Dreamcast on Ps2?????

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
coasterboy
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast on Ps2?????

Post by coasterboy »

I have heard that it is possible to play dc games on a ps2. I dont know much about it but supposedly it is possible to get a disk that boots the ps2 so that it can play dreamcast games. If anyone knows anything about this plzzzzzzzzzzzzz tell. :D
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

nope. it can't. it can't read gd-roms, the technology isn't that much better than the dc. meaning it is impossible to emulate. something like that is saying a super nintendo could emulate a sega master system. there isnt' enough power.
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
cherok
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by cherok »

true, a lot of changes need to be made to the games to have them run on the ps2 hardware as opposed to the dreamcasts. An example of that is why we havent seen a saturn emulator on the dc (or a good one for pc), the system hardware requirements is too difficult and complex to transfer straight to another system with out months of practicing
yeehaaw, go sega~ and game on!
Crazy.Yatta
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Crazy.Yatta »

I beg to differ my friends!!

When i saw this post, i jus HAD to reply. If your in the world of DC Emulation, then you should know its possible to RIP DC games from GD-ROM. Its true the ps2's hardware cant read the DC's GD-ROM, but it CAN read CD-ROMS. And with the help of groups like Echelon and Kalisto, It is possible to burn DC games to CD-ROM. Therefore, there still is a possiblity to emulate the DC on a PS2, jus not with the original GD-ROMs. I (infact) know of a man that created a N64 emulator for the ps2. of course, he cant release it to the public for legal reasons (i think its cuz he used the 1964 emu source code for it). And on his little page, he also states he will probably be working on a DC emu for the PS2. Of course, i dont think he has anything to back that up with. Didnt take the time to E-Mail him, but you can if you want. I know the website that displays this info, but not his email:

http://www.otakunozoku.com/ps2/

So, in the end, all i have to say is...
BOOYA! :wink:
-(sorry if this post made you mad for some reason. it was my first and i didnt know people were so subject sensitive)
Last edited by Crazy.Yatta on Wed May 29, 2002 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Dave-o
(warning: My posts may contain things that will piss you off for some odd reason. Do not read if you do not have an open mind, or if you are arrogant or hard-headed)
EvilSporkMan
God Of All Things Sporkish
God Of All Things Sporkish

Post by EvilSporkMan »

burning DC games to CD-ROM is illegal in at least one country that represents a good percentage of this board (england), so i suggest you don't press the point or risk bringing down the wrath of your fellow board members...
You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

Crazy.Yatta wrote:I beg to differ my friends!!

When i saw this post, i jus HAD to reply. If your in the world of DC Emulation, then you should know its possible to RIP DC games from GD-ROM. Its true the ps2's hardware cant read the DC's GD-ROM, but it CAN read CD-ROMS. And with the help of groups like Echelon and Kalisto, It is possible to burn DC games to CD-ROM. Therefore, there still is a possiblity to emulate the DC on a PS2, jus not with the original GD-ROMs. I (infact) know of a man that created a N64 emulator for the ps2. of course, he cant release it to the public for legal reasons (i think its cuz he used the 1964 emu source code for it). And on his little page, he also states he will probably be working on a DC emu for the PS2. Of course, i dont think he has anything to back that up with. Didnt take the time to E-Mail him, but you can if you want. I know the website that displays this info, but not his email:

like evilsporkman it is illegal to do that. what does that guy have proof of, nothing! ya, i made a playstation 2 emulator for the dreamcast, but i can't release it. it really exists, i swear. come on. anyways it isn't powerful enough. like i said an snes can't emulate a sega master system. there isn't enough power, and it is one generation ahead. the playstation 2 could be considered in the same generation as the dreamcast, meaning it won't happen. the dreamcast is more powerful than the ps 2 in some areas, meaning emulation impossible!

i rest my case
Crazy.Yatta
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Crazy.Yatta »

corta2863 wrote: like evilsporkman it is illegal to do that. what does that guy have proof of, nothing! ya, i made a playstation 2 emulator for the dreamcast, but i can't release it. it really exists, i swear. come on. anyways it isn't powerful enough. like i said an snes can't emulate a sega master system. there isn't enough power, and it is one generation ahead. the playstation 2 could be considered in the same generation as the dreamcast, meaning it won't happen. the dreamcast is more powerful than the ps 2 in some areas, meaning emulation impossible!

