junk
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Puckman wrote: the only games u could play on them were gt2 tekken and mgs and all of them played like crap.

i would rather have a crappy emu that plays all games then that junk
You say they played like crap yet you would rather have a "crappy emu"? That doesn't even make sense :o
TK3 and MGS bleemcast played the PS games very well in my opinion, GT2 might be a completely different story though-- I haven't tried
Puckman
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Puckman »

Puckman wrote:a crappy emu that plays all games

finish reading the sentence before u write
Puckman
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Puckman »

but thats my opinion of what i think
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

i wasted 15 bucks a piece for all 3 emus and they were all trash. the only games u could play on them were gt2 tekken and mgs...
Well you did know that before you bought then didn't you??
Puckman wrote: and all of them played like crap.
Played like crap? How so??