i rest my case
Have you actually tried yourself? Then you have no proof. You have no room to talk, and as i said, he doesnt either. But after looking though this mans website, he seems to be very respectible. i dont think he'd lie about anything he put on it. Have you gone to it? go to it! (you know, it has snapshots of what he does. he DOES have proof of his work) its pretty amazing what this guy can do. im impressed. but since your so self centered in your own idea, you cant even see the truth, which is, you could be wrong. i could be wrong. who the frick knows?! certainly not YOU since you have NOTHING to back up your accusation but 'snes can't emulate a sega master system'.
Look, seeing as this is a debate, i cant really state opinions as facts (as you did a while ago). All im saying is, nothing is impossible until there is PROOF that its impossible. sooo, dont make false facts from your good judgement.

PS: dont get so riled up about a little debate. k? dont wanna get premature balding over a little forum anger. And also, sorry for mentioning the :shiver: Ripping DC games and burning em to CD, seeing as you all cant handle having a mature conversation without 'bringing your wrath down'. Besides, i was simply STATING it could be possible that way. and didn't anyone tell you? ROMS are illegal to...aww. too bad...
-Dave-o
(warning: My posts may contain things that will piss you off for some odd reason. Do not read if you do not have an open mind, or if you are arrogant or hard-headed)
unoproph
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by unoproph »

Crazy.Yatta wrote:I beg to differ my friends!!

-(sorry if this post made you mad for some reason. it was my first and i didnt know people were so subject sensitive)
Sorry, I ran across that guys site a few months ago, and haven't seen diddly from the guy except for screenshots and him saying it's possible. Yah it's probably possibly for the man to run MAME on the X-Box or PS2...because the man is a developer, he's got the kits that allow him to debug and mess with the systems, but I seriously doubt you'll see a DC on a PS2...hell I haven't seen DC on PC emulation yet...wow...it'd be nice, but no way...sorry man
"You're mother was a hamster, and you father smelt of eldeberries. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
Crazy.Yatta
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Crazy.Yatta »

unoproph wrote: Sorry, I ran across that guys site a few months ago, and haven't seen diddly from the guy except for screenshots and him saying it's possible. Yah it's probably possibly for the man to run MAME on the X-Box or PS2...because the man is a developer, he's got the kits that allow him to debug and mess with the systems, but I seriously doubt you'll see a DC on a PS2...hell I haven't seen DC on PC emulation yet...wow...it'd be nice, but no way...sorry man
I agree with you in your reasoning, but actually, there IS DC on PC emulation. Im not sure how good, ive been meaning to try it with high cube or something, but, havent found the time. theres about 4 listed here:
http://www.emulation9.com/console.html
So yes, its not IMPOSSIBLE to emulate the DC, but it may or may not be on the PS2. im not sure, but as you stated, this guys a Devver. he's got the tools to make some press kick arse stuff. Not all of us can afford a Dev system and its tools, but since this guys got em, it could be possible. soo, i sont know why your saying your sorry, because, its not been tryed yet. Im thinking of emailing that guy today, jus to get the skinny. hes probably forgotten with all that XBox crap. now THERES a system that could probably emulate the DC...but lets not get into that...
-Dave-o
dcemuromplayer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by dcemuromplayer »

it probably wouldnt be IMPOSSIBLE to emulate dc on ps2.
just not very likely to happen.
anyone who owns an emulator is a warez using software pirate

or they just stare at the main menu all day long!!!!! :)
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

EvilSporkMan wrote:burning DC games to CD-ROM is illegal in at least one country that represents a good percentage of this board (england), so i suggest you don't press the point or risk bringing down the wrath of your fellow board members...
By England I assume you mean Britain. And no, it's not technically illegal - you'll often see adverts in the back of mags over here for modchips to play all your 'backups'. Even GamesMaster have said that it's not illegal.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Crazy.Yatta wrote:I agree with you in your reasoning, but actually, there IS DC on PC emulation. Im not sure how good, ive been meaning to try it with high cube or something, but, havent found the time. theres about 4 listed here:
http://www.emulation9.com/console.html
These emus run demos (well those that have sites you can get to) and those that do run them are slow on even the fastest PC's, they do show promise but not for a while until PC's are consderably more powerfull. As for a DC emu on PS2, it's already been said the machine simply isn't powerfull enough, if one was made you'd be limited to slow demos if you could get it to run. As for the argument 'A SNES cant emulate a Master System' a more accurate comparison would be 'A Saturn cant emulate a PSX' the machines are like PS2 & DC just too similar in spec, the point being that to emulate a system you have to run the emu on a higher spec system.
az_bont wrote:By England I assume you mean Britain. And no, it's not technically illegal - you'll often see adverts in the back of mags over here for modchips to play all your 'backups'. Even GamesMaster have said that it's not illegal
Try telling that to Sega or Sony, the reason theres modchip ads in mags is for the import playing ability, just cos it's advertised don't make it legit we all know theres only one reason for modchips and it's not imports.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Crazy.Yatta
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Crazy.Yatta »

Hawq wrote:we all know theres only one reason for modchips and it's not imports.
Well actually, i wanna get one for my ps2 to play imports...ps2 imports are pretty cool. Beatmania for instance..

But anyway, in the end, i guess i may have been wrong. As you said, even the ones for PC are slow and cheap, meaning, the best we could do on a emu for ps2 would be next to crap, and not-working.. sooo, now we move on to the xbox =P. heh. i donno, would be nice to have an emu for the dc on a next gen console someday.

Now about that piracy thing. You know, if you wanted to avoid being illegal, go out and buy the dc game, then rip it yourself (which most people cant do), or find it online. then you can burn your 'back-up' and not be illegal ^_^. Because, to put it simply, its your back-up. Would that be acceptable by you guys, or jus the fact that your burnign a DC game is bad.. hmm :|
-Dave-o
dcemuromplayer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by dcemuromplayer »

burning a game that you own is still illegal.
because its not on the same media gd-rom --> cd-rom
so yes burning dc games is bad.

Crazy.Yatta
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Crazy.Yatta »

Man, thats stingy dcemuromplayer. Why does it have to be the original format? Your only burning it for a back-up, so when your originally bought game breaks or something, you have your back-up. i dont see why it has to be a GD-ROM to. What your saying is, the only way to get a legal back up is if you bought a replacement... whcih would work to, but i still dont see why you cant have a back-up on cd-rom.. I wish i could see that in legal text, where it says its illegal on cd-rom even if you bought the original gd-rom. :?
-Dave-o
skabio
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by skabio »

The only thing I have to add to this is if this guy was able to port the N64 to the PS2 and he can't release, can he not have some screen shots to prove it??? He provided pleanty of screens for the MAMEx port! Oh well. I tried to find an email but its not there to ask him!
"I moed the carpet I drank the shampoo I smoked all the wallpaper sniffed all the glue" - Beck
Crazy.Yatta
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Crazy.Yatta »

Yeah, but, i belive him on this. A guy with a Developer's XBOX, and a heck of a lot of knowledge on this kind of stuff seems like a pretty trust worthy uy. heck, he made an Atari 2600 emu for the GBA! and that he has snaps on.

But ya, it would be nice to '2064' in action :wink:
-Dave-o
dcemuromplayer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by dcemuromplayer »

Crazy.Yatta wrote:Man, thats stingy dcemuromplayer. Why does it have to be the original format? Your only burning it for a back-up, so when your originally bought game breaks or something, you have your back-up. i dont see why it has to be a GD-ROM to. What your saying is, the only way to get a legal back up is if you bought a replacement... whcih would work to, but i still dont see why you cant have a back-up on cd-rom.. I wish i could see that in legal text, where it says its illegal on cd-rom even if you bought the original gd-rom. :?
|darc| wrote:
rgtg wrote: completing the other post...if you have the original DC games, these backups aren?t ilegal, right?

No, because it's not on the orginal medium.

Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

Crazy.Yatta wrote:
corta2863 wrote: like evilsporkman it is illegal to do that. what does that guy have proof of, nothing! ya, i made a playstation 2 emulator for the dreamcast, but i can't release it. it really exists, i swear. come on. anyways it isn't powerful enough. like i said an snes can't emulate a sega master system. there isn't enough power, and it is one generation ahead. the playstation 2 could be considered in the same generation as the dreamcast, meaning it won't happen. the dreamcast is more powerful than the ps 2 in some areas, meaning emulation impossible!

i rest my case
Have you actually tried yourself? Then you have no proof. You have no room to talk, and as i said, he doesnt either. But after looking though this mans website, he seems to be very respectible. i dont think he'd lie about anything he put on it. Have you gone to it? go to it! (you know, it has snapshots of what he does. he DOES have proof of his work) its pretty amazing what this guy can do. im impressed. but since your so self centered in your own idea, you cant even see the truth, which is, you could be wrong. i could be wrong. who the frick knows?! certainly not YOU since you have NOTHING to back up your accusation but 'snes can't emulate a sega master system'.
Look, seeing as this is a debate, i cant really state opinions as facts (as you did a while ago). All im saying is, nothing is impossible until there is PROOF that its impossible. sooo, dont make false facts from your good judgement.

PS: dont get so riled up about a little debate. k? dont wanna get premature balding over a little forum anger. And also, sorry for mentioning the :shiver: Ripping DC games and burning em to CD, seeing as you all cant handle having a mature conversation without 'bringing your wrath down'. Besides, i was simply STATING it could be possible that way. and didn't anyone tell you? ROMS are illegal to...aww. too bad...
er.... i'm sorry i can't believe him. "roms are illegal to" thats why we don't allow talk of how to get them, and we wouldn't allow talk on how to use backup devices for the system, same thing.

"self centered" "don't get so riled up about a little debate" flame me, and dont' expect me to flame back, lol. i won't stoop to your level, :)

all these conversations are mature, except some people bring them down talking about illegal things...

"have you actually tried it yourself?" have YOU? find an emulator for the snes that emulates a sega master sytem, you can't! sure you could make one, but it would be super slow, 1 fps if that slow.

i personally believe it is a lot harder than just changing a few things and get an emulator work on a differant platform at near full speed, i'm sorry, unless that devkit is supreme above all, i don't believe it. why do they say the ps2 is hard developing for, these are commercial teams saying that. i doubt that some guy, who has a ton of background knowledge, still can't make it that easy.

i believe this guy with some other things, just not the n64 or dreamcast emulator
Crazy.Yatta
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Crazy.Yatta »

corta2863 wrote:all these conversations are mature, except some people bring them down talking about illegal things...
Man..its getting harder to quote stuff...

anyways. ok. most of this HAS been mature. I admit, i said some stupid crap, k? but i have been VERY VERY VERY mature about the illegal games matter. I jus dont see how you cant even have a discussion about the possiblitys of makings a DC emu on PS2 by jus saying 'it cant read gd-roms. end of case', when you can make back-ups. but for some reason, i cant even MENTION this possiblity without people flippin there lid about it. Did i say we should do it? NO! i jus said that the possiblity was still open.

Now, about the roms crap. I only stated that Roms are illegal because, isnt this whole sites idea to Emulate them? well, its not jus based only on emulators, but its the main idea. Now, if you have an emulator, what good is it without the games? so you download them, but now people are telling you to delete them within 24 hours. Who does that...please dont anwser, because i probably wont be able to take a 'I do that. its not right to keep them, because then its illegal'. Sorry, but its the sad truth.

You know what? i dont feel like posting on this stupid topic anymore. i cant wait until some admin or moderator comes by and LOCKS this piece of crap. I jus KNOW someone is gonna reply with something i said about the roms, and i jus wish they dont. Because im tired of this conversation. i can satnd it anymore. I DONT EVEN CARE IF THEY MAKE SOMETHING THAT EMULATES THE DC! YOU KNOW WHY? BECAUSE I HAVE THE STUPID THING ALREADY!. So, im done here. thats my final thought on this. anyone who thinks about making a dc emu for the ps2 should jus forget it, and move on to somethin more powerful like the xbox. or better yet, JUS BUY A DC!!

:sigh: glad im done with this. :x :sleeps:
-Dave-